AF weeks late, some brown spotting, 5 pos opks, 1 possible pos hpt

kbo

Reaction score
Hello everyone :) I'm having some issues and looking for any help or advice that you can give. I know it's quite a long read so thank you to those who take the time!

I'm 22, healthy and physically active. I used to have irregular periods, but they've become much more regular as I've gotten older. I stopped taking BC in Jan 2013 after being on it for almost a year because I didn't have a period for the last 3 months. Since then my long-term bf & I don't use any other protection and we BD quite frequently. Side-note: Been on BC before and didn't experience this kind of stuff when I stopped taking it.

I had an unexpectedly 100% normal period on 2/14 & another on 3/22 (my cycles are slightly longer when off BC) and expected my next on/around 4/26. On 4/28 I had this mucus-like glob of milky white discharge with a streak of brown in it, and I figured that my period would start but it never did. Previously I thought that it may have been implantation bleeding or just a plain skipped period because I had no other spotting for weeks after that. I did have normal white discharge during that time that was sometimes a bit leaky, but nothing brown or red. Now I'm beginning to believe that I may have ovulated around 4/26-4/28 which was way later than I thought, and I already figured that I had ovulated late. I don't temp or use opks super regularly so I kinda just hope my cycle goes as planned & jump along for the ride lol.

I waited for my period to show but finally out of sheer curiosity & frustration I took an opk on 5/20, which was probably my first mistake. As I recall, the last time I took one I got a faint line. It was there, but the entire line was a faint pink. This time, however, I got what appeared to be an almost positive. The left side of the test line was dark. I've taken 5 total (one every day since the first) and they've all looked the same. I didn't use fmu & they were all taken in the later part of the day. I attached a picture of one of the opks and they all look like that.

I also began having some very scant brown spotting on 5/20 which was only there when I wiped. I thought for sure it would be the start of my period, but it hasn't gone away or gotten heavier. The only distinct variation was late yesterday evening (5/24), just after I got off work, when I had a bunch of this mix of what appeared to be clear mucus-like discharge with some small specks of brown blood mixed with light brown milky discharge when I wiped. It wasn't that heavy up until that one time and so far is back to being really light & only when I wipe.

I don't really know what to make of it. I had taken hpts until a week before I took that opk on 5/20 to rule out pregnancy and they were all negative. Then I took another frer on 5/23 & 5/24 and I can swear I see a faint line for sure in the one from 5/24. I know they say never to look at an old test but I looked at the one from 5/24 and there's definitely a line now which confirms that I at least saw something, evap or not. Since the line is showing up a lot clearer now it seems to be light pink but I'm not going to rely on that 100%. Attached a photo of the test right after I opened it up but the line is tough to see, tweaking it helps some.

I've been having irritability/mood swings, backaches, headaches, fatigue, mild nausea (especially in the morning when I wake up), cold symptoms, and random cramping for several weeks now. My mood swings have been getting worse in the last week and I'm on my feet all day so it feels like backaches, cramping & fatigue are coming on more often. Also I don't really have an appetite but then I'll be incredibly hungry for something that I don't have on hand lol. Normally I don't eat a whole lot but I definitely get my 3 meals. But honestly when it comes to symptoms, I know how powerful the brain can be so who knows.

Do you all think I'm just having a wonky/annovulatory cycle? I kind of doubt that I could be pregnant even though I'm sure I saw the line within 3 minutes so definitely within the 10 minute time limit. I feel like it was probably just a gray ghost line showing up since it was so hard to decipher the color at the time.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read. If my next period doesn't show up in the next 7-10 days I'm going to the GYN. Just looking for any advice or help that is offered to give me a better understanding of what might be going on in the meantime because I'm genuinely confused. I appreciate it in advance! <3

*Edit: Added a more zoomed in photo of hpt
*Edit 2: Added a picture I took today of two opks and the hpt from yesterday. Opks have faded a bit and hpt is faint (although clearer now) but gives you a little more to go on.

Attachments

• 5.24-2.jpg
    5.24-2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 5.23.jpg
    5.23.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 5243.jpg
    5243.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 27
  • progression-cropped.jpg
    progression-cropped.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 24
So sorry your having a hard time! I had a very similar thing happen to me the start of the year and it cost me tones in pregnancy and ovulation tests lol

Have you taken another test since the 24th?
You may only just be ovulating now or it's just a weird period like what I had at the start of the year because of not ovulating.

You very well could be pregnant but with having an annovulatory cycle your hormones are out of balance and can cause alot of pregnancy symptoms.
I hope you get an answer soon the unknown is so frustrating!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my essay! :D I'm going to attach a more full progression of opks (missing 2 tests though) and the hpt with the faint line. I'm also going to post my tweaked version for fun.

I think you're right and it's just a weird cycle. The two normal periods after getting off BC were too good to be true. Part of me can't help but root for being pregnant, the other part is not getting my hopes up at all. I just don't know what to think. I really feel like I ovulated around 4/26 but there's no way to tell for sure. At this point it seems like this could be anything.

I thought I ran out of opks but I found one more floating around and used it around 9pm on 5/25. It's the very last opk in these photos. It's the darkest I've gotten but also the others are all days old by now. Maybe I ended up ovulating today. I really am out of both kinds of tests now and waiting for more to arrive so we'll see what happens. I'll keep this post updated though for those like me who scour the internet looking for similar situations that were resolved.

Attachments

• all progression.jpg
    all progression.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 7
  • all progression tweaked.jpg
    all progression tweaked.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 6
I agree I think the last opk was definitely positive and that's when you ovulated. I have had tones of evaps or what I thought were lines but I always think if we were so obsessed lol and that we are then we would never even see these lines. Someone who doesn't look twice at a test would never even see the lines they would just look at the test see there was no positive and throw it away but we analyse way to much sometimes and even though it is near impossible to do because we want it so bad we are actually making It worse for ourselves lol its a vicious cycle!

If you go by all your opks I would say you are now 2dpo well depending on where you live its the afternoon on 28th here. I would just take care of yourself as if you are pregnant just in case and try to relax so that it gives the best position chance of a sticky bean if you did ovulate.

Our bodies are such complicated and complex things i just wish for people like us it would be text book sometimes!

My next batch of tests just now shipped so I'll go with your suggestion and just assume I'm 3 dpo until I can test again. I hate all this confusion! I'm so frustrated because even though I may have ovulated I'm still having symptoms. I don't understand why I've been cramping for 2 weeks, why I'm so tired all the time or why I'm so over-emotional.

I do have one quick question for you, if you happen to know the answer. I know it's normal to have spotting around ovulation but why would I spot for 4-5 days before I O'd? Just curious because this is the first time I've ever had spotting like this before.

Thank you for your kind words and support :) I'm going to try my best to stop stressing and just let things happen

When I had bad cycles like this I had all kinds of symptoms because the hormones are so out of wack which is the same as what causes it when you are pregnant your rise in hormones cause the symptoms so a wacky cycle will do the same.
As for the spotting I had the same thing on one of my cycles I had 4 days of brown discharge only when I wiped it was a really long cycle and I thought it was ib which turned out to be ovulation. In saying that though. Usually as a rule you count 3-5 days after the last day of spotting because you will receive a positive if it is ib.
With my last pregnancy I had ib on the Thursday and I got a very light positive on the Sunday morning if I didn't take a digital I wouldn't have thought I was pregnant the line test was that light. For some reason here digitals pic up really early!

It is definitely a very frustrating time and the only think I can say is you are not alone. One thing that helped my cycles was b complex so maybe give that a go. It helps with your luteal phase and that was my biggest problem in my cycles.

Hello again! Just wanted to update that I'm fairly certain I ovulated on that pos opk and am now in the tww, which is quite a relief :) At least I've got some idea of where I'm at now and I can start testing in the next few days. Thanks again and congrats on your growing bean!

I'm glad that you have some clue on what's goin on in your cycle now! Wouldn't it be great if you got your bfp on such a wacky cycle!!! That's what happened to me this pregnancy it was a lovely surprise! Hopefully the same happens for you.

I would love it if I got a bfp! I've started testing but getting very questionable lines. It's still early though so I'm not giving up hope. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed, thank you! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->