Advise please

andypandy2

Reaction score
Hi ladies.

I recently posted in regards my son saying very little at 30 months and I received such great advice that I hope you don't mind if ask another couple of questions?

The first question is that upon the advice of the Health Visitor I haven't been prompting my son half as much to have a go at saying words or to imitate the words that I say...(I have basically been MODELLING language whilst doing lots of playing and daily activities etc)... however this means my son has hardly spoken of late and hasn't even particularly been using the words/sounds he does have...is this a worry?
(I will of course tell the Speech and Language lady at his assessment in a couple of weeks, just wanted thoughts.)

And my second question...does anybody have TERRIBLE trouble when there 2 and a half year old has to walk?
Joe WILL NOT hold hands! If I hold his hand he just yanks and yanks until I let go. If I don't let go he just sits on the floor screaming! The odd time I have let go of his hand and hoped he would walk along side me/us he just runs and has no sense of danger!
I've tried reins (conventional and fun backpack reins) however when Joe sensed any pull on them he would again sit down on the floor for minutes at a time or even crawl!!! :wacko:
(Thoughts so welcome!)

Hello, I think if you've changed the way you use language with your son under professional advice then it's to be expected that he has to change the way he reacts and that might take a while.

There's some good advice on these websites: www.talkingpoint.org.uk/
www.ican.org.uk/

As for the holding hands, my son is also bad at this, but I learnt a technique when working with autistic children which works well with all children but takes some serious persistence! I'm not always able to be as patient with Micah as I was at work!!
Basically you hold hands/reins and if they drop to the floor then you just crouch down next to them and wait, you don't pull them or pick them up but just calmly state where you're going and wait. Like I said its MUCH easier in a school setting than when you have to get the shopping done etc but when I have used it with Micah I have eventually had success.!

Thank you! I actually feel better now because that's what I did. Just stood and waited (as it was a saunter to the local shop and we were in no rush.)
I'll certainly persevere with that technique then :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->