Abnormal Cells :-(

Coffee

I don't know
Reaction score
Hey ladies, i got a letter saying i had abnormal cells at my last smear and now i have to go for a colposcopy - eeek!
Just wondering if anyone else has had this? I have quite a few friends who had "small changes" with their smears and had to go back for a second smear to ensure all was OK. I've been sent straight for a colposcopy though and my letter said "abnormal cells". Has anyone else had this? Did you need further treatment afterwards?

Any help gratefully received as it all sounds a bit scary-mary to me!

Ive never had abnormal smears but I have had cysts on my cervix which I had removed. It sounds a lot more frightening than it is and its great that they can do these tests and catch it early. Just remember its pre cancerous cells and not cancer. best of luck xx

I had this about 11 years ago...
pap came back " abnormal" turned out to be "severe dysplasia" almost the worst kind....
I had the colposcopy done..i believe it is just a vineger solution that show where the cells are on your cervix. The dr.s didn't really give me too much info on it.....and I had a day surgery to maybe cut the cells off. I am not sure if this is part of the colposcopy or another procedure to get rid of those cells.
I had checks at 3 months, 6 months and yearly....
and have NEVER had another abnormal smear since.:happydance:
I just wanted to let you know that so many other women have abnormal results some are just mild and some like me were more severe.
so ask as many questions as you can think of........
I have never been told that I will have problems TTC but I am on cycle 7 and think i have EWCM issues from cervix.
I will be seeing my new Dr. soon about that.......
but when I google dysplasia and TTC there is no information that says it causes problems...
So chin up.....talk to your dr.s, take care of yourself..( NOT SMOKING) if your a smoker......
if you want to talk please PM me!!!!!!!!!:hugs:

I had this about 8 years ago. I was petrified as I hadn't had kids yet and all the worst came to mind. I had the conal biopsy done and everything was ok.

The one thing that conal biopsy did affect was giving birth naturally. Because of the scar tissue, my cervix doesn't dialate. So, 3 C-sections for me.

Best wishes to you and hope that all will be ok! :hug:

Me!! I had pre-cancerous cells detected about 4 years ago. I was sent for a colposcopy and they did further cryosurgery (freezing the cervix cells) to kill the effected cells. It didn't hurt that much. I then had to have 3 monthly smears, followed by 6 monthly, then yearly. I am now back to normal smear tests.
As long as you have regular tests, then if they find anything, it shouldn't be too advanced.
Good luck hun. You can also PM me if you wish x x

I had this last year. They said it was HPV :wacko: Scared the Shit out of me. But I think that they are testing everyone alot more for this and are finding that alot of people have it. My sister just went through it.

The coloscopy is not that bad. Dont wear your nice undies because they put some meds where the remove some samples and it will leave a stain. It just feels like a light pinch and really was not bad at all. Its more phycological then anything. You have a dr with a huge magnifine glass looking at you :shock: But at the end of it you may have some dull cramps but they go away in a few hours. Then you should get your answers in a week or so. Then most likely the Dr will want you to come back in 6 months for a nother PAP. If thats all clear, then you should be good to go.....

:hugs: Good luck :hugs:

My mum had this and after going to the hospital, she was all fine.

Good luck with it and im sorry I can't add more than that.:hugs::hugs:

Thanks for replies guys. I am sure the thought of it is worse than actually having it done! It's good to know i'm not the only one though!
Typical though - you think your only worry is TTC and then something like this comes along and knocks everything out of the water! When i first got the letter i thought immediately this must be why i haven't conceived yet (been trying 15 months) but from the info i can gather, it seems it shouldn't have much bearing? I certainly see a couple of you guys have all had kids since anyway, so that's a relief at least!

I am also glad to see others with the same medical issue and are pregnant!!!!!
That has been on my mind as well......
thank for responses everyone....

I had a colposcopy & then went back for laser treatment to remove the abnormal cells. Honestly there was nothing to it, the only bad thing is you have to put legs in stirrips & after the colop there's quite a lot of horrible stuff that comes out. You'll be fine :hug:

I had this too last year and had loop surgery under general anaethstic as I found the colonscopy painful and I find smears painful. I didn't have any pain following the surgery though and am currently having 6 monthly smears, due my next one about now!

My mom also went through this a few months ago. Her regular annual pap came back with abnormal results, which ended up being HPV. Her GP checked on it for 6 months, but nothing changed for the better, so she sent her to a gyno. The gyno did the colonscopy and did a biopsy and they found no cancerous cells, so she just has to go back for a couple 3 month then 6 month checks. Try not to stress out too much, I freaked out when my mom first told me. But things will be ok! :hugs:

I had this a few years back. I had to wait 6 months for the colposcopy (being terrified, imagining the worst) only to find out that everything had cleared and there were no more cell changes to be seen. To be honest, the colposcopy for was quite painful for me, as they snipped off the biopsy bit. But they also put in a little camera on a stick and it was totally weird watching all my bits from the inside on a screen as they were doing it!!

But they also put in a little camera on a stick and it was totally weird watching all my bits from the inside on a screen as they were doing it!!

Oooh if they do this with me, do you think they'll have a quick look to see why i'm not conceiving?! :rofl:
Probably not huh! It's just typical really isn't it - i'd kill for someone to put a camera up and check if all was well with regards ttc, but the thought of a camera for this - i'd run to the hills if i could!
Life's so tough being a woman eh? Things just don't seem to ever run smoothly do they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->