Adjusting to two kids

HopingFor2v1

Soon to be Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I was hoping you could give me some advice on adjusting to having two kiddos. DD2 is not even 3 weeks old I feel like I went from taking care of 1 child to taking care of 20. It doesn't help that I've been diagnosed with PPD and constantly feel overwhelmed doing the simplest of tasks, but I was wondering if you have any tips for this struggling mommy.

Hi :)
Looks like we have similar age gaps between our eldest and youngest. It definitely is a lot different to having one, I've had twins but I think just having one more would still have been a big adjustment. My son started school this year and it's nice that he has his own time there so I can get time to bond with the babies but in reality, it's a bit chaotic making sure we're all ready for the school run in the morning and timing their feeds right and doing homework and housework all on little sleep. I don't have much advice because I'm finding it hard too but you're not the only one! Xx

I found the first 8-10 weeks of having Emma to be really stressful - I was so anxious, sad, kept crying all the time and every day tasks seemed impossible. Getting my son to school and back home again honestly made me feel about as nervous as getting up on a stage to sing in front of people. I didn't go to the doctor about it as I had PPD with Sophie and hated the stigma that's followed me ever since from health professionals.

I think having such big age gaps was harder than the 23 month one I had between Thomas and Sophie - having older kids that need to go places, and can voice their frustrations with you or the baby was super difficult.

I can't promise you things get easier, but just after Emma was about 8 weeks old I realised that I was less anxious, that the older kids were adjusting, and that we were all getting used to things. Now, I would say I am content and happy and have no anxiety or depression, we've all adjusted and it's so much better and easier. At the time it felt impossible to me that things would improve but it really has done so a million fold.

A newborn is hard enough as it is, but with an older kid it feels like you are being stretched thin and it's such a worrisome and exhausting thing to go through. Very stressful. I couldn't ever see how I would adjust or function but I really have a hold on things now and Emma's a delight.

I struggled with the 3rd and was very sad and down but by 3-4mths it felt easier to manage xx

I found the first 8-10 weeks of having Emma to be really stressful - I was so anxious, sad, kept crying all the time and every day tasks seemed impossible. Getting my son to school and back home again honestly made me feel about as nervous as getting up on a stage to sing in front of people. I didn't go to the doctor about it as I had PPD with Sophie and hated the stigma that's followed me ever since from health professionals.

I think having such big age gaps was harder than the 23 month one I had between Thomas and Sophie - having older kids that need to go places, and can voice their frustrations with you or the baby was super difficult.

I can't promise you things get easier, but just after Emma was about 8 weeks old I realised that I was less anxious, that the older kids were adjusting, and that we were all getting used to things. Now, I would say I am content and happy and have no anxiety or depression, we've all adjusted and it's so much better and easier. At the time it felt impossible to me that things would improve but it really has done so a million fold.

A newborn is hard enough as it is, but with an older kid it feels like you are being stretched thin and it's such a worrisome and exhausting thing to go through. Very stressful. I couldn't ever see how I would adjust or function but I really have a hold on things now and Emma's a delight.

Thank you for your reply! This is exactly how I feel. I'm glad things started to ease up on you around 8 weeks....gives me hope!

It does get easier. I struggled a bit at first as it is difficult to divide your time when they both want attention but you will get into the swing of things after a while and it will just be second nature :)

It does get easier! I posted in here a similar post as I felt like I'd gone for having lovely quality time with my son but then I was splitting my time.

It is tough and like a mother post the school run is tough! But it does settle down and now at 11 weeks in finding it easier.

I found trying to do a similar much for my son (making his tea in the day, washing etc) in the day wholeness baby slept. That way when he got home from school, the whirlwind was abut easier as the new I only had to heat his tea up. Someone said to me on here that although we don't have time for the older one, we have given them a sibling which is an awesomeness present.

Take care x

It does get much easier. I struggled for about 4 months. It was this time when the colic disappeared (not would be inconsolable between 4 and 9pm).
Then having 2 becomes a routine.
Now dd2 is nearly 11 months she is trying to walk and dd1and dd2 love playing with each other.
I do find im still frazzled at5pm though .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->