Abnormal pap

Powell130

Reaction score
My pap came back abnormal (ive actually only had one normal pap in my life). They would normally do a cloposcopy and biopsy but since i'm pregnant they're not. I do have to go in Wednesday for the OB to look at my cervix. She'll do so again around 28 weeks and once more at 8-10 weeks PP. If she sees cause for it, they'll do the biopsy then.
Part of me freaked out a little but i've had a cloposcopy and biopsy before and nothing alarming came of it

Anyone been thru similar?

I had low grade cervical cancer in pregnancy. No tests were done for it since I could not be treated while being pregnant without a risk to the baby.
My first pregnancy 2009 ended in a miscarriage after a biopsy. I had abnormal cells only then.
I would personally totally leave it alone with just abnormal cells. It can not even advance fast enough for you to be in serious danger while pregnant.
Pregnancy also has a regenerating effect and often abnormal cells shed after you give birth.
Pregnancy can also cause false positives which is why I generally would not want a PAP smear during. It is money making in most cases. Especially with many women already having regular PAP Smears.
Luckily abnormal cells and HPV is something the body can manage to clear on it's own in most cases. I had problems from 2004-2011 and suddenly in 2012 I was cancer and HPV free.

I did however totally change my lifestyle and diet. Starting with avoiding carcinogens in foods and cosmetics and I switched to a Paleo Diet (was Vegetarian before because I disliked the taste of meat).

She's not doing a biopsy or testing or anything during pregnancy, just going to look at my cervix Wednesday and again around 28 weeks. She wants to look again around 8-10 weeks PP so i'm assuming she may do a repeat pap then but idk yet.
I have no history of normal paps, mine have ALWAYS been abnormal except the one done when I was pregnant with #1.
Nothing about it really worries me as i've always had abnormal paps, other than the fact my mom had cervic cancer but i'm not even sure if it's hereditary or not :shrug:
I also had sex not the night before the pap but two nights before and I didn't realize until googling earlier than you're not supposed to have sex within 72 hours of a pap so that could also be the cause :shrug:

I would hold of on all internal examinations while pregnant. Especially if you have a history of abnormal pap tests. I would question the need for them while pregnant. It seems your doctor has a need to diagnose you right now. Ask what the urgency is. Be direct and honest. X

I would hold of on all internal examinations while pregnant. Especially if you have a history of abnormal pap tests. I would question the need for them while pregnant. It seems your doctor has a need to diagnose you right now. Ask what the urgency is. Be direct and honest. X

She's not taking samples or anything. Just going to look at my cervix. She's not doing anything to diagnose until after pregnancy

She's not doing a biopsy or testing or anything during pregnancy, just going to look at my cervix Wednesday and again around 28 weeks. She wants to look again around 8-10 weeks PP so i'm assuming she may do a repeat pap then but idk yet.
I have no history of normal paps, mine have ALWAYS been abnormal except the one done when I was pregnant with #1.
Nothing about it really worries me as i've always had abnormal paps, other than the fact my mom had cervic cancer but i'm not even sure if it's hereditary or not :shrug:
I also had sex not the night before the pap but two nights before and I didn't realize until googling earlier than you're not supposed to have sex within 72 hours of a pap so that could also be the cause :shrug:

I know she is not doing a biopsy, which is good. Just wanted to share the problem I had with a biopsy. I don't rven think it is necessary to do another PAP. So you may want to tell her to wait until after pregnancy. You are already over 15 weeks along, so that won't be a long wait. I also read things saying a pap smear after a certain gestational age is not advised. My PAP alone already caused cramping and bleeding. I think it is just stress your cervix does not need.
Idk how long you've had it for but it may take you long to clear it. Maybe it would be helpful to look into some lifestyle changes. Abnormal cells means there is an abnormally large amount of mutated cells. Carcinogens like Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Parabens etc. lead to faster cell mutation. So they could very well contribute to an existing cancer problem. Nowadays you can buy every personal care product Organic and if you switch to Organic for everything, from shower soap to tooth paste, it can make a big impact.

She's not doing a pap either. She's just looking at my cervix now, again at 28 weeks and again 8-10 weeks PP and then she'll decide if she wants to do a repeat pap. It freaked me out at first when I got the phone call but I was assured that she will only be looking at my cervix during pregnancy. I do want an eye kept because my mom had cervical cancer but I don't think that's my case since I've always had abnormal paps. I just don't want them to turn into something, ya know? I have had a colposcopy with biopsy done once before maybe 10 (give or take a few) years ago that was negative. I have only had two paps since then, one being the only nomal ive gotten (when I was pregnant with #1). So I'm not really sure what I'm expecting when this is checked out after I've given birth.
Im guessing she will look at my cervix with that light that changes colors to show abnormal cells and such, but I'm not sure. I will know tomorrow.
I read that abnormal paps can even be caused from smoking, and I was a smoker so that is definitely a factor too. Ahhh so much to think about and Google doooo much time to do it in since she's not doing any testing until after I've given birth so about 35 weeks from now

Sorry to hear your mom had cervical cancer.
There can be false positives for many reasons. And cervical cancer screening methods have also been critisized. They are not as perfect as they are made out to be.
This lady has summarized some findings:
https://againstallevidence.wordpress.com/2010/12/30/cervical-screening-lies-part-1/

You may ignore her personal opinions but she lists a lot of different studies and papers. Definitely an interesting read.

I do agree PAP smears are over-rated. I was impressed with the official information the NHS itself gives a couple years ago when I looked into this. The percentage of positive pap smears that lead to cancer even without treatment is very low and lot of people need invasive treatment to prevent one case of cancer. I don't blame you wanting to keep an eye on it but try not to panic. As far as I understand pregnancy hormones usually suppress cervical cancer. It can become a problem after the birth. I was also told by my MW that breastfeeding reduces the risks but I don't know if that is true.

It has been a while since my last pap, but my doctor won't even consider doing it; especially because I have had spotting during this pregnancy. He is of the opinion that it will only cause bleeding and has said it is proven that cervical cancers do not advance as quickly as they once thought they did (which is why they have been extending the period you should be having paps done). Baby will be here before you know it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially with your history. :)

She did see some mild dysplasia on my cervix she said from 3'oclock to 5'oclock so not a big spot. She said that since I'm an ex (recently, since pregnancy, quit) smoker that that's probably why, since my immune system isn't what it should be, my body hasn't been able to clear it. She's going to look at it again at 28 weeks and do a biopsy at my PP check up.

I have lots of abnormal paps too. It seems every other one is abnormal and then they'll do a recheck and it'll be okay, then another abnormal. Mine with pregnancy came back abnormal with HPV, and then the one I did after pregnancy came back normal. I've had a colposcopy once, a long time ago, but I think they've changed how they approach this now (here in the US or here locally, idk) bc after every abnormal pap, the only thing my doctor wants to do is wait and recheck with another pap. No one ever mentions anything else. My OB told me that even with HPV, it takes a long time to develop in to cervical cancer, if it ever does, so they feel just rechecking every year is enough. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->