adhd - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

loulou1980

Reaction score
harry-john has adhd,hes not on ritalin yet as they are trying others first.medication at the moment though i feel is giving him a dry mouth as he has stopped dribbling and it hasnt really changed his behaviour,does anyone else have a child with adhd and how long did it take for medication to start taking effect

my brother has adhd he was on ritain for year until my mum took him off it changes hes diet got him out more and that has worked better for he got very hungry alot her would zone out when doing certain stuff ie wathcing tv or u would ask him to got upstairs and get her homework he would get to teh top and he would forget what he went up for hope this helps

My step son has ADHD and has been on ritalin for a while now. I must say it's the best thing we ever did putting him on it. It takes about 3 months to take full effect but it's certainly worth it. We took him off it and he went mental, he really flipped and his behaviour was uncontrollable. He went straight back on it and he's so much better now. He's 11 btw

My son jordan, who also has speech and hearing problems, is suspected to have ADHD. Im currently waiting for an appointment to see the consultant, been waiting ages now :(
I cant wait for him to be seen as he will finally start getting the help he needs. I will finally be able to start enjoying him. We dont have a very strong bond, well i dont think we have 1 at all. He seems to hate me sometimes :(

harry has been under assessment since he was 2 1/2 and they diagnosed him 2 mths ago.was quite lucky really as hes not 6 till may and they dont usually diagnose them until then,but with his other problems such as developmental delay and poor spatual awareness they have linked them all up

Owing to several health problems with my niece we went to a uncountable amount of diffrent doctors. She was diagnosed with adhd too.

It got better after we went to a osteopath who fount out that several vertebras/dorsals were "blocked". He told us that there are studies which reveal that children with this sympthoms tend to get adhd since those blocked vertebras influence the sensory perception.

I would have never believed this if I had not watched my niece after this treatment. She is able to "concentrate" (compared to the time before this) and she is not forced to take any medcine.

if u suspect ur chil has adha or has it and they are waiting for appointments if they cancel or put it off the only advise i have is keeping pushing it kick off if they dont do as u ask otherwise they can slip through the net and it becomes harder for u to deal with it took my mums 2yrs to gfeta diaogines on my brother

I am a special needs teacher and have two children in my class with adhd. I have also been a nanny for a family of 5 kid, 2 of which had adhd.

It does take a long time to diagnose the condition and medication doesn't always work. Luckily they are finding more and more about what works every day. There are several different drugs on the market, ritalin/concertia types drugs can work for 4 or 8 hours depending if they are slow release. These drugs work whilst they are in the system only. There is a new drug on the market but I forget the name. This builds up in the body over 4-6 weeks but works for 24 hours at a time. There are less side effects with the second type of medication. The side effects with ritalin can be increased/suppressed apetite, weight loss, insomnia and agressive behaviour as the medication wears off.

Hope some of this info helps, can answer questions aswell.

I am a special needs teacher and have two children in my class with adhd. I have also been a nanny for a family of 5 kid, 2 of which had adhd.

It does take a long time to diagnose the condition and medication doesn't always work. Luckily they are finding more and more about what works every day. There are several different drugs on the market, ritalin/concertia types drugs can work for 4 or 8 hours depending if they are slow release. These drugs work whilst they are in the system only. There is a new drug on the market but I forget the name. This builds up in the body over 4-6 weeks but works for 24 hours at a time. There are less side effects with the second type of medication. The side effects with ritalin can be increased/suppressed apetite, weight loss, insomnia and agressive behaviour as the medication wears off.

Hope some of this info helps, can answer questions aswell.

All those who have kids with ADHD - can you look by now and recognise symptoms when they were really young -eg, 1 year old? My son has recently stopped sleeping and having huge temper tantrums and is also off his food (he has always been underweight but the HV seems unconcerned) Is this just normal behaviour?

what do health professionals say were it comes from???

I always wonder 'bout it?

is it really, what the name states as they don't get enough attention???

the son of the girl above our flat has it as well, but I do not know if he is on any medication, sorry!

just know in the beginning they suspected him to have Autism!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->