ADHD, Aspergers

natalies1982

TTC and mummy to 3
Reaction score
my son is 6 and was diagnosed with adhd and aspergers last year. he is now on medication for his adhd. he also has sensory processing disorder, hypermobility, fine and gross motor difficulties added on top wth alot of medical problems which hes under Great ormond street for.

any other mums who have children with similar would be good to chat

alot of people will either say or think im mad for TTC number 4 but its something we both want very much.

Hey natalies1982! My son is 5.5 with Asperger's, ADHD, hypermobility, SPD, and a tic disorder. No need for medication yet for him though we will see how the ADHD affects his school performance. He will start school later this month. I have heard all of the negativity about the possibility of another autistic child and it doesn't change us wanting our 3rd. I love my little genius son! He's difficult, but wonderful! Does your little guy have any intense interests? My son likes trains and the universe.

Adanma

yes matthew also has tics which weve been told is part of the adhd and is very anxious hes abit of a hermit hates going out etc

oh god yes obsessions, over the years its been thomas the tank engine, spongebob, lego, cars (from the film cars) space and planets which he still loves now. he is very much into science, maths, numbers and god the questions he asks are mad.

he reads books u would not expect a 6 year old to read.

oh and hes latest addiction/obsession is mario

since hes been on the meds its made a difference at school they have showed me work he could concentrate on that he couldnt b4 the meds.

does ur little boy sleep? matthew is a terrible sleeper hes on melatonin to help him sleep

He has gotten much better with sleep in the last year or so. He used to be up every 3 hours or so screaming for me. Yes, Mario! Although my boy is more obsessed with Bowser than Mario. Haha too funny! Ian's obsessions started with Thomas as well. He is very much into trains still and model trains. He is so into space and planets etc it really is amazing the questions they come up with. He's really into supernova's and black holes which I have no knowledge of so there's lots of googling going on here! haha! How was his transition to school? Has he made friends?

Adanma

transition to school was ok he went in fine but he never spoke to anyone but the teachers. the other children spoke to him but he never spoke back. he kept the same class in year 1 and towards the middle of the year he started to speak and now has a best friend but it took 1.5 years of the same class for him to interact with others. hes alot better now but still doesnt get alot of social cues if he asks a question he dont hang around for the answer or his eye contact is very poor. he goes into year 2 next month and they have now split his class but they have kept him with his best friend. no idea how that will go but will see as we have a meeting with SENCO end of september to see how he has settled in. hes never great after holidays every half term is a nightmare trying to get him to settle back in.

oh thank god for google matthew also has alot of books i mean massive books which he reads hes currently reading electronics for dummies lol

Ian made a friend in daycare. It took him months to interact with the teacher and of course every year there was a new class to get used to. electronics for dummies at 6 eh? awesome! Ian reads Train magazine mostly and we also get the atlas out. He likes to find different countries and cities in there. I think it's good they kept him with his friend. It will keep some sort of continuity from last year to next. I'm hoping Ian doesn't have too much trouble with teh transition. He has visitation with his Dad every other weekend and he's a whole different kid (meaning rotten) when he gets back from that.

Adanma

DS.. Xavier is awful with social cues. Our ASD diagnosis was within the last year, was just ADHD before... Starting this year in school he is taking social classes. A program called "iLaugh"

Xavier's big issue is kids his age don't "get" him. Adults (especially women)think he is the best kid ever. He is sweet and helpful and remembers stuff about people.

Pokemon, Yu-Gi-OH, Bakugan... he can tell you anything. Don't ask him to sit and read a real book though.. *sigh*

Hi my youngest daughter Jessie has sensory difficulties, many of her senses are under responsive such as pain, tactile discrimination, auditory discrimination, proprioception and vestibular and she seeks out these senses to try and compensate. This can make life really dangerous for jessie. I have caught her swinging at the top of the stairs many times or balancing really high up on equipment eg,trees, chairs, windows etc. Because she cant see the dangers and she doesnt feel the pain its no big deal to her if she falls and injures herself.Jessie also self harms, she scratches her skin (mainly her face which has left really bad scars)now we have a big box of sensory toys that she uses when she feels the need to scratch,swing,rock etc. Jessie is awaiting an assesment for aspergers too, shes got a photographic memory and is way ahead of everyone her age at school although she lacks social skills, shes very literal with instructions and is fearful of changes eg, walking home from school a different way or having a supply teacher. Its really hard being jessies mum at times but i wouldnt change her for the world. xxx

<<<<<<<<< Jessie is my profile pic

yes matthew also has tics which weve been told is part of the adhd and is very anxious hes abit of a hermit hates going out etc

oh god yes obsessions, over the years its been thomas the tank engine, spongebob, lego, cars (from the film cars) space and planets which he still loves now. he is very much into science, maths, numbers and god the questions he asks are mad.

he reads books u would not expect a 6 year old to read.

oh and hes latest addiction/obsession is mario

since hes been on the meds its made a difference at school they have showed me work he could concentrate on that he couldnt b4 the meds.

does ur little boy sleep? matthew is a terrible sleeper hes on melatonin to help him sleep

Jessie loves space and planets too, she can tell you the order from the sun, how big the planets are and what kind of temperature the planets are. She also goes from one obsession to another which have included badge collecting,dalmation collecting (soft toys), encyclopedias, planets, volcanos, earthquakes and the latest one is the simpsons

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->