Advice wanted from an ex-breastfeeder please!

2ndtimeluckyX

Reaction score
Hi all

it's been 2 days now since I last breastfed my baby and I'm in absolute agony my boobs are so full!!!

When does the milk 'dry up' and the pain stop??

With me it got better after 4-5 days of quite painful, heavy boobs. Just dont be tempted to express any milk as this will send your body signals to produce more!

Oh god I can't imagine another 3 days, I am sooooo tempted to reach for the pump! Lol but I won't :(

You actually shouldn't stop cold turkey. Express enough to make you comfortable, or you risk blocked ducts and mastitis. Not fun, especially if you're not even BFing anymore! Don't empty your breasts completely, as that will signal your body to make more milk. Just relieve any discomfort. Cabbage leaves may also help.

I haven't BF since Wednesday and this morning I was so engorged I couldn't even pick up my baby as my arms touching my sides hurt so much :(

I went to the doctor and have been given a prescription of tablets to take to help dry up the milk within 3 days. I am due to collect the meds at 4pm and can't wait to take them and stop this pain!!

I was also told to pump a little to relieve the engorgement as it can cause a lot of problems if you don't.

I was in agony for the first 24 hours and had to get up to express some at 6am as it was that painful I couldn't sleep! After that though I didn't pump any again and it got better within a day or two. I could still squeeze some milk out for a couple of weeks afterwards though.

I found a warm bath was amazing as it takes away the paina nd the boobies leak without any stimulation :)

i started dropping feeds over a period of about a month and when i was down to only one feed a day, then i stopped and my boobs were killing me for about 7-10days after ouch!!
try a bath like has been said above or put hot towels on them and let them leak a small bit, don't pump as it will make it worse but if you stopped cold turkey then i would pump once a day just to help yourself out then after a week stop
be careful not to get masititis x

When I stopped I pumped.... I pumped small amounts with large spaces in between. Went from 4x a day, to 2x a day, now down to once a day pumping. My boobs never had to hurt like that! (Granted I am pumping once a day, have yet to stop completely) My MIL (the lactation consultant) approved... It's been about 1.5 weeks since I started spacing my pumps

i started dropping feeds over a period of about a month and when i was down to only one feed a day, then i stopped and my boobs were killing me for about 7-10days after ouch!!
try a bath like has been said above or put hot towels on them and let them leak a small bit, don't pump as it will make it worse but if you stopped cold turkey then i would pump once a day just to help yourself out then after a week stop
be careful not to get masititis x

I did the same so they weren't producing as much mine took about 7 days to stop hurting I used the wheat comforters that you microwave and massaged them. I did take nurofen in the end too first time is taken meds since falling pregnant but it helped.
Good luck :)

we had dropped down to two feeds a day when i stopped(2 weeks ago) they were havey and painful for about 4 days. They are still quite heavy now but no pain , my milks still there but Im sure it will go soon i can feel my breasts getting lighter x

You actually shouldn't stop cold turkey. Express enough to make you comfortable, or you risk blocked ducts and mastitis. Not fun, especially if you're not even BFing anymore! Don't empty your breasts completely, as that will signal your body to make more milk. Just relieve any discomfort. Cabbage leaves may also help.

Exactly what patch said, you're in so much pain because you shouldn't go cold turkey. I did go cold turkey because I didn't know any better and omg.......... agony.

I started reducing breast feeds and adding formula feeds slowly,my body was producing less and less milk and when i completely stopped i never had any problems.

Maybe you could try expressing and giving her your milk say 4 times a day? then in a week or so express times a day ..then week after 2 times a day ..? she would get BM and you would it do it gradually without causing lots of problems for yourself x

i can still get milk out of my boobs and i stopped b/feeding at 10days. only a little bit and they dont leak but i thort it was weird that i could still do that.

express little tiny bits to relieve tenderness but dont be tempted to overdo it. it will soon go away. about 4-5days i was.

When I stopped BF, I pumped for a few days just enough to relieve discomfort and then hand expressed in the shower, again just enough to relieve discomfort. I didn't make very muh milk at all and it still took me a couple of weeks of expressing to get to the point that I didn't get painfully engorged. And I leaked for a few more weaks after that. Now, 12 weeks after stopping, I still have an occasional drop or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->