advice regarding bedtime milk for nearly 1yo

pcsoph2890

Reaction score
My daughter will be one on the 5th Feb.

She naturally has weaned herself off milk during the day. She is fully blw and loves her food. (She ways has a silly cup of water that she helps herself to throughout the day whenever she needs a drink.)

Her bedtime routine is:
5pm dinner time
530-545pm bath time
6pm - now this is when I usually give her 7floz of formula milk in a baby bottle which she seems to enjoy.

I want to by her 1st birthday to put all the baby bottles in the loft (hopefully in preparation for number two if I can't b/f like this time).

Do people give their little ones milk before bedtime, or during their last meal???

She is in bed anytime between 615-630pm and is a very good sleeper and back to sttn now we has mastered walking and her top two teeth have finally popped through...

Any advice as I want to stop formula too and get her onto whole milk (obviously when she is one)

Ta xxxx

My little boy turned one last week, he has his tea about 4.30pm then a bottle of formula about 7.30pm then bed. We still have formula left but once it's finished i will give him a bottle of cows milk before bed if he wants it. My intention is to give him a cup of milk before bed when he's bigger.

When my lo turned one and I started her on cows milk, I always gave it in a sippy and never in a bottle (advice of pediatrician). Also, I gave it cold. I had a few nights of whiny "bobal" (what she called her bottles) but I gave her a sippy instead and she forgot about bottles. I did/do give her milk with her meal, but I also give her milk before I get her ready for bed. It's just recently (she's 20 months) that she doesn't still always ask for milk before bed.

If she is still happy to have milk at bedtime, I wouldn't stop it. My daughter will be 2 in a few weeks and still has a cup of milk before bed. Many toddlers do until they're probably 3 or 4. If she stops showing interest because she's full up from dinner, then no need to force it. But if she's happy to have it, just keep going. As for switching to cups, you can certainly start to make the move, but also don't stress yourself about it happening at the 1 year mark. We tried with a straw cup around 11 months and my daughter sobbed hysterically and completely refused to have any of it (though she drank water from a sippy cup and then a doidy cup just fine). We tried again at 13 months and she loved it. From then, we changed her daytime milk to a straw cup and still did her bedtime milk in a bottle. At 14 months, we switched the bedtime milk to a cup and it was completely fine. It wouldn't have worked probably if we'd tried to force it at 12 months, but when she was ready, it was totally fine. I'm a big fan of the Momma straw cups. They're great.

As for cow's milk, we started to give her some feeds with cow's milk from 11 months. I switched completely on her birthday. It was fine and she loves cow's milk. She never used to drink that much formula because it tastes horrible, but she really enjoys her milk now.

Alani started having cows milk a couple days before her birthday because that's when I run out of formula and I wasn't going to buy another one to get wasted.
She only has milk at bedtime now and will do for as long as she wants it. Obviously when she's a couple years older, I'll give it to her 30 minutes before bed.
My health visiter said to drop milk at bedtime but it's not her choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->