After school snacks

EcoMama

Reaction score
What do you give your dc after school?... Do they have a snack then dinner a bit later on, or dinner soon after coming home?

I tend to do dinner soon after, it's usually beans on toast or soup, but then he's hungry again come half 6ish, so trying to think of snacks x

We get home at 3:15 ish and eat at 5ish, so Emma will have a small snack either on the way home from school or as soon as we get in. I usually offer her fruit, or a treat like a Barney Bear or a cookie. She is excellent for eating fruit and that will be her one sweet treat all day.

I have to be careful though, sometimes she has an afternoon snack at school, in which case I will only offer her something small otherwise she won't eat dinner!

Other snacks I usually have in stock are carrot sticks, houmous, crackers, cheese, humzingers (can usually get in Poundland) crumpets, English muffins.

Earl will normally raid the fridge lol.....yoghurts (frubes), a biscuit and a drink of milk, some mini-cheddars etc. I don't worry too much about it being 'healthy' as he has fruit twice a day at school and I do veg with dinner. I just need him to not pester me while I'm cooking.

We get in about 3.45 and we eat about 5ish. The 2 younger ones have a snack in the pushchair on the school run so they're ok.

We get in from school around 3.30. Monday and Friday they eat at around 5-5.30 as DS is out at 6ish. Tues-Thurs we eat all together at 6.30pm.
DD isn't really bothered about a snack as she's not big into food anyway! DS though grazes from the minute we get home until about 30min before dinner. He usually just has fruit and maybe a slice of toast.
Tbh soup or beans on toast wouldn't be enough of a dinner for mine. If I gave them that they'd definitely be hungry later on. Our evening meals would tend to be big proper meals. The only snack type evening meal that they have is omelet on a Mon or Fri when I need to be quick but I stuff it full of other bits and pieces so it's more filling.

Mine have a snack of fruit, cheese, dried fruit, cake, biscuits or whatever when they leave school as they're hungry, then they have a big dinner about 6-6.30 x

Isla gets some crackers with cheese or bread sticks with hummus and some fruit after school. Then in the evening some cheese on toast. She gets a cooked dinner at school so she doesn't have a full cooked meal at home later. I make that one she's in bed.

Isla gets some crackers with cheese or bread sticks with hummus and some fruit after school. Then in the evening some cheese on toast. She gets a cooked dinner at school so she doesn't have a full cooked meal at home later. I make that one she's in bed.

Do you know what the portion sizes are like at your school?
Esther has school dinners but I still give her a cooked dinner at yoke in the evening. We were told the scoop dinner portions are tiny as they are supposed to be an addition not a substitute to dinners at home. Daniel had the Christmas lunch at school (he usually has a packed lunch) and he said he was really hungry all afternoon.
Just interested to know what other peoples experience is.

Omar eats breakfast at home, he refuses to eat lunch at school, so on our drive back home he eats 1-2 fruit pots and cashew nuts, at around 4.30-5 he eats dinner , before bedtime he always asks for something so he gets bread and a pot of plain natural yoghurt

Rach theyre really small here too. I still do a snacky dinner occasionally though, beans on toast, sandwiches or whatever. As long as there is enough of it, it's fine x

Mine are always starving after school! I often bring them a small snack to eat on the way home, a cereal bar or banana etc and then get tea on as soon as we get home. Yes, they're often hungry around an hour before bed time too so they'll often have something like a yoghurt then xx

I made some no added sugar banana muffins last night, here is the recipe:

https://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7304/no-sugar-added-blueberry-and-banana-wholemeal-muffins.aspx

Very easy to make, and you can freeze them too.

Works best with very ripe bananas as it makes them sweeter!

I will give those a try Laucu I often wonder how to quickly use up over ripe bananas! xx

I pick my little girl up from school at 3.15, and we have dinner/our evening meal at around 5.45 as we like to have it at the table, as a family, with hubby at who doesn't get home from work until 5.30. So I take a snack for my little girl when I pick her up.. it's usually some fruit, some oatcakes/crackers or a biscuit. She is always super hungry after school and the snack never effects how much of her evening meal she eats. xx

Hannah gets home around 4 and we have dinner at 5:30. If she asks for a snack she gets one but she doesn't always ask. Usually she has fruit, a cheese stick, or a yogurt. I tend to avoid anything with carbs as she won't eat her dinner if she has them.

I send a packed lunch to school and they usually have quite a lot in them which is why she doesn't always ask for something to eat after school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->