Against all odds

girl37

Reaction score
Hi

Looking for advice. I am in my guesstimate with my first pregnancy. I am 42. I have seen my midwife who is arranging a date for my in the next few weeks. She mentioned about the nt test. I wasn't going to get it but my husband said we should. I'm worried about it due to my age. Any advise would be appreciated

Hi there, I had the test done with my first pregnancy and it turned out I was 1:244 chance and that freaked me out which when you really look at it there is not much reason to be concerned. I stressed myself out and it bothered me at that time I was 34. My husband and I talked about it and decided it would not matter to us either way, so this time around i am now 37 and I opted out of the test and I am good with my choice. During my 20 18 week scan all measurements were great, features were accounted for and if there was any concern I would have been told. So its a choice you have to make and be good with the outcome no matter what it is. Good luck!! :)

First--I wanted to say Congratulations! Here's to a healthy and happy 9 months and beyond!

I can't be much help when it comes to that test...just sending best wishes and prayers your way :)

I'm 42 and I had a very positive NT screening experience. We know our chances of having a serious chromosomal problem are much higher simply because of our age but if all goes well, the NT scan is a chance for shifting those numbers to a much lower risk category which might make the rest of your pregnancy a less anxious time. (For me it went all the way down to 1:900.) The technology difference between my OB's office ultrasound and the super-hi tech NT measuring ultrasound is also significant - there are many things they look at besides just the nuchal translucency measurement. For me they checked uterine blood flow, listened to the heart beat, and made a ton of measurements. They even showed me a 3D image of my baby and made a gender guess. If they find a problem, there is time for additional testing and follow-up. This could mean you decide to do an invasive test like amniocentesis or that additional ultrasounds might be planned to check on a developmental problem - - many of which resolve themselves. In any case, later on, your family is emotionally prepared and the hospital can be medically prepared to handle whatever it is. Understandably, a lot of people are really upset by a bad ratio - - because it is not a real diagnosis, it is just a statistical bracket - - and when the baby turns out perfect they wish they never did the test because it caused so much unnecessary grief. I think you just have to try to take that into consideration and decide if you want as much information as possible or not.

I'm 39 and DH and I decided that we would go ahead with the NT test and if the odds came back as worrying we would pay for a Harmony test privately (Google it) which is non-invasive and gives a test result which is nearly 100% accurate as yes or no. As it happens my results ended up even better than with my previous pregnancy four years earlier.. (1 in 4500, 1 in 12000 and 1 in 48000!) So the results were actually really reassuring.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am 39 and my NT results came back as 'high risk' (1 in 76) for any of the chromosomal disorders. Once I looked into it though, I found out they use the overall risk for your age as a baseline and adjust it from there, so even if your NT measurements and blood tests are fine, you might come out as high risk just because you have a 'normal' or even lower risk than what would be expected for your age. We ended up getting a private Harmony test done for peace of mind, which came back as low risk. If we have another baby, since I'll be even older, we're just going to go straight to the Harmony test and skip the NT test because it'll likely be high risk again no matter what.

Hi I'm 41 and this is my 1st pregnancy.i opted for NT scan at a private clinic
Bloods taken at 10 weeks and scan at almost 12 weeks.
All measurements at scan looked great and heartbeat was strong.
My risk when calculated with this screening was 1.33 for Down's.
After discussion with consultant at hospital I decided to go for CVS at 13 weeks. Harmony test was mentioned but i wanted definitive results hence CVS,plus i would be given initial results in 2-3 days.
Test results came back as ' no evidence' to suggest any abnormalities detected.
I'm happy i pushed for CVS as doctor in hospital was very happy with scan measurements and not too concerned about my blood work which had other doctor concerned enough for me to be very worried also.
i was quite stressed in my early pregnancy and this was the reassurance i required so i could relax into it.
Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"