After 8 months, finally weaned from nipple shield!

Calif

Baby was born 6/2013!
Reaction score
Today after feeding for a few minutes, I took off the nipple shield like I do every once in a while, but instead of fussing, latching onto the tippy tip, or blowing raspberries on my breast, he latched and fed for 8 minutes! I fed him a few more times today and he latched every time! I have been waiting for this day for a long time.

I remember a lot of ladies talking about how nursing is a lot faster without the shield and mine went from 20 to 7 minutes each side which makes me worried despite all that I read.

I am so happy!

If you're still on the nipple shield, don't despair! Stay patient and baby will wean! Mine gained weight well and my supply was fine with the shield but it was such a hassle and feeding took a long time.

Thanks for this post! Ive just asked a question about this as my LO is 6 days old and ive been using a shield since day 3. I tried a couple of feeds yesterday without and my left nipple was fine but ny right still hurts. Feeds take anything up to an hour and im really hoping that gets quicker without the shield. Im worried about dirchibg it though as my lo struggles to open her mouth wide enough being so tiny. Her mouth also slips and begins to pinch. At what point could your lo latch properly themselves?

Great result, well done both of you! I'm in week 6 of the shield and am looking forward to this day too

At around 5 months, maybe earlier, I knew he could properly latch because a couple of times when he was sleepy I took off the shield and he fed fine. But he always "forgot" how to the next time. I never pushed it because I didn't want him to get so frustrated that he refuse nursing for the bottle (we have daycare everyday so it's essential he takes both breast and bottle). think finally he figured it out somehow.

However, now he's feeding only like 5 minutes and I know my breast isn't empty. I think also he needs to relearn how to comfort feed on my bare nipple. Now he just drinks his fill and unlatches, no comfort feeding. :(

Ive been reducing the amount im using the shield over the past day or 2 and so far its going ok. I needed it in the night last night for 1 feed as I was nursing lying down and she tends to slip a bit in that position. So far she seems fine with or without so im hoping to introduce the odd bottle of expressed milk around 6 weeks.

So pleased your LO seems to be latching now, I bet it feels like a long road but my support worker said to me the other day to just remember nothing lasts forever and one day before I know it ill be looking back and missing having LO at my breast so to try to make the most of these early days (if possible through the tired fogginess!!)

That is great! Well done for sticking at it throughout the difficulties :)

That is so awesome! Mine was 10 or 11 weeks before we got off them.

It REALLY cut down on nursing time, so don't worry too much!

Are there any particular shields that are better than others? I am very new to the shield, as of last week it's the only way dd will feed at the breast. I'm desperate to make this work but the stupid Mam shields keep falling off, dd gets frustrated and then I have to end up bottle feeding her and pumping which takes up more time than I have!!

Are there any particular shields that are better than others? I am very new to the shield, as of last week it's the only way dd will feed at the breast. I'm desperate to make this work but the stupid Mam shields keep falling off, dd gets frustrated and then I have to end up bottle feeding her and pumping which takes up more time than I have!!

I have the Medela contact shields (contact just means they have a cut out section so babies nose in next to the breast). My breastfeeding support worker and MW said they are the best ones and ive had no problems with them coming off.

Thats fantastic,good on you for persevering!

I have the Medela contact shields (contact just means they have a cut out section so babies nose in next to the breast). My breastfeeding support worker and MW said they are the best ones and ive had no problems with them coming off.

Same ones I used, I had very little problems with them coming off.

I also used the medela contact shields

After not using the nipple shield for 2 days, I'm having trouble pumping enough for the morning pump. I usually pump twice at work, 6oz each time. Now the 2nd (afternoon pump) I still get 6oz but morning I got 3oz. Does that mean he's emptying my breast more in the morning? I have enough frozen stash right now but don't want to deplete it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->