Acne after having a baby

ValentinesGal

Clay's Mama & Expecting#2
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right group to post it, but ever since I had my son back in December I have had horrible acne - particularily along the jawline, chin, neck and shoulders. I stopped breastfeeding at about 3 weeks and just finished my first month of the Nuvaring. Is this something that will go away over time or should I go see a dermatologist? It's just so awful and even though some days are better than others, for the most part its just not getting any better at all.

Anybody have this happen to them? Just want it to clear up already! :(

Are you sure it's not the nuvraring? Since its hormonal bc it could be what's causing your acne. I've never been on it, but have tried 12 or 13 different types of hormonal bc, including mirena- some made my acne worse some made it better.
If that's the only issue you have with your bc and don't want to change then I would definitely go to the dermatologist-life's too short to feel self conscious! You could also try tea tree oil and check that your vitamins (if you are taking them) don't have iodine. Good luck- I know how awful acne can make you feel.:hugs:

Are you sure it's not the nuvraring? Since its hormonal bc it could be what's causing your acne. I've never been on it, but have tried 12 or 13 different types of hormonal bc, including mirena- some made my acne worse some made it better.
If that's the only issue you have with your bc and don't want to change then I would definitely go to the dermatologist-life's too short to feel self conscious! You could also try tea tree oil and check that your vitamins (if you are taking them) don't have iodine. Good luck- I know how awful acne can make you feel.:hugs:

I don't think its the Nuvaring since it started the week after I had my son and while being on the ring, it hasn't gotten worse, but really just stayed the same...so I'm figuring it is a hormonal issue due to the pregnancy. Just wish I had an idea of how long it takes for the hormones to get back to normal and this to hopefully start clearing up :( I'll have to try the tea tree oil...how often do you use it?

Edit: Stupid computer sent my reply twice and I can't figure out how to delete this one lol

Acne is caused by bacteria and can be triggered by hormones so it will have been caused by the postnatal hormones but once the bacteria is there it's a nightmare to get rid of. I would go to the doctor and get a course of antibiotics to kill off the bacteria.

I really feel for you, I have suffered with it for over 10 years and the antibiotics are the only thing that helps me with it. Mine is hormonal and gets bad when my period is due. It ruins your self confidence.

I use Clean & Clear spot treatment gel in the little silver tube.. works wonders, especially if you scar horribly like me :blush:

I don't think its the Nuvaring since it started the week after I had my son and while being on the ring, it hasn't gotten worse, but really just stayed the same...so I'm figuring it is a hormonal issue due to the pregnancy. Just wish I had an idea of how long it takes for the hormones to get back to normal and this to hopefully start clearing up :( I'll have to try the tea tree oil...how often do you use it?

I use tea tree oil with a little witch hazel at night. You could also try a product with Salicylic Acid or Benzoyl Peroxide and see if one of them works for you. More is not better with BP- around 2.5% is best. You could also look at the products your putting on your skin and in your hair and see if there is anything that's causing your acne to flair up more. A derm is likely to prescribe an antibiotic (which didn't personally work for me), spironolactone (which worked ok) or a retinol, which has the added benefit of helping with wrinkles.
I totally feel for you, I've dealt with acne for over 15 years. Only time I loved my skin was when I was on one of the 12 BC pills I took. Not sure about your question about the hormones clearing your system- you could try posting in baby club since a lot more ladies are on that board that have recently had LOs.

I haven't had time to get the tea tree oil, but I have witch hazel. Is what your using something that I mix or buy pre-mixed? I've been using a generic to Proactiv and it has at least 2.5% BP. I've dealt with break-outs since I was a teenager, but this is the worst my face has ever been. Along with trying these ideas, I think I'm going to try to wait out one more cycle of the Nuvaring and probably ring the dermatologist.

I put a little witch hazel on a cotton pad and then a few drops of tea tree oil- the tea tree oil by itself was too strong. Hopefully your skin will calm down soon but if it doesn't good luck with the dermatologist- some times it can be trial and error with what they prescribe!

I use Antiac spray, sounds a bit weird, you just spray a bit on a cotton bud and wipe it over wherever your skin is bad. Worked a treat for me x

Hi, I'm currently experiencing the same thing, my son is now 14 months old and when he was 6 months old I had a terrible spot break out but on one side of my face, do you find that the spots you are getting are no squeezable? Mine seem big and angry and also itchy but more lumps than little spots. I've had 2 courses of antibiotics which I've just finished a few days go and already the spots are reappearing, so off back to the docs tomorrow. :-( do you request to see a dermatologist or wait for the doctor to refer you? X

I imagine you could ask to be referred. Hope things get better for you. I went on the pill and it seemed to help clear things up. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->