Advice please

squizzlew

Reaction score
Baby has a tongue tie which is affecting his ability to breast feed. I have been referred to have it cut but was advised in the mean time to just keep feeding and using nipple shields which I did. He was weighed at give days and had lost 9.5 percent of birth weight and he was weighed again today 2 days later and has now dropped 11 percent of birth weight. Midwife wanted me to breast feed then to top up with formula I refused yo give formula as I have more than enough milk it's pouring out of me he just can't get it. We agreed that I would continue feeding on demand but I would express after every feed and top him up after each feed with expressed milk. If this doesn't work I have yo use formula. I feel that I have been bullied into this and as a result of him getting the bottles he will not latch any more his latch was perfect and he was feeding fine just not able to get enough. Has anyone else has this problem and managed to get baby to return to the breast after bottles as if I can't I might as well move onto formula.

My LO had a tongue tie which wad snipped when he was a week old. I had been breast feeding prior to the tongue tie being snipped and apart from bleeding nipples, he was feeding well and putting on weight incredibly fast. Anyway i expressed to help increase supply as i was worried i wasn't producing enough. I mainly breast feed but LO has no problem going between breast and bottle. I have supplemented with a little formula from time to time too and he takes everything going from breast or bottle.

I introduced the bottle with my DD early too and there was never any confusion. In fact in long run it was good as we moved over to full time bottle feeding at 3 months and she transitioned well bcos she was used to both.

If my DS gets lazy with latching on breast, i just take the time to reposition him and his latch is fine. My DS prefers the breast for comfort but likes the speed of a feed from a bottle. He likes to go on the breast after a bottle feed and this soothes him to sleep. U may find your LO will b the same but if u r not happy, mayb push for tongue tie to b snipped sooner. Its such a simple procedure that there is no reason it couldn't b done sooner. My MW phoned and arranged our appointment for same day but she was very pro breast feeding so got things moving quicker. GL i hope it all works out x

You can push for an emergency snip ... Especially when LO is losing weight.

I know someone who rang up everyday asking for an appointment & got seen a lot quicker. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->