Advice needed please re SMP

KX

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I have just had my maternity leave confirmation htrough from my employer-The Council.

I am entitled to 14 weeks full pay, and 26 weeks SMP-am I being daft I thought SMP went up to 39 weeks after the 1st April 2007?

I might be wrong, but I was hoping to take a bit longer off this time round.

Oh and 26 weeks 2day, its flying in!:happydance:

I wish I could help ya, I really do, but at the moment I am going through simular shit to you. The goverment will palm you off with whatever they can! Maternity leave is partly paid by the goverment aswell as the employer (I think) so if they think they can get away with paying you less, believe me, they will.
In order to keep getting the money Im currently receiving, they want doctors notes from me one a month or else all my money will stop. Crazy if you ask me.

Hope you manage to work things out. x sorry I couldnt be more help to you.

Kina asfar as i'm aware you are entitled to year off but it isn't all paid, you get 39 weeks paid leave (9 months) and the remainder is unpaid so i think what you are going to get is right (well actually u getting paid for an extra week).

U are so lucky to get 14 weeks on full pay, i only got 6 weeks on 90% pay and then onto SMP, hence i've had to go back to work already.

Hi ladies,

I have just had my maternity leave confirmation htrough from my employer-The Council.

I am entitled to 14 weeks full pay, and 26 weeks SMP-am I being daft I thought SMP went up to 39 weeks after the 1st April 2007?

I might be wrong, but I was hoping to take a bit longer off this time round.

Oh and 26 weeks 2day, its flying in!:happydance:

Its proberbly just referring to the Ordinary Maternity leave you are entitled to, as anything over 26 weeks is classed as additional Maternity leave. It may also be that your company is paying you for a full 14 weeks - Most companies don't pay this.
For example I get my SMP pad as follows: - The first six weeks of SMP are paid at 90% of the employee's average weekly earnings. Then the lesser of £112.75 a week or 90% of her average weekly earnings for the remaining 33 weeks. So I get paid for a total of 39 weeks. Looks like your employer may be paying you like this, but your lucky enough to have the first 14 weeks at your full rate.

Some companies have certain stipulations that make you eligible for 39wks SMP.
Usually they ask that you have worked for them for a continuous period of at least 26 weeks ending with the qualifying week - that is, the 15th week before the expected week of childbirth and that your average weekly earning in the eight weeks up to and including the qualifying week have been at least equal to the lower earnings limit for National Insurance contributions (although they do not actually have to have paid any contributions).

I bet thats clear as mud lol!

Thanks ladies.

Rachie thats great info. I am going to phone HR as I have worked with the council for nearly 4.5 years and thought that the 39 weeks would be additional to the 14 weeks full pay.

its all confusing he he!

rachie ur due the day after em, just realised!lol!

no the 39 weeks includes the 14 weeks, i'm pretty certain.

Previously you had 26 weeks paid with a further 26 weeks unpaid (additional leave) if you have been with your employer for longer enough, the law changed, so that you now get 39 weeks paid, and a further 13 weeks unpaid (if you qualify)

Thanks ladies.

Rachie thats great info. I am going to phone HR as I have worked with the council for nearly 4.5 years and thought that the 39 weeks would be additional to the 14 weeks full pay.

its all confusing he he!

rachie ur due the day after em, just realised!lol!

As Caroline has said, I suspect your Company are paying like mine, they will pay you for a total of 40 Weeks (usually its 39) but you get full pay for the first 14 weeks instead of the standard rate of £112.75 per week and the remaining 26 weeks at £112.75 per week. - I know it doesn't seem like it, but you really are lucky to get that much maternity pay. Most Companies, including the one I work for only pay the first 6 weeks at 90% of your salary and the reamaining 33 weeks at £112.75.

But phoning HR is the best thing to do, because they will explain exactly how you will be paid.

Good luck!

Hi K

A colleague of mine recently queried her mat leave breakdown too - liek you our company pay us full pay for a period (18wks) then it's SMP for 21 wks. The SMP is paid by the government from the day your maternity leave starts and your employer will claim that amount back so for the 14wks full pay you will get they are actually paying you your monthly salary but are claiming back £112 x 4 a month back from the goverment in SMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->