After an interview

Becky61

Mummy & TTC #2
Reaction score
I had an interview at my local co-op store last wednesday (its now monday). I felt it went ok, but she showed me a massive pile of maybe 50+ application forms, & told me she had lots of interviews scheduled. She said she would call in a few days, but ive heard nothing.

Im just letting myself assume i was unsuccessful :( Its really left me deflated. I dont think im jumping the gun am i? Surely if i was successful i would of heard by now? I dont want to ring her & chase. Gutted.

If it was that many applications, it may have taken her that long to get through all the interviews. Did you do any follow up thank you's for the interview, like sending a thank you card for the interview, and expressing your interest in working for the company? That would be a good idea, to help you stand out from others who may not put that extra touch to be remembered.

I would follow up with a thank you just to keep you fresh in their minds. :flow:

I'd give her a ring. Even if you haven't got it, it looks good on you being proactive. She might still be doing interviews and the fact you ring means she'll remember you more iykwim.

I would as well and sometimes there are hold ups such as sickness etc that could stop her making calls Etc

That's quite bizarre, surely the logical thing is to have a thorough read of the applications and keep interviews to a minimum? I would always expect notification from an interview (frankly I think even if you've made the time to write an application they should send off a "thanks, but no thanks" email but I understand that's time and money), I haven't been unsuccessful at interview stage before but if I had I would be contacting them asking for feedback. From what you say they don't sound terribly organised so it could just be they are interviewing a lot of people over a space of time.

That's quite bizarre, surely the logical thing is to have a thorough read of the applications and keep interviews to a minimum? I would always expect notification from an interview (frankly I think even if you've made the time to write an application they should send off a "thanks, but no thanks" email but I understand that's time and money), I haven't been unsuccessful at interview stage before but if I had I would be contacting them asking for feedback. From what you say they don't sound terribly organised so it could just be they are interviewing a lot of people over a space of time.

I'd agree its rude not to give a call to those who have been interviewed, but unfortunately its not than unusual if they interviewed a lot of people, as sometimes they are too busy to contact them all again if they didn't even get the job. Doesn't make it the best approach, but in all honestly, sometimes that is the reasoning for not getting a regret call.

I was a manager at a hotel while I was in college, and often interviewed a lot of people at once, because honestly, it was really hard to tell sometimes just from the applications whether a person would be a good fit, and you could get a better feel for them with an in person interview. I didn't call people back who didn't get the job, but would of course tell them the position had been filled if they called to inquire as to job status, and would thank them for interviewing. I just didn't have the time to call them all back. Yes, it was rude, in hindsight, having now been on the other end of interviews now and hating that wait to find out one way or the other. Time constraints for managers is likely why they often don't call everyone back, having been in that position.

I'd agree its rude not to give a call to those who have been interviewed, but unfortunately its not than unusual if they interviewed a lot of people, as sometimes they are too busy to contact them all again if they didn't even get the job. Doesn't make it the best approach, but in all honestly, sometimes that is the reasoning for not getting a regret call.

I was a manager at a hotel while I was in college, and often interviewed a lot of people at once, because honestly, it was really hard to tell sometimes just from the applications whether a person would be a good fit, and you could get a better feel for them with an in person interview. I didn't call people back who didn't get the job, but would of course tell them the position had been filled if they called to inquire as to job status, and would thank them for interviewing. I just didn't have the time to call them all back. Yes, it was rude, in hindsight, having now been on the other end of interviews now and hating that wait to find out one way or the other. Time constraints for managers is likely why they often don't call everyone back, having been in that position.

Oh I wouldn't expect a phone call for an unsuccessful application, I know for jobs in my office we can have 100+ applications for one post so that just wouldn't be feasible. In my profession the application forms you fill out are usually very long, they expect a lot of effort, you could spend hours and hours filling out an application and not to get something is a bit unfair I feel. I don't think it's too difficult for someone to write an email thanking the person for an application and then just BCC it to the email addresses of all the turned down applicants. But I know in reality this isn't feasible for a lot of employers, I think the best thing they can do is publish a date interviewees will know by so you would know you can been unsuccessful, that's easy to do in my field, I know in some jobs they hold applications etc.

I most definitely would expect contact about an interview, but I can't imagine managers not calling back in my profession, in my experience they don't interview more than 5 or 6 people.

Edited to add: just re read I don't think you meant applications anyway. Ignore my waffle....

Same with my profession, we usually only actually interview a handful of people, as our application process is pretty extensive. That's why I gave the example of when I was a hotel manager though, because it really does depend what type of application process they have as to how many they interview. The application when I had that job in college was literally one side of a page. That's it. No way could you actually get enough info from something like that to know if someone is a good fit.

Same with my profession, we usually only actually interview a handful of people, as our application process is pretty extensive. That's why I gave the example of when I was a hotel manager though, because it really does depend what type of application process they have as to how many they interview. The application when I had that job in college was literally one side of a page. That's it. No way could you actually get enough info from something like that to know if someone is a good fit.

Yeah I hadn't thought of that, my bitterness comes from when my hubby was job seeking years ago but he would have been applying for jobs with more general applications, it was still very upsetting at the time sending applications off left, right and centre and not getting any news back. Sorry to hijack OP!

I have some insight here as a large part of my former job was spent in recruitment and hence interviewing.

Firstly, I would not bother sending a thank you of any kind - employment law is quite strict in the uk and the best candidate at the interview should get the job, regardless of whether they are nice / polite or not. In fact, sending something may be interpreted as canvassing, which could disqualify you. ( a stretch I know, but always a risk!)

Secondly, I would not be afraid to ring - chance are you will get someone in HR who can enlighten you, not the manager. And they will be well used to these calls - I know I was!

Thirdly, it may just simply be a delay. Lots of interviews, the paperwork with that, HR staff being busy etc. although it is major event in your life, for those processing this it is just another day at the office and it may have dropped priority to something else.

Also, to answer previous points, the organisation will be obliged to interview all who meet criteria, and if a job has limited criteria then that will be a lot of interviews!

Lastly, please do not get disheartened!! I really hope you get this job, but if you didn't it doesn't mean you did not do well at interview. It's all about who is best, and though you may have been good, someone else might have been better (hope not though!!) I have often interviewed a really good candidate only to have someone better walk in the door. And that's just life :(!

Keep going, there is a job out there for you x

I don't think it's that long. Last time I interviewed 50 people it took a full week and then all of the Monday to go through the scores.

Feel free to give hr a ring and ask for progress but it might just be taking a while.

Good luck anyway though!

I have some insight here as a large part of my former job was spent in recruitment and hence interviewing.

Firstly, I would not bother sending a thank you of any kind - employment law is quite strict in the uk and the best candidate at the interview should get the job, regardless of whether they are nice / polite or not. In fact, sending something may be interpreted as canvassing, which could disqualify you. ( a stretch I know, but always a risk!)

Secondly, I would not be afraid to ring - chance are you will get someone in HR who can enlighten you, not the manager. And they will be well used to these calls - I know I was!

Thirdly, it may just simply be a delay. Lots of interviews, the paperwork with that, HR staff being busy etc. although it is major event in your life, for those processing this it is just another day at the office and it may have dropped priority to something else.

Also, to answer previous points, the organisation will be obliged to interview all who meet criteria, and if a job has limited criteria then that will be a lot of interviews!

Lastly, please do not get disheartened!! I really hope you get this job, but if you didn't it doesn't mean you did not do well at interview. It's all about who is best, and though you may have been good, someone else might have been better (hope not though!!) I have often interviewed a really good candidate only to have someone better walk in the door. And that's just life :(!

Sorry to go off topic OP, what do you mean obligated to interview all who meet the criteria Sinead? I'm just interested :flower: I know that in my job we do not interview everyone, we have an essential and desirable criteria and know that if someone who is disabled and meets all the essential they have to be interviewed, but they don't interview everyone who will meet it, they will pick a max of 5-6 that they can do in one day. They will have a lot of people who will meet all the essential and even desirable as well but desirable is obviously where it is more varied and subjective (essential will purely be with the correct qualifications and previous experience in the field). I don't directly recruit, but it's a small department so we discuss things a lot, I find it very interesting, if things don't work out in my field I may look into HR lol.

I have been doing interviews very recently. I have 4 more to do tomorrow.

The candidates who are unsucessful will be getting a phone call from myself or Service Manager.

Sorry to go off topic OP, what do you mean obligated to interview all who meet the criteria Sinead? I'm just interested :flower: I know that in my job we do not interview everyone, we have an essential and desirable criteria and know that if someone who is disabled and meets all the essential they have to be interviewed, but they don't interview everyone who will meet it, they will pick a max of 5-6 that they can do in one day. They will have a lot of people who will meet all the essential and even desirable as well but desirable is obviously where it is more varied and subjective (essential will purely be with the correct qualifications and previous experience in the field). I don't directly recruit, but it's a small department so we discuss things a lot, I find it very interesting, if things don't work out in my field I may look into HR lol.

Hmmm I'm really surprised your org wouldn't interview all who met criteria. Here, once a criteria is set, all those who meet it must be short listed and move to the next stage, whether that is a test or interview etc. of course, there can also be desirable criteria, and if there is a large number they can invoke desirable and only progress those who meet that. But if if is a job with v little criteria e.g. A cleaner or basic admin, it often doesn't make sense to have desirable criteria and lots of people usually meet it and all have to interviewed. It's to ensure fairness and no discrimination. So if a company just picks a few to interview they are leaving themselves v vulnerable to someone taking a case on grounds of sex, race religion etc. for example when I worked for the NHS all we asked the cleaners to have was a good level of English, and so if they could complete the form that was enough. It wouldn't be fair to ask for gcses etc as they don't need them. They could have also asked for experience, but again it would still have left a large pool of people.

Can I ask then, what basis those who are selected for interview are selected? All I can think of is that here in NI the laws are much stricter than rest of UK due to our checkered past!! Discrimination on religious grounds was rife here years ago. Now it is very procedural, sometimes to the point of nonsense (IMO of course)!

I love working in HR, although often employees don't like us much 😄

Hmmm I'm really surprised your org wouldn't interview all who met criteria. Here, once a criteria is set, all those who meet it must be short listed and move to the next stage, whether that is a test or interview etc. of course, there can also be desirable criteria, and if there is a large number they can invoke desirable and only progress those who meet that. But if if is a job with v little criteria e.g. A cleaner or basic admin, it often doesn't make sense to have desirable criteria and lots of people usually meet it and all have to interviewed. It's to ensure fairness and no discrimination. So if a company just picks a few to interview they are leaving themselves v vulnerable to someone taking a case on grounds of sex, race religion etc. for example when I worked for the NHS all we asked the cleaners to have was a good level of English, and so if they could complete the form that was enough. It wouldn't be fair to ask for gcses etc as they don't need them. They could have also asked for experience, but again it would still have left a large pool of people.

Can I ask then, what basis those who are selected for interview are selected? All I can think of is that here in NI the laws are much stricter than rest of UK due to our checkered past!! Discrimination on religious grounds was rife here years ago. Now it is very procedural, sometimes to the point of nonsense (IMO of course)!

I love working in HR, although often employees don't like us much 😄

I like HR when they reply to my emails :haha:

It'll be based on experience, so essential criteria will be those with the postgrad qualification, and experience within an archive. So easily whittle out those that won't be appropriate. Desirable might be your usual customer service, team stuff, but then more career specific depending on what the role requires such as cataloging. Candidates will then be ranked according to the most experience or most relevant to our collections/environment. We obviously don't have a clue what gender, religion people are when looking at applications. But we're in London and my profession is quite over subscribed, it would be simply implausible to interview everyone who meet the criteria, it's very competitive here for my profession.

Sorry I keep saying "my profession" not to be pompous but because I can imagine it does differ across the board. After uni when I applied for graduate jobs I didn't get interviews despite hitting all the essential criteria, but my experience was limited at that point, and graduate traineeships are very competitive in heritage, it's funny I have found the more competitive the type of job is in my field the more general the criteria can be because they know how selective they can be on experience if that makes sense? Although mainly it's because they can throw away any applications without the postgrad and anyone with the postgrad is obviously going to have relevant experience and be a contender, but it doesn't mean automatic interview. Which I'm glad about because I'm the one who gives the candidates tours so that would be exhausting :haha:

I went for an interview a month ago, got asked back for a second one straight away then it took them 13 days for them to say I got the job, I seriously thought I hadn't got it cause it took them so long.

I went for an interview a month ago, got asked back for a second one straight away then it took them 13 days for them to say I got the job, I seriously thought I hadn't got it cause it took them so long.

The job I currently have was similar to this. I've been here 3 years now, but when I first interviewed for the position, the supervisor of the hospital lab said she loved me, I had everything they were looking for, and she'd tell HR to give me whatever I wanted because they weren't letting me get away. Over a month went by before I got a call from HR. I seriously thought they must have changed their minds and hired someone else it had taken so long. Nope, they are literally just that slow with hiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->