Advice after lip/tongue tie release

AnnaSaRa

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

My little girl is 19 days old and we have been having latch issues from the beginning. She does latch on and feeds and she is gaining very well, but there was still some pain and I noticed the latch was very shallow.
Anyways, we went to see a lactation consultant yesterday where they made suggestions to my technique and they found a lip and tongue tie which they released.
She is doing alright today (she doesnt seem to be in pain) but she is still having issues latching on. I know the results arent going to happen overnight, but to other moms who have been through this - how long after the release did your baby start to improve? I am feeling so frustrated.. I feel like we have changed so many things and maybe she is just overwhelmed ? :shrug:

Thank you so much for any advice :)

Did you go to the IBC (Jack Newman's clinic)? If so then I imagine the release was done properly. If not if things don't improve in a few weeks I would go there for a check. My son's wasn't done nearly far enough the first time and we went there and it was released properly. I have to stress how important the stretching is. Even with weeks of stretches my son still has had reattachment.

We have had three TT releases (all with scissors) and 1 upper and lower lip tie releases with laser. For all but the first I didn't notice improvement until after a few days. We also had to add CST in to help. The CST worked wonders.

To be honest I still have some pain that comes and goes from my right nipple. I think it is because we didn't have my son's lip ties released until he was almost a year and he had over 11 months of learning bad latch and it is now just how he latches. Also, my right nipple is larger than the left. That happened at the end of my pregnancy I was like WTF? I think he might have a harder time with that one and maybe that is why there is pain. When he goes for CST it does help.

I also found that my son had the worst time on days 3-4 after a release. Then it was much better by day 5.

Good luck! If you have any issues go to the IBC (internation breastfeeding centre) or go back again if you have already been. We have been a bunch of times even when my son was older and they are tons of help.

Thank you so much Care! Yes we did go to the IBC so I'm sure it was done properly. We have a follow up appointment next week but I was just wondering if all this was normal. How often do you do the stretching? We were told 5-6x times per day, its so hard especially for her tongue since she fights us when we put our fingers in!
They also recommended CST for us - I wasn't sure about it but it sounds like it really helped you and your son.
My left nipple is larger than my right (so odd, like you it happened during pregnancy) and that is the nipple she mainly has problems with.

I'm so glad the release helped you, even after 11 months. I guess its not a "quick fix" but something that takes time and may need to be re-evaluated and redone.
Thank you so much for your advice :hugs:

I was told every 4 hours. 6 maximum because it is around then that reattachment starts. Believe me, the stretching is so much easier when they are young. We had releases at 2 days, 3 months, 4 months, and 11 months (for tongue and lips) and it was so much easier 4 months and younger. At 11 months I had to forcibly hold him so tight and fight to do it. Plus he was sleeping through the night then so I had to wake him and do it. I felt awful, because he was older and was looking at me like "mom, why are you hurting me?". Not a good experience.

Yes, the CST worked wonders. My son also had high tone and was tight and I could visibly see him loosening during a session. My husband thought it was hocus pocus but he was amazed. I wish he was in the room to see it happen before his eyes though.

It will get better. And they are so helpful there. I drove 2 hours each way just to go there every time I was lost and in pain. We had nursing strikes too. So glad we have them, I hope they don't have to close.

Thank you so much :hugs: You really give me hope. Her latch is already getting better, I don't know if its the release or my position (or both) but she is doing well and my nipples don't hurt when she latches and feeds.

My LO cries when I do the exercises but I put her on the breast right away and she calms down. I do feel bad but I know its for the best !

I am glad things are already improving!

We got ours done last Monday and it took maybe 3/4 days to really get back into the swing of things. The first 2 days were awful he kept coming off and fussing and crying at the breast...but he soon worked it out.

Hope things get better soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->