Advice on breech baby!!

LucyJ

Mummy to Benjamin xx
Reaction score
I am 34 weeks pregnant this is my first baby although my fourth pregnancy sadly I suffered 3 losses last year :cry: I have been monitered closely by the hospital as well as my midwife due to my mc's and having pernicious anaemia. My last scan which was at 32 weeks showed baby was growing well but is now in a breech position we have another scan at 36 weeks then if baby is still breech we will have a chocie to go for a c-section at 39 weeks (I think) or trying the manual manipulation (ECV).

This is my dilemma I am trying everything to move the baby naturally before our scan (walking, go swimming, raising my bum up on pillows, going on all fours and sticking my bum in the air and I am going to try accupuncture) any other suggestions would be gratefully recieved but if none of this works what do I do?

I really want to avoid a c-section and thought I would go for the ECV but I have heard negative things about it that some hospitals wont carry it out that it can be dangerous. My husband and I have been through a lot to get here and so wouldnt want to do anything to risk my baby.

Sorry for such a long post any advice would be great. Thank you.

Honey, you DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE TO SECTION OR ECV! Breech babies can be born naturally, you do not need intervention! You CAN do it, don't let them tell you that you can't! I can find you some links about natural breech birth if you like :kiss:

ETA: You also still have plenty of time for LO to turn - my MIL had a section for a breech baby, between the time they checked her and made the first incision, BIL had turned head-down. It can happen right up to the last second!

That would be great thank you the consultant at the hospital said it was not an option that they would recommend as its dangerous and my midwife said it wasnt good practice as theres a greater risk of something going wrong. That really scared me I dont want to risk my baby even if that means I have to have a c-section (which is like last resort for me) but Ive heard some hospitals dont do the ECV as it can be dangerous. Really hoping little one turns naturally Ive heard good things about the accupuncture so going to give that a go.

I had a breech baby and I was supposed to have an ECV at 38 weeks until I started reading up on them and then chickened out. I felt that the odds of success weren't good enough to put me and the baby through it. In the end I went for the c-section, it was a different consultant who did it and afterwards I explained to her that my normal consultant thought that DD was about 7lb when she was actually 9lb9 and thought it would be easy to turn her, the other consultant laughed and said there was no chance my DD would have turned as she was so big there wouldn't have been the space so I had made the right decision.

It really is up to you but I don't think that you should fear a c-section too much, I found it nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. I healed a lot more quickly than 3 of the 5 other women in the hospital at the same time as me and they had all had vaginal births. I was back mucking out horses after 3 weeks :)

https://www.aims.org.uk/Journal/Vol17No1/handsOff.htm

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/kathryn.htm

:kiss:

You don't have to have a c-section just because your baby is breech. (My first was an undiagnosed breech and he was born vaginally with no problems whatsoever) However, your baby still has plenty of time and room to move, so continue with exercises for optimal postitioning!

Hiya, I've just replied on your other thread in third tri xxx

Go for some acupuncture asap! You probably won't actually have any needles put in you as the usual treatment is to do moxibustion on both of your little toes, your practitioner should be able to provide you with moxa so that you can continue to treat yourself at home.

Also, as everyone else has said, your baby still has time to turn, and breech presentations aren't as scary as they are portrayed, but it is vital to have a care provider who is comfortable with them.

I hope all goes well for you!

You can deliver a breech baby vaginally. The problem arises when finding a practitioner, or MW that is experienced in doing so. A doctor/MW not knowing how to handle a breech birth is a problem, and can cause catastrophic outcomes. However, the risks of delivering a baby breech vaginally is just about exactly the same as the risks associated with delivering a breech by c-section. My 4th baby was breech, until about 39 weeks, I did spinning babies, and went to a chiropractor for the webster technique. She was just happy being breech. She turned on her own, and all was well. Hugs and GL!!! And congrats on the baby!

https://www.birthinternational.com/articles/midwifery/37-if-your-baby-is-breech

Really interesting article on breech.

As much as I would fight a c-section, I totally understand not wanting a breech vaginal birth. The problem is that it is no longer taught to doctors. So it leaves women very little choice in deliver.

I also wouldnt agree to a c-section before at least 40 weeks and would probably push to go into labor first. I posted some really good links on gentle c-sections that you can look at in the natural section with the planning my unplanned csection.

Good luck hun. Your LO can still turn. Keep trying!

You have plenty of time to turn. My second was breech and turned on his own by 35 weeks. I would wait until your next scan and go from there, try not to worry yourself unnecissarily. If you want to try something at home that will cost you nothing you can put ice on the top of your belly and a warm cloth at the bottom of your belly. The theory is that the baby will move away from the cold and toward the warmth. Try to relax, the stress isn't good for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->