Advice please? Pregnant in Australia (state: ACT)

eva1978

Reaction score
Hi, I just got my BFP yesterday at 17 dpo! We're happy but very worried that this pregnancy will end in a missed miscarriage like the one I had a few months ago.

With my last pregnancy (which I found out at 9+ weeks was non-viable), I didn't learn too much from my GP about the possibility of getting "extra" ultrasounds if say I'm worried that things aren't going well.

Does anyone know how that works here? (ACT, Australia)? I have medicare and in May my BUPA (private) insurance will kick in for pregnancy (I'm due in July). What if around 8-9 weeks I just NEED an ultrasound because I'm paranoid something is wrong? Can I do that, how, and what is the cost? What does it take to be considered "high risk", and does this buy you (for free) more prenatal care?

Also: is blood drawn at every doctor's visit? Do they just check hCG or also progesterone levels?

Thank you for any insight! :)

Hi there, i'm from NSW.

First of all congratulations on your pregnancy, relax and enjoy it!! :)

You could request (from your GP) for additional ultrasounds and explain why, but some GP's can be against it. You can also get a private scan, just google it and i'm sure there would be some places in the ACT that do it, only thing is these are not covered by medicare or private health insurance, it's just out of your pocket. I had one done with DS at 16w, I got an hour session, 4D, DVD to take home, photos, the works for $160! That was in Sydney, although I am not from there.

I was also considered 'high risk' for a few weeks after low iron levels and I passed out etc.. But yes, I had to go weekly until I was cleared and could just go back to the normal visits. I'm not sure if you're seeing an OB or a midwife? That will also effect if you pay or if you don't.

With DS, I just had the initial HCG test done and then a antenatal screening, then the 12 week blood test (if you opt for the NT scan) and then I had some more done at 20 weeks (I think) then I had a heap more - but only due to low iron, it wasn't a routine thing. But with this pregnancy, they did my HCG 4 times because it was a bit lower in the start, so it probably depends on your numbers, but again you could always ask for repetitive HCG's if you want it. I have never had my progesterone checked that I know of, so if I have i'm guessing it was normal.

I hope this is some kind of help to you!! :)
xxx

Thank you Flannz94! Yes, this is all very helpful!

I see my GP tomorrow and I wanted to wait at least until I'm 6+ weeks to get a scan... but maybe that is standard practice anyway. It would be good if my doc will send me for bloodwork already just to see if everything seems OK so far (I never had bloodwork last time until it was too late).

I think I'm allowed (on medicare) to see a combo of my GP, a midwife, and an OB. Then after 20 weeks I don't see my GP anymore but only visit the hospital, or something. My other kids were born in another country so it's all very new to me! :)

Thanks again for letting me know your experience, and congrats on your pregnancy!

Not a problem! I hope I could have been some help to you!
They should send you for an ultrasound, my GP sent me for the bloods and a 'dating scan' which was done at 7 weeks. Like I said, you can tell him/her your worries and hopefully they will do it for you!! :)

I'm not sure, it probably depends on the setup that the hospital have. With DS I saw my GP and got a referral for the midwives and I saw them and a OB as routine (every month) and my GP for any other problems. This time I'm just going with a private OB. But hopefully tomorrow at your appt your dr will be able to give you more info on what they do :) good luck to you!! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->