Advice Please Regarding Ferrous Sulphate

cheshiretracy

Reaction score
Hi Ladies , like most of us at this stage of pregnancy I have been prescribed Ferrous Sulphate as my iron level is low , after looking these up on theinternet it seems they are very harsh for pregnant women and cause cramping and a bad stomach and general feeling of being unwell...

What I did read is there is a liquid form of iron that you can buy from chemist called spatone or floridax which is supposidly milder with no side effects.

Has anyone taken this and found it to be much better???

Thanks

TRacy xx

I prefered the Spatone as the Ferrous sulphate gave me belly ache and black poo (tmi) It also works quicker as it absorbs into you faster xxxx

i havnt tried the spatone but im taking ferrous and ive had no problems, i think its diffrent for everyone hun xx

I take the ferrous when i can remember it ops.
It makes my poo go black which isnt pretty but apart from that i am ok on it!
x

I've been taking Spartone daily as I found Ferrous Fumerate liquid a bit harsh. I haven't found any ill effects from Saprtone but my Hb is only 10.4 after taking it from 20 weeks.

I take the ferrus tablets and apart from the black poo and the fact they bung me up slightly (which is handy for me as I seem to go too often!) it's not caused me any issues.

I've seen a lot of ladies recommend spatone though so it's worth a try.

I took ferrous sulphate between weeks 24 and 37 without any massively horrific effects - black, slightly odd smelling poo and sometimes a bit constipated, sometimes a bit the other (but have IBS so could have just been that). Switched to ferrous fumarate at 37 weeks as it's supposed to give higher levels of iron absorption and it's been fine too.

I found that with the pills u can be quite uncomfy but your body does adjust to them after a couple weeks. Well they did for me and i havnt had problems with them since x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->