Advice Please Regarding Ferrous Sulphate

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by cheshiretracy, Dec 21, 2009.

1. cheshiretracy

cheshiretracy Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies , like most of us at this stage of pregnancy I have been prescribed Ferrous Sulphate as my iron level is low , after looking these up on theinternet it seems they are very harsh for pregnant women and cause cramping and a bad stomach and general feeling of being unwell...

What I did read is there is a liquid form of iron that you can buy from chemist called spatone or floridax which is supposidly milder with no side effects.

Has anyone taken this and found it to be much better???

Thanks

TRacy xx

2. Eoz

Eoz Mummy of 5! Eeek!

I prefered the Spatone as the Ferrous sulphate gave me belly ache and black poo (tmi) It also works quicker as it absorbs into you faster xxxx

3. MissRhead

MissRhead Well-Known Member

i havnt tried the spatone but im taking ferrous and ive had no problems, i think its diffrent for everyone hun xx

4. MrsQ

MrsQ Mummy to Mikey and bump

I take the ferrous when i can remember it ops.
    It makes my poo go black which isnt pretty but apart from that i am ok on it!
    x

5. Celesse

Celesse Well-Known Member

I've been taking Spartone daily as I found Ferrous Fumerate liquid a bit harsh. I haven't found any ill effects from Saprtone but my Hb is only 10.4 after taking it from 20 weeks.

6. Boomerslady

Boomerslady Well-Known Member

I take the ferrus tablets and apart from the black poo and the fact they bung me up slightly (which is handy for me as I seem to go too often!) it's not caused me any issues.

I've seen a lot of ladies recommend spatone though so it's worth a try.

7. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

I took ferrous sulphate between weeks 24 and 37 without any massively horrific effects - black, slightly odd smelling poo and sometimes a bit constipated, sometimes a bit the other (but have IBS so could have just been that). Switched to ferrous fumarate at 37 weeks as it's supposed to give higher levels of iron absorption and it's been fine too.

8. MiissMuffet

MiissMuffet Well-Known Member

I found that with the pills u can be quite uncomfy but your body does adjust to them after a couple weeks. Well they did for me and i havnt had problems with them since x