• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Advice needed please -C section or not?

CertainTurton

Mummy to a toddler
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Sorry its long!

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice on what you think I should do.

A bit of background - I have various slight heath issues, 1) I have a history of Lupus but it is dormant at the moment, 2) I had a proplapsed disc in my lower back 3 years ago and still have nerve damage from that (causes pain but not all the time) and 3) I have something called a chiari, this is basically that a bit of my brain protudes down near my spine and means that when I strain or push (e.g. coughing hard or when constipated) I get a pounding headache and sliver tadoples and feel like im going to faint until I breathe deeply (but i havent yet fainted). The chiari doesnt really affect me any other way or cause any problems.
So basically I do have health issues but not major ones. The problem is that there has been discussions about how I will cope with the pushing stage of labour - as it is going to be 10x more pushing and forceful than a cough/constipation etc. Im worried I may pass out and not be able to do it.

I have now seen the obes twice who has spoken to my consultants and they have said that they want me to decide if I try for a natural (vaginal) labour or if I go for an elective C sec. the consultants have said that they dont want to say I 'have' to have one, but that I have to decide if the risks of a vaginal labour are worth it...

Im so stuck - I really cant decide what to do. In some ways a C sec seems the best option e.g safe for LO and calm, less worry for me and no problems with pressure and passing out. But obviously it is major surgery!

So I would really appreciate ANY advice or opinions you may have (even if you think I wont like it) :)

Thanks for reading!

Wow....that's a tough decision. It'd be easier if the doctors would tell or recommend what to do....lol.

I've pretty much done it all with deliveries---epidural, natural, and c-section---and survived. You know your body best, so trust your judgement :).

The placement of the spinal or epidural might come into play with your spinal issues. I would ask about that.....wish I had more words of wisdom!!

Best of luck to you :).

I too have an auto immune disease...it's like lupus..Scleroderma. I had a C-Section with my first and am planning to have one this time around too. The recovery for me wasn't too bad.

I think giving your medical issues I would think a C-Section is the best route. If you're like me I get tired very easily and the thought of pushing made me glad I ended up with a section.

As much as i didn't want even an epidural, let alone a c-sect, I had one. The first 3 days in the hospital were horrendous! Even the first day home, i felt like i could barely walk. every day later, i felt a bit of improvement, and i'd say by the 8th day after, i felt fine. Barely any pain at all, or least nothing even Tylenol couldn't help.

With your issues, well, if I had them, i'd opt for the c-sect.

Thank you for replying! and for giving your advice.

mtn - I know, I was hoping they would either say 'you have to have this..' or 'no way you can have a C..' but I guess it is good that there is choice these days. Makes it much harder though! I am seeing an anesanesthatist next week but I have had 2 cordal epidurals before for the back pain (they are more for specific nerves than a general block but should be the same sort of thing) so hopefully it wont be an issue - I really cant face the idea of a general!

Calliesmom- yes, i do get tired easily and i must admit it did worry me. its good to know you had a good recovery and that you would do it again!

I think deep down I know that a C sec is the best option and reading some of the other threads on here has really helped too. I have a really supportive DH who will help in the first few days and im not adverse to taking pain killers when necessary (as long as i can still bf).

So in that case it looks like i will be having my LO at 39+2 on 26/3! Very exciting!

Dilemma!
After having one of each birth I would never chose a c-section unless either mine or babies life is at risk.... For so many reasons!
The "pushing" stage can be overcome by simply not pushing.... I didn't push my daughter out, I breathed her down, resulting in a calmer, less tiring, no pain and no rips or stitches....
Google or YouTube "j breathing" used in hypnobirthing.....
:)

Hi Jimsgirl - thank you for responding. Its great you were able to use such a natural technique. However since I last posted Ive had a mw appointment and my cheeky LO has decided to stay transverse/oblique so its now pretty def it will be a c sec. I am trying to turn her though!

I have lupus antibodies (not lupus though) and my son ended up with a condition called heart block (diagnosed when I was 25 weeks pregnant).

I would go with the advice of your doctor. If it's feasible to do a natural birth, do it, but if it's going to be dangerous for your health, go with a c-section.

Awww... You have to do what you feel is right in your heart :) you don't need the added stress of trying to make tough decisions.... Go with your instincts....
All the best x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"