Abdominal pain = UTI? Something else?

MommyTino

Reaction score
I'm 29w and it started on December 26th. I woke up at around 5am and had this sharp pain in my upper abdomen and it was coming and going every few minutes, lasting about 10 seconds each time whether I was moving, laying down, standing, etc. I was freaking out but there was no blood and baby had been kicking lots when I went to sleep. It eventually died down to once every 30 to 45 minutes and I was able to get back to sleep around 7am. But when I got up they were happening again. I was thinking they could have been Braxton Hicks contractions but everything I read said those are painless and I definitely had a sharp pain.

We ended up going to the hospital and after a urine test they said I had a UTI (ughh!) and that it could cause the pain I was having. They hooked me up to a few things and the baby's heart rate was very strong and everything seemed fine. They asked for another sample to send off and would get the results back in 48 hours and my doctor would call if I needed to be put on antibiotics. Haven't gotten a call so far, but I do see my OB on the 6th thankfully anyway.

I never had UTI's before my pregnancy and I would have never guessed they could cause this type of pain and it was really the only symptom I had (no burning when I went to the bathroom etc). The last two days I've had no pain, but this morning at around 5am again I had another sharp pain, this time in my lower abdomen. Haven't had one since but still worried.

Just wondering if anyone had anything like this? Or perhaps can think of another reason? Baby was moving LOTS each night it seemed to happen so maybe he's just really kicking my insides. Just looking for some ideas and reassurance I suppose :shrug: Thanks! :3

I've never had a UTI, so I'm not sure on that one. However I just wanted to add that my BH are definitely NOT painless. I've been getting them since probably 34 weeks, and while not unbearable, it's definitely a "muscle cramp" type pain. Kind of a squeezing/pinching pain. So it is definitely possible that your BH could cause you pain,they're different for everyone.

Also, sometimes baby stretches/kicks at an awkward angle and that also isn't the greatest feeling. As long as it's nothing extremely painful, I wouldn't be too worried. I had a moment last week when I thought something was seriously wrong. I had a lump right under my ribs that was a little achy and I was certain that something was seriously out of place....until my other half commented that my "lump" had toes :blush: Turns out, she just thought it was a good place to rest her foot for a nap. Later when she started kicking about, sure enough the "lump" was gone lol.

Thanks for the reply! :D

Luckily I haven't had the pain anywhere since so I'm feeling a bit better about it now ^_^

Hey

Utis in pregnancy don't always show symptoms annoyingly.

They defo can cause sharp tummy pains/chest/uterus height pains but so can trapped gas believe it or not.

My midwife sent off my sample at a routine check and I had to call 2/3 days after to see if it needed antibiotics - which it did.

I've never really had uti before but apparently it's common in pregnancy and doesn't always show symptoms, that's part of the reason for so many urine checks by the midwife.

Try not to worry but call up to check on your results and if you need meds.

Do keep an eye though as anything you don't feel is right get checked just to be on the safe side. You'd rather over worry then leave things to chance.

Let us know what happens xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->