Advice for increasing pumping output?? Not pumping enough to cover feeds...

Itsychik

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice as to how I can increase the amount I'm able to pump?

I've been back at work for 5 weeks and my DD takes 2 bottles while at the child minder during the day. She started only drinking 2.5 - 3 oz from a bottle per feed but now she's taking 4oz. When I pump I'm generally able to get 3oz total (I pump from both sides, although DD only feeds from one side per feed normally). I pump twice while at work (when she would normally be feeding) but now I'm not able to pump what she drinks while away, so I've started pumping late at night (after DD is asleep) to make sure I have enough for the next day... but at night I get even less, 1 -2 oz total!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can pump more? I have an electric pump (medela swing) and I use breast compressions and even try hand expressing after done with the electric pump but the 3oz is really the average of what I get (every once in a while I'll get up to 5 oz, but these are few and far between).

I have to have surgery next month so I was hoping to pump at night to build up a freezer stash to cover the feeds while I'm in the hospital but at this rate I'll never have enough :(

Any suggestions?

Are you drinking tons of water? Maybe try one of those lactation cookie recipes?

If you want to increase supply you should pump for a few minutes after your milk has stopped flowing which will stimulate further production.
Xx

I would get a double pump and pump both sides. IIRC, the Swing is a single. It helps to stimulate both sides at once, and in the time you spend pumping normally you can pump each breast twice as much. Or, you could spend half as much time pumping, and add a session. I still pump 3x per day, and DS is 18 months!

Drink a lot of water, stay very hydrated. Relax. Get a hands-free pumping system, use a bra or the "ponytail holder method". In fact, I'm pumping, hands free, right now, both sides, and just got my second let down.

3oz would be AMAZING for me. I occasionally get that in the first pump of the day. But usually 2-3oz. That is why I pump 3x. I get the same amounts whether I pump 2 or 3 times (I tried dropping a session, I make less). I'd really suggest adding a session, or even two if you can. Can you pump before you leave in the AM? Get to work early and pump before you start working? Mornings are the best times. If your child is sleeping through, you can always get up and pump in the night (lovely, but great for supply and easy way to build up "extra").

Hope I don't sound rambly, I'm tired (I'm pregnant again and DS didn't sleep well last night) and it's the end of the day....

Do you pump first thing in the morning? This is the only time I can get enough out for a feed

I also tend to get the most by pumping in the morning. When DD wakes for a morning feed (between 5am and 7am ish) I feed her on one side and pump on the other. I usually get a good 4oz from one breast.

X

Thanks for all the replies ladies :flower:

The medela swing is indeed a single pump. I've just bought the Medela Traveller which is double but have yet to use it, so maybe that will help.

I will be making lactation cookies this weekend (and upping my water intake) to see if that helps. But I don't necessarily think it's a "supply" issue as my DD is satisfied (from one side!) during feedings I'm just not able to pump the same amount (although maybe if I'm able to boost supply I'll be able to pump more as a result as well).

My DD does not sleep through the night... so I'm up with/feeding her at 3am and 5 or 6am. Then I feed her again at 9am before I leave her with the child minder (and then I pump at 12:30pm, 3:30pm, and feed her again at 7pm. Up until a week ago she was then cluster feeding from 9:30 - 10:30pm before finally falling asleep, but now she's been going to bed by 8, so I've been pumping 'extra' at 11:00pm-ish). I don't really have a 'morning' pump since she's still feeding every 3-ish hours at night...

Thanks for all of the suggestions!! Greatly appreciated :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->