Advice on cats please :)

Mummy_to_be87

Reaction score
I am staying at my mils house while she is on holiday and she has a cat, I am wondering if there is any advice on being around cats while pregnant that I should be aware of...this cat in particular loves to be cuddled and Im frightened Im not allowed to touch it...any help would be appreciated :flower:

Just be careful around their litter I think due to risk of toxoplasmosis.

Yeah, just don't clean out the litter box. That's it. You can go ahead and snuggle the kitty.

Wash ur hands thoroughly after scooping their liter. If it is an indoor cat it is unlikely it has toxoplasmosis as it is usually contracted by cats outside. Also it is only very harmful to baby during the first tri when everything is forming. I wouldnt worry too much. I have a big chubby kitty cat who is indoors only..I scooped his liter in first tri until it made me queasy lol so OH had to do it cuz it made me gag..but I've been back scooping it about a month and bubs is perfectly fine.

Everything is fine you an hug and touch the cat. You can also change litter just make sure you really wash your hands after if possible wear some gloves. I have a cat and so does my fiancé.

I should imagine in the UK its a normal cat that goes outside to the loo so business as usual. The only problem. Have with my cat is it wanting to constantly sleep on my belly!

The only thing I have heard like the other ladies have said is not to clean the litter box or really even be around it! You can still snuggle and love on kitty :)

Dont think my 3 would give me a choice of not touching them lol, currently got two curled up beside me purring away happy and content. Only thing to watch out for is when changing the litter tray. My 3 are indoor cats but still a good excuse to have hubby do it lol

Just don't scoop the litter. If you have to scoop litter use gloves and wash your hands well after. No worries if the cat stays indoors only. If its an outdoor cat wash your hands after you cuddle it.

Thanks ladies, the cat is an indoor cat and an outdoor cat if that makes sense, it doesnt have a litter tray and goes out in the evenings but so far it has stayed upstairs and makes these whining noises every time I go near it, and humps its back up and rubs against my legs oh and stares at me, Im actually quite frightened of it lol!! My DD loves to be rough with my mums dog and our own dog but they are used to it and Im afraid the cat is going to scratch her!! Im not against cats as I have been a lover of them since primary age, Im just cautious as I have my DD and baby bump to consider :hugs:

I don't really do anything different with my cat since being pregnant. I'd never scoop his litter tray and not wash my hands, I always wash my hands before I eat. My cat has changed towards me since being pregnant though. He never used to be cuddly or a lap cat, but now, every chance he gets he's lying across my bump/alongside it, got very protective off me, and doesn't leave my side. He even sits in the hand basin whilst I'm in the bath!! Try not to worry about your dd with her, generally, if a cat has had enough, they just walk away and find somewhere quiet out of reach. I don't think you need to be frightened if her, she can probably just sense the pregnancy x

Your doctor can test you for past exposure to toxoplasmosis. Many people have been exposed in childhood etc and are now immune. Because i work with animals my obgyn tested me and i am immune.... so now i don't have to think about it or worry! I'm not sure why more people aren't tested.

My hubby changes the litter box now, that's about it. Although he always did that.

I let my kitties lie on my tummy. I'm hoping that one of these days, my baby will kick one of them hard enough for them to feel it. lol :)

I have an indoor cat, and an outdoor cat. I got my Siamese kitten about 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant, I had changed his litter daily, handled him, and all that other stuff. But because I implement good infection control I had nothing to worry about. Use plastic gloves to change litter trays, and wash your hands well after doing so, and everything will be fine.

We have the cat genie now, which is a plumbed in electric self cleaning cat tray, so I don;t have to clean the tray out. It's a God send :)

Like someone else said, I didn't do anything different regarding my cat when I became pregnant. I always wash my hands after I clean her little box and also b/4 I eat whether pregnant or not. Something I thought was funny...my cat loves to lay across my tummy and the other night baby started kicking and my tummy was moving and cat was trying to "catch" where the baby was kicking...like how if you move your finger under a sheet or something the cat will pounce on it...that's what she was doing. It was funny. Love my cat!!

Enjoy some cuddles with it! Snuggling a dog or cat brings down your blood pressure and helps to encourage healthy digestion!

Enjoy the kitty snuggles, I've not done anything different with my two, they are 100% indoors though.

You're just fine :) Assuming they're not going to make you clean its litter box lol. Both of my cats lovelovelove to cuddle now that I'm pregnant :)

Something I thought was funny...my cat loves to lay across my tummy and the other night baby started kicking and my tummy was moving and cat was trying to "catch" where the baby was kicking...like how if you move your finger under a sheet or something the cat will pounce on it...that's what she was doing. It was funny. Love my cat!!

That is so sweet! Cats are wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->