Activities / extra classes I need some insight :)

OmarsMum

Reaction score
School is off in 2 weeks. Omar goes to several after school classes but most of them will end with the end of the academic year.

There is an institute downstairs in our building that is offering mental math/ abacus classes (ACMAS genius map) , the classes are on Saturdays from 1-3 pm. He used to go to arts classes on Saturdays from 12-1 , he loves those classes, he is not artistic (or wasn't before joining the classes), he didn't colour between the lines before the classes, he didn't know how to draw properly, but after a course of 8 classes only his progress is amazing! We are done with those classes & as it is too hot now to drive at this time & Ramadan is coming after 2 weeks, it is not easy to me to drop him at noon, so we withhold the classes until after Ramadan.

He is good with numbers I know he will enjoy the abacus classes as we tried a different program 1 year back and he did well but that institute moved to another area for away from our place.

I don't see the advantage of math classes :blush: or mental calculations, it is a nice skill to have but what is the advantage other than winning competitions? :shrug:

I watched the videos and those children are amazing with calculations, but I still don't see the point of it.

For me Arts & drawing encourage creativity & imagination, it improves fine motor skills.

He loves the arts classes, but if he goes to the math classes he can't do both.

His school offers arts & crafts after school classes from PY1 and we can go for those, but again they offer friendship club at the same time & Omar really needs that as he struggles with making friends at school.

He goes to sports classes and he enjoys those. But I am not sure about the math classes, I love the fact that they are offered in our building so no going out in the heat but as I mentioned I am not sure if they wil add value in the future.

I would talk to Omar and show him the videos and let him decide. Samy was finshing a sports class and when it ended I talked through what she wanted to do and she decided on an(other) dance class.
Also go in there are have a look - it might be that the children who go might be more on Omars level and will be helpful in him making friends.

And learning how to do maths calculations really does help train and exercise the brain and improve those skills.

I think it helps things like memory etc too which is fabulous, plus plenty of jobs (accountant, doctors and so on) need to be able to do quick calculations. Any way even if it doesn't help the future I sort of think as long as he enjoys it that's what matters.

Mental maths is really good for the brain generally so if he is interested in it I'd go for it.

To me extra classes are for fun and enrichment, it should be enjoyable. My DD takes dance and acrobatics, I don't expect her to gain lifelong skills through it. But she enjoys both. We are currently playing t-ball and she never concentrates through it, so we won't play it again.

He's old enough, so ask your son what he wants to do. He might want to do something different this time and the math sounds interesting. If it's not a long term commitment, it's always worth a try. My son definitely would have picked the math over art, he has no artistic bend.

he went with his dad and checked the math classes today, he didn't like the teachers or he place, he wants the Arts classes

To me extra classes are for fun and enrichment, it should be enjoyable. My DD takes dance and acrobatics, I don't expect her to gain lifelong skills through it. But she enjoys both. We are currently playing t-ball and she never concentrates through it, so we won't play it again.

He's old enough, so ask your son what he wants to do. He might want to do something different this time and the math sounds interesting. If it's not a long term commitment, it's always worth a try. My son definitely would have picked the math over art, he has no artistic bend.

I'm the same when it comes to classes, I go with what he asks for, he asked for the arts classes, he wasn't into arts but he wanted to learn, he drew a potrait on a canva and painted it in class, he was so proud with his work

The math classes are different, it goes in levels and there are tests & competitions, I'm honestly not so keen on the pressure it might add to him.

He goes to karate, football & swimming and he loves all those classes, he also asked to join a gymnastic class during the holiday. He is into sports those days, last year he couldn't even kick a ball or climb properly, he wasn't active and math classes were interesting to him. When I asked him today he said it's ok if I want him to go to the class, I asked him if he is interested and he said no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->