Advice needed please!!

Sunrise

Reaction score
I'm needing some advice on my 3 week old DS please. For the first week or so he was EBF but it all became a bit too much for me and on my HV advice I switched to mixed feeding for a bit because I was worried about my sanity and wasn't coping very well with EBF. Then about 5 days a go I decided to switch to formula feeding and for two dAys I expresses whilst I was uncomfortable and fed LO with formula. However after two days of that I decided to give Bf another go. The past few dAys I have been feeding LO half formula and half BF. Last night I noticed my breasts feeling empty, they have not felt like this yet. I figured either my supply has dipped due to all the formula or my supply has just settled down.

Today I have only Bf DS to keep supply going but this evening he has wanted to feed non stop and my nipples feel like they are on fire. I figure either he's not getting enough milk from me or he's going through a growth spurt and is cluster feeding. He is fussy between feeds this evening but in the day he hasn't been. We've had lots of wet nappies but only one dirty nappy this morning. DH has just given him some formula now to give me a rest and he has taken around 2oz so not sure what to think.

Any idea as? Thank you from a very tired and stressed mummy!

Like you said it could be either growth spurt or a dip in your supply which is likely to be damaged at your supply doesnt settle until around 3-4 weeks but as you have switched between formula and bf your body is likely to be adjusting. To save your nipples and increase supply I would bf then get OH to top up with formula or expressed bm whilst you express to help build supply. That way baby is getting a full feed and your body gets the message that you need more milk. Make sure you drink plenty of water and eat lots too.

Around 3-4w mine really picked up his feeding, I think it's more likely to be a growth spurt.

Supply tends to start settling around 3-4weeks so you won't feel quite so engorged between feedings. I rarely get that overfull feeling now but can express 4-5oz from each side if I pump.

There is also a 3 week growth spurt which will make LO want to cluster feed, and will probably seem fussy for several days. If he still doesn't seem satisfied after a feed, allow him to cluster feed if you can. This will help increase your supply but it is hard work. Or top up with an oz or so of formula after a breastfeed.

Could be any of those things. My LO cluster fed from 6-9 every evening at that sort of age - growth spurt or not. Well done for getting back to breast feeding. i say do what you need to to keep going. also - nipple cream!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->