Advice needed about my 7 year old son...

ljw1980

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this web site but am at my wits end over my 7 year old son and would appreciate some advice.

My son has always been a very independant, happy child until a couple of months ago when he began to have issues being alone in the house. The problem started with him beginning to be afraid to sleep alone at night. He would cry and work himself up to the point where he was hysterical and would tell us he was scared of burglars breaking into the house. We tried the usual methods of reassuring him, sitting with him until he fell asleep and trying to support him in these new fears but none of them have worked. It got to the point where he was choosing to sleep on the floor in our bedroom in a sleeping bag rather than be in his room alone.

The problem then escalated to the point where he now follows us around the house as he is too scared to be alone. He will follow me up to the toilet, the shower, will sit for hours un-occupied and bored just so that he doesnt have to be in a room on his own. When we try and make him spend some time on his own there are usually tears and he will resort back to these worries about burglars and sometimes ghosts. It is getting increasingly frustrating and also I am convinced that at times he is simply saying these things just as an excuse to be following us round.

I am divorced so my son spends time at his dads house on a weekend and during the week. When he is at his dads he never voices these worries or issues, is happy to play outside on his own, in his bedroom and will go to sleep every night with no problems. This tells me that his worries go deeper than 'burglars and ghosts' as surely if this was the case he would be scared of them wherever he was.

He is also developing strange habits in other ways. He has a big obsession with the time at the moment, asking every few minutes what time it is, how long things take, how many hours/minutes/seconds there are in a day. It is becoming something that he fixates on and I am un-sure as to whether this is normal either.

My boyfriend moved into our home at the beginning of the year, something which my son was (and is) happy about. I am sure that many people will assume that these problems stem from this and yet I feel confident that this is not the case. The only problem we have in that area is that each time I give my boyfriend a hug or a kiss my son will have to jump in and have a hug or a kiss too. He is fixated on how many hugs or kisses my boyfriend has had per day and how many he, my son, has had per day. If I am busy, for example cooking the tea, and say that I cant drop everything to hug or kiss him, my son will cry and become very upset. This is my son who uptil a few months ago never used to cry and was always very 'grown up' in that respect.

I have tried to reason with him, explain things to him, comfort and reassure him and yet none of these things are working. It is absolutely exhausting with the constant need for attention and reassurance and is becoming a massive problem in our family. I am un-sure where to turn from here as no matter what I do he is not responding to our input.

I would appreciate any advice, similar experiences, etc. Thank you in advance!! xx

Hi, sorry to hear your having to go through this, it sounds very hard on you all.
From reading your post it sounds like your son is feeling quite insecure about something, him needing extra loving feelings from you and scared to be alone shows that.
My advice would be to get in touch with a parent support advisor, you sons school should be able to put you provide you the number.
They are there for reasons like this and will be able to provide you with the advice and support you need.
In the meantime i'd try to stay calm around him (as hard as that will be) to help reassure him everything is ok.

Good luck

He may be crying out for attention. If ur boyfriend has moved in then maybe he is feeling alittle insecure. Do u still have plenty of time for u and ur son to do activities together just the two of u? My OH's daughter does the thing with time, when he says u can wait half an hour for something she will ask how many minutes that is and throught the whole half an hour ask how many minutes are left and how many seconds that is. Lol she also follows him everywhere he goes and we only live in a flat. But she only sees him on weekends, so think she just wants to be with him all the time. It sounds like he just wants attention from his mum, maybe just try spending extra time doing activities, lots of cuddles and reassurance xx

It sounds to me there are OCD elements in his behaviour; might be nothing but may also be worth mentioning to a doctor and seeing if you get a referral.

Its strange that hes not doing it at his dad's... Maybe he's overheard something being said there or someone has said something to him, Have you asked his dad if hes maybe watched something on tv he shouldn't have ? I would get in touch with someone as you dont want it getting worse or lasting for years!

Would it help telling him you have an alarm on the windows and doors of a night so no one can get in?

i'm very unsure i've a 7 yr old so know how you feel when you dont know whats wrong.I would try sitting down and talking to him either by yourself or might be reassuring with his dad there too and ask if anythings bothering him and whatever is wrong you will make it better in anyway you can.give him extra hugs and kisses and reassure him,if all else fails maybe trip to docs.

That has to be frustrating hun, I'm sorry. My hubby and I dealt with similar with my SD when she was younger... but she grew out of it with baby steps... however, something must have triggered this for your son, as he didn't have this problem earlier on. I know you say he is happy with your boyfriend moving in, and I'm sure, this is the case. But maybe, just maybe, his unconscious mind is associating the situation in a way that is causing him anxiety??? I'm not saying your causing it, by any means. But kids can be super sensitive to big changes- even if they say they are OK, they may not understand it all. When I moved in with my hubby, his daughter would jump in the middle of us often-- and even emotionally push me away, although she was still very loving with me and didn't do it intentionally (or even understand why she did it)-- but she was used to having her Dad all to herself. It was just the two of them for years... and over time, she grew past this behavior, but it was a struggle for a bit.

Is there anything else you can think of that may have triggered this in your son? Did he feel alone or left out at some point? Even at his Dads? Or maybe just have a bad dream he hasn't let go of?? It's great you are talking to him, and he needs that open line of communication for sure... but it might be good to try baby steps to get him used to being in his own room again? The longer you wait, the more difficult it may be later on...

With my SD... we used to keep her door open and our door open at night so she felt like we were "closer" to her... then we would close the doors more, but leave it cracked... then eventually we would close it occasionally, then finally, after months we were able to close both doors fully... it was a rough road for a while, and it took a long time to get there... but we would gently push her and comfort her and do what we needed- but we never went back a step. Once we moved forward, those were her only options... she couldn't go back to doors fully open after we got where they were just cracked. If that makes sense?

I know how frustrating it must be... but it's fairly common for children that age to get some anxiety over things. They get things on a new level and sometimes it can scare them. It also might be good to talk to a professional-- I honestly do not know what we would have done with out the counselor for my SD. She was amazing! And not only did she help her, but us as well. Sometimes we would have family sessions to get advise.

We still struggle with her anxiety at times... steems from what happened with her mom at a very young age... but with help, open communication, gentle pushing and understanding, it's gotten so so much better! She used to complain of aches or pains worries on a NIGHTLY basis ... and would go on forever if you let her. But she's to the point now, it's rare, if ever... and she now has the tools to help self soothe.

I wish I had the answer for you... but all I have is some advise on what worked for us. Hopefully it's better soon hun :) Best of luck!!! I really do get how exhausting it can be at times... trust me. If you even just need to chat or vent, please feel free to send me a note :)

just wanted to add my 7yo is the same with the time hes obsessed with it think its normal..regarding the other behaviour hes deffo insecure about something my son was very clingy unusual for him and went back to his comfort teddy just before my lo was born and just after. i sat him down explained he wasnt going to be loved any less etc and once lo was here and he realised thing were pretty much the same as before he was fine.

hope you get to the bottom of it xx

My 6 year old son is doing many of the things your son is doing. I jumped online right now to research what to do in my situation because I am so beyond frustrated. My older son is very mature for his age and was playing one of my DHs games which has zombies on it. Now, my 6 year old is terrified of zombies now (i know...horrible:blush:) Anyway, these games have since been banned from my house for quite a while, and I have tried everything- and my son is still afraid to do things alone. No amount of reasoning and reassurance seems to work.
It can be the middle of the day and he will absolutely refuse to go downstairs for anything.
(he also is obsessed with time, but has been for a while, but I think this is more related to him learning the concept of time and trying to fully grasp how it works, etc).

Anyway- I wish I had some words of advice, but I am in the same boat as you!!! I'll be making an appointment with his pediatrician soon and will be asking him about it, I will let you know what he says!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->