Adjusting pets to a new baby

brownhairedmom

Reaction score
What are you doing to prepare your pets to your new LO that is on the way? I'm getting concerned because my cat is very, very clingy to me and very jelous. When I go to the washroom, he sits outside the door and waits for me. If I go open the door, he sits by the door to see what I'm looking at. If I go downstairs, he comes too. He sleeps on my bed ALL day and his only daily activities revolve around when I get up and he has to follow!

I'm worried when the baby comes and its taking up most of my time and attention that Mickey is going to get jelous or over protective. He's already getting contrary that he has to half sit on my lap/half sit on the couch when he wants to cuddle because my bump is in the way! Also, I don't know how well he's going to adjust to not being able to sleep in my room and the sound of the baby crying. He's an old cat and he is used to having my full attention for the last 13 years!

What are you doing to prepare your animals for the huge traumatic even that is about to over take them??

Hum....I don't know sorry. But I am dreading having to lock our George out of our bedroom. He sleeps with me all night on OH's side of bed (when he's away...in the middle otherwise). If the door is ever shut by accident then he pulls at the carpet on the landing...all of our carpets are threadbare at doorways due to this. But we're trying to sell our bloomin house and he's not helping! Worse still, he's got a minx of a sister, Molly who just helps him! And I've caught them both in the moses basket once when the door was left open accidentally and I had to wash the mattress cover as paranoid that cat hairs and outdoorsie stuff would be on it!
I have a feeling we'll be doing a lot of shooing away of our poor cats when the babies arrive. Oh, and I'm def getting a cat net for the cot!

I have 2 Rottweilers and the only worry i have with them is they are big lumps and kinda un aware of how big they are and always knock into stuff so will prob be keeping LO fairly away until its a bit bigger

I think the best thing is to not make a big deal out of it. If you become anxious about it then chances are the animal will too.

Just do what you have to do and be very matter of fact about it. That's what I did anyway. They just have to get used to the heirarchy is all. :D

I have no idea what we are going to do, I have a cat that is the same and I am sure she's going to be upset when she's no longer the baby. :(

I didn't plan on doing anything. Boomer is great with kids already, Lady just needs to learn that she is a really big dog. They will adjust on their own just fine with no interference from me - especially boomer.

hmm that is an hard question to answer... My kitten i dont no how she would handle it either....

we've got 5 cats. we're not making a big deal of it, just over the last few weeks started shutting doors - had a bit of scratching but they soon got used to it.

they all have their own bed in our room and they will continue to sleep in here with us and the baby- hve got a net for the moses basket.

i was worried at first but i think if we play it down, dont make a fuss and remember to give the cats lots of cuddles and attention too it'll be fine

we've got 5 cats. we're not making a big deal of it, just over the last few weeks started shutting doors - had a bit of scratching but they soon got used to it.

they all have their own bed in our room and they will continue to sleep in here with us and the baby- hve got a net for the moses basket.

i was worried at first but i think if we play it down, dont make a fuss and remember to give the cats lots of cuddles and attention too it'll be fine

Exactly. They're part of the family so you just make slow adjustments and they'll get used to it. :D

We arnt going to do anything. We only have one dog, a yellow lab, and he is just a big old sweetie. He loves kids and plays with our neices all the time who are 2 and 4.

My dog and my oldest cat aren't fussed. My younger cat keeps trying to get in her moses basket and has become quite motherly towards her. It's worrying me quite a bit. I think it depends on the animals.

Im a lil worried but not too much ..
My new baby arrives on wednesday (PUPPY) but i did my research for the best breed for children an decided on a bullmastiff which came back as the best .. the main thing im worried about is when shim gets older him nocking shim over lol ?? coz hes gunna be huge ! ?? !

Im a lil worried but not too much ..
My new baby arrives on wednesday (PUPPY) but i did my research for the best breed for children an decided on a bullmastiff which came back as the best .. the main thing im worried about is when shim gets older him nocking shim over lol ?? coz hes gunna be huge ! ?? !

I loooveee those dogs. Beautiful dog.

I'm not doing anything yet.. I'm going to get a net for the moses basket for when bubs is in the room, but i've decided that I've got too arms, and I think they'll get on.. (hopefully)

My main concern is Socks (my eldest cat) might try and clean Lily like she cleans me.. or dribble on her (it's horrid slimy spitty dribble...)

Em

I'm just concerned because even when I leave for the week...Mickey goes insane. He'll start hissing at people and scratchng and baring his claws when I'm gone, especially if someone tries to take him off my bed. So I have no idea how he's going to react with another being taking my full attention and not being able to take up half my bed 24/7

Won't do anything in particular other than continue to give the dogs love too so they don't feel too left out.

We've got 2 cats and a kitten so I'm wondering this too! My kitten cuddles with us at night so we'll have to wean her off the bed time cuddles and give them all lots of fuss whenever we can I guess. Will buy a cat net too but I guess we'll play it by ear! x x

I'm just concerned because even when I leave for the week...Mickey goes insane. He'll start hissing at people and scratchng and baring his claws when I'm gone, especially if someone tries to take him off my bed. So I have no idea how he's going to react with another being taking my full attention and not being able to take up half my bed 24/7

I guess you will just have to make sure you give him lots of attention too. Make sure you stick to a good routine for him and the baby, you wont be minding your baby every second of every day, so in the times when your baby is sleeping in the crib or whatever, let your kitty snuggle on the couch or whatever you guys do.

I have 2 dogs molly is 2 and max is 4months only thing is i have started too notice molly is getting very protective over me, The other day my oh's friend came over and molly growled at him (this is out of caracter for her as she is a big baby herself and has never as much as sneezed at anyone!) so i put a muzzle on her (we have one for when she barks when we are out as not too [iss the neighbours off) and he lent over me too get a lighter and she tried too go for him. This has really worried me asi said its not like her at all =[[

I don't know about cats but once the baby is part of the family clever dogs will protect them like they do us. It was like that with my parents' dogs when my sister and her first baby were at home. One of my 2 is very clever and I can well imagine her alerting me to things if for some reason I haven't realised. She wakes us up if the other dog has an accident! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->