Advise needed. Dog allergy/visitation

loveylove

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I have also posted this in 'single parents', I hope it's ok for me to post here as well.

I'm hoping you can help me. I haven't posted on here since I was pregnant and being treated pretty badly by my ex... Long story short, we broke up when my daughter (now 3 years old) was 10 days old. He has always claimed to want me back, even to this day.

Anyway, after years of having supervised visitation (by me), I have gone back to work. James (her dad) has insisted on having her every other Saturday, this is fair enough. The only reason he didn't have her before was because he had a mental breakdown, suffered from depression and had an unhealthy obsession with us getting back together. The police and women's aid eventually got involved.

My problem began when she started Going to his house for the days on Saturday. My daughter would come home and start vomiting by 8pm, she would be sick for hours until she was eventually just gagging up bile. This happened 3 times over 6 weeks, all following a visit to his house.

I should probably tell you that my daughter has allergies- she is allergic to fish, nuts, egg and dairy. She also gets quite bad hay fever.

Anyway, last weekend, following a visit to his house, she was so ill that I couldn't even wake her up properly. Her temperature was 40.6, she was vomiting and limp. I called an ambulance and they took her straight in. Whilst there it was discovered hat she has an allergy to his dog! There's a bug called campylobacter that is transferred via dogs skin flakes and makes children (under 5 mostly) very poorly.

When I told James he hung up on me. He has decided not to give up the dog because it makes him happy, but agrees that she absolutely cannot be in his house, even if the dog wasn't there at the time.

So for the past few weeks I have allowed him in my house (despite the fact he's really rude to me)so that he can spend time with her. I have taken my work laptop and gone into the town to an Internet cafe. I don't like this situation at all! I have boyfriend who stays at my house most nights, I don think it's healthy to have my ex in my home... I know he must go through my stuff. It makes me very uncomfortable. He claims he can't take her out in public because it's expensive, won't take up enough time and plus his car is loaded with dog hairs. I should probably add that her dad works from home for a family business, he claims to not have any money. He lost his managerial job when he became depressed.

I feel like telling him that if he puts the dog before his daughter then he can no longer see her. What would you all do? My daughter likes seeing him but she isn't upset if a few weeks pass where he isn't free to see her. Also, the only local family he has all have dogs (his dad actually lives on a farm) so it's not like visitation can even happen that way.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

If you dont want him in your house then get him to take her somewhere else. He could get a bus to town and take her to the library (free) and maybe swimming or soft play which usually cost less than £5. It doesnt have to cost him a lot.

Oh hun- that had to be so scary. I can't imagine someone not putting their child first- but obviously it happens (more than it ever should). If she's that allergic to the dog and can't even be in the car with him, is it still ok that he even visit her at your house? I mean, would his presence eventually leave behind enough dander or dog hair to cause her an issue in her own home? Sorry if that's a dumb question- but maybe good reason to ask him to find a public place.

Personally, I would not be ok having him in my home- not given the situation and how he treats you. He can use money as an excuse- but there are plenty places to go for free. Even indoors when the weather isn't nice. I mean, could you offer to meet him somewhere public- and drop her off? If that's something you'd be Ok with to avoid her being in his car.

IDK- sorry I have no great advise... hopefully you can find a good middle ground. Best of luck! :hugs:

And of course it's OK you post here! :hugs:

Thanks seoj. I have offered to drive her somewhere to meet him for a few hours and then drive back and collect her but this obviously shortens his visit so he wants her in the week at my house too, it just seems that nothing is good enough. He came over today and watched her in my house but then he still complained that his dog had been left far too long at home. I have concerns about him carrying dog dander into my home so he has left jeans and a jumper here, he changes as soon as he gets here. It sounds like I'm being petty but I just can't handle my daughter being ill anymore, it's making me a nervous wreck.

I think I'm going to have to tell him he can only see her over the weekends when I'm free to drive her places.. I'm sure when she's older she'll understand why it had to be like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->