Advice for having toddler home during birth

aliss

Reaction score
Any advice from experienced mamas? My son will be with us for the birth, he will be 2.5 years so I can't really explain much to him. I have a doula too so OH can help with our son.

I had my mum there to be on Toddler Duty if needed. Turned out he slept right through it, though!

There are some lovely children's books about birth. I like "Hello Baby" :)

I've not done it yet, but in preparation we've been watching birth videos and talking about noises I might make (!). I've got a bag of sticker books, crayons, fuzzy felts and a couple of new books that we'll get out if she's awake and I'm planning to go and buy a new toy today that should have a bit of novelty value to keep her entertaining herself for a while!

I've also enlisted the help of a few friends who have said they could take her to the park if necessary, and MIL will come and stay with her should I need to transfer.

It's all a bit of an unknown really! Very hard to plan for something when you don't know when it will be or how everyone involved will feel.

loving this thread, and it is good to see others hoping to get their lo's involved iykwim. I am hoping I give birth during the night so DD will sleep through it. BUt if not hoping my sister will have her (who lives not far away) whenb things start to get 'heated' iykwim and can bring her back asap after baby is born

I am not doing a home birth but hope to labour at home as long as possible. With DS, I laboured at home for all but the last 5 hours (3 hrs of pushing).

However, if it is in the night, I am worried I will wake up my son. I don't really want to head to the hospital early but would love to hear strategies about blocking vocal toning (which got me through my first labour).

He has a white noise machine. I was thinking maybe I should amp up the volume for the next few days.

You could try focussing on breathing. But if being vocal is what helps, then just do that. You're not likely to wake your older child, and if you do a calm and simple explanation will do the trick.

let say you are in labour at 2am and will shortly be heading to the hospital. Will someone be there to look after your older child? Or will you need to wake him ANYWAY to drop him round at someones house?

I think I'm just going to ask the old lady across the road to take him if it's the day, if he isn't able to handle it! She won't interfere with me like FIL..

At 2.5 he will understand a lot more than you think :-D

Put some videos on while he potters around and see if he pays attention to the birthing noises etc. and you can talk about them. With a doula and OH I bet he'll be fine though. If OH has to see to him for anything you will still have your doula for support xx

I would have someone there specifically for your toddler to help explain, calm down, etc.

Weeelll... Ruby was accidentally my only birth partner as Scarlett came so fast! She was watching tv, but she was interested and did ask me if I was ok a few times and we often talk about it now and she seems glad she was there.

Thanks girls!

Well it has been settled, my mom and sister are flying out for a few weeks and should be here during the birth (unless I am unusually early but they will be here 38-42 weeks) to cover this for me! If he wakes up and is frightened, they will take him out of the house.

He loves them so much so it won't be a fight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->