• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Advice/help please.. Baby on 10th centile and dropping

Paloma123

Cooking number 2
Reaction score
Wow I really don't know where to start, but my first baby was born low birth weight which has meant this pregnancy I've had to have growth scans and monitoring etc...

Everything seemed to be okay, but now at 32 week growth scan it has shown her weight is tapering off and she's now bang on the 10th centile.
The consultant has told me that I am to go for another growth scan in 2 weeks, (so I shall be 34 weeks then) and if baby has dropped below this line, they need to plan to get her out. Obviously I am scared and thinking what the hell is wrong with my body that means I can't ever manage to produce a functioning, working placenta to feed a baby?!

They have given me a round of steroid injections so I'm assuming they're more than likely convinced she will be coming out soon,

My questions are this...

1: To stay on the 10th centile line, she has to gain 1lb in 2 weeks. Is this possible?! It took her 4 weeks to gain just over a pound since the 28 week scan so I'm not holding out much hope..

2: my previous was an emcs, is natural delivery safer for an early baby than a section? I really don't know what to do for the best if they give me an option. I just want her safe and well as can be, obviously.

I can't sleep, I'm having nightmares, I can't eat.. It's all I think about.

If anyone can offer any advice or experience that would be brilliant. I know she wouldn't be a preemie as such and there's so many of you with bigger problems and earlier babies, but I am quite scared xxx

awwww hun :hugs: my 1st was a small baby at 5lb 14oz at 40+6

1lb in two weeks should be managable they say half a pound a week is average at your stage :)

im sorry i cant comment on which is safer but if weight is the only issue i would think you could do either hun, either a natural or a planned section which is much slower and nicer than an emcs.

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

I had a daughter with iugr at 29 weeks. Sadly my Lucy died at 9 days old as she stopped growing full stop at 22 weeks so she wasn't even on a centile. I through the same thing scans every week and constant worry. I think the safer option is a cection. I wouldn't want her to be under any stress as she's only small and would be coming early . Hope it all goes well xxx

I was induced at 33 weeks with Preeclampsia. The doctor said the baby has to come out, I was heading for a stroke with unmanageable severely high blood pressure, the baby was measuring small for the gestation. But the doctor said each day is increasing the risk something dangerous CAN happen, but that there wasn't anything that immediately screamed EMERGENCY within that moment. So they were happy to trial an induction (which ended up very quick and successful). I had previously given birth naturally so that already increased my chances for a successful induction. Also severely Preeclamptic women also have a tendency to labour well as their bodies are more than keen to get rid of the sick placenta.

So it really is a big range of factors all taken into consideration. If a natural birth is something that was important to you then start asking now about the possibility. If they schedule you for a section in 3 days time, ask if it's obviously not an immediate emergency can you try for an induction.

I would personally prefer to give birth naturally while things are worrying. Then to keep baby in until things turn totally dire and an EMCS is the only option, which was also my hospitals opinion. Although I guess it would also depend on the gestation, I had a 33week preemie and having another doesn't scare me at all, doctors aim for 34 weeks and we were only just shy. However if we were looking at micro-prem gestations I'd probably be desperate to hang onto each day obviously

If you've had placenta issues before, are you on blood thinners? Aspirin for example? If not, call and ask whether you can take it. Otherwise, as silly as it sounds I'd be tempted to try and eat ice cream and other fattening foods to help baby grow (that's purely a gut feeling, of course, not medical advice).

Fingers crossed for you fxfxfxfx

Same happened to me. At 32 weeks, she was on the 10th centile. A week and 1 day later, she had dropped to the 5th. I was given twice weekly scans to keep an eye on her but she continued to drop slowly. Eventually, at 38 weeks, they induced me (turned into emcs)

The blood flow from the placenta was severely restricted and, should I ever get pregnant again, I'll be on aspirin and consultant led from the start.

She was born weighing 4lb 4oz but was very healthy, didn't have to go to nicu and is now a very healthy 9lb+ 2 month old.

Riley was born 4lbs 6 oz, he stopped growing (static growth). I told them but they didn't check for 7 weeks! He was emergently delivered. Try not to worry.. He was born on 0.4 centile and now he is such a clever, healthy little boy.

I'm so frightened about having another due to iugr (inter uterine growth restriction) as there's a high chance I'll get it again. Just retry to relax and trust your consultant, as hard as it is. (Complete hypocrite here I know as I never trust them and do my own studies). I've also been assured by doctors that iugr babies are very safely born by caesarean if early, it's actually safer for them but more annoying for us. Riley was a natural birth but if it happens again I'll be in your situation and likely need a c section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->