advice please, pretty please, just dont know

x-li-x

Me & Hubby + 3 :)
Reaction score
we recently taken noahs dummy, well about 2 weeks ago now, he loved it for comfort, but due to hour and more wakings at night, me exhausted n hubby about to go on tour we decided to try without the dummy as alot of the wakings were for it, the first day wasnt easy but the secind was much better and he did great after that, even started self settling now n then and woke much much less actually only twice between bed n wake up, however, the last 4 5 days he has been miserable, screams every nap n bed time, odd occasions hes happy will settle himself off but most the time he screams and it is such a battle to get him off then he doesnt sleep much, hes now started waking an extra time between his bedtime and first wake up and after that first wake up is up n down feeding ,n using me as a dummy all night he will come of though n settle himself to sleep but he feeds n sucks alot all night!! i cant work out if he needs his dummy back n isnt coping with the lack of it, especially as hes started stuffing his mussy in his mouth too try n suck or if its something else, (he does have a cold so maybe this) he does settle without it on odd occasions though that makes me think its a stage, teething, growth spurth, cold , n i should just get through it, (i always comfort him, never leave him to scream) or if i should just give up and re offer the dummy

any advice welcome, as im scared to give in if it isnt that but scared he needs it

if he gets so worked up, i offer him the boob, he will take a small feed from what i can hear then he tried to use me to suck himself to sleep. do you htink hes just a baby who needs to suck to sleep, or because he can settle without he is just going through something

he only had the cold two days also so not the whole 5 days

he is just over 6 months

i must say i always have the urge to just give him the dummy, but dont when i know he was doing well, i was putting him down, small winge n hed settle himself, he was waking 2 time from bed to wake unlike the every hour or more with dummy, only downside was his nap became much shorter n routine had slowly gone to pot,

i end up comfort feeding him to sleep most the time, n then when hes asleep go to put him down, he will usually wake an scream so i put him back to boob n same routine, sometimes he go down ok, sometimes hel wake n we start again.

thanks in advance

:flower:

I would keep trying to self settle and persevere until the cold has gone to rule it out. If you were waking up often with the dummy I cant see it being a good thing to reintroduce it. Maybe reassess in a week or so?

The natural urge to suck is supposedly over after 3 months. After that, they use pacifiers just out of habit & comfort. That being said, my 5 mo that d still uses one :) fortunately, she spits it put right before falling asleep & it doesn't wake her in the night when she wakes up now and then .

I agree so much with you missk, I keep saying the same thing to myself, but then whilst I'm sat there feeding him to sleep listening to my other two kids in the other room, run riot make mess and argue (daddy has just gone on tour so everything is up in the air ATM) I can't help but think give him the dummy you know it will get him to sleep and you can go deal with the other two, bit then I hold out for the very reason that it can go one of two ways, he will get better, and il be lucky and hel get better at night, especially when he can pick up the dummy n put it back in himself or he will just gt worse.

He just fell asleep in pram on school run , no dummy, got back 5 mins after he fell off to get home, took him out out him in co the woke, he played , cried then screamed all in 20 mins so I went in tried to calm him, no! So if ed him he went to sleep, took a few attempts to unlatch him as he kept relatching haha, put him in cot, walk out , he wakes, I left him and he winged 5 mins and settle himself back off, so I know he can do it, but it's not always that quick and easy.

I would have no problem him feeding for comfort , feeding too sleep, if I had the time to sit there, but it pains me to say it , I just don't, with a 5 year old n 3 year old who need me too. And a mammy who needs sleep because daddy has now gone for 8 months :-(
We do sleep b it doesn't really help me sleep as he's wanting to change boobs like every hour, n I constantly stay in a light unsettle sleep until he's asleep which obviously doesn't last long.

Aaas don't know what to do. I'm useless with all this, because I feel guilty no matter what I do haha.

I have nothing against dummy's, my dd had one until like 2 and a half, because she just wasn't ready to give it up, she really needed the comfort she was very dependant of it m mussys and mummy. My ds 1 had one until 9 months he was just ready to give it up. We took it and he was fine , the littlest of battles at nap time but lasted no time at all, he was very independent from day 1
Noah is very dependant much like my daughter but yet we noticed he can self settle hence the trying to see if it made nights better, wouldn't have even bothered trying if we didn't see he could, and no I've taken it , I don't want to give in knowing in the long run it's better to get rid now whilst he young, n he can do. But if he's not coping I'd rather help him n give it.

God I'm useless aren't i, so pathetic, without my husband I become a big worry n sucker for anything haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->