Age gaps / only child

Bumblebee24

Mummy July 2014 Rainbow
Reaction score
Hi ladies,
Hope your all well. So me & my husband have a 3 year old. Prior to having our daughter I always thought we'd have 2 children, as did my husband.

We're now almost 4 years since having our DD & both still not 100% sure if/when to try for another. Ideally I'd like to start trying after our trip in March having a 4/5year age gap depending on when/if we fall pregnant. However my husband still isn't sure if he wants a second just yet or at all :wacko: currently using condoms or pull out:dohh:

I wondered what your age gaps are & how they worked or if you have an only child & keeping it that way. We're both only 30 so still have abit of time on our hands. Thanks ladies :thumbup:

My DS and DD have a 2 year and 5 month gap and personally I love it. They're best friends but weren't too close in age at the same time so my DS was old enough to understand a lot of what was happening and didn't get too jealous of DD. This time around I'm worried about having a large age gap because my DH isn't ready to start TTC yet and DD will be 2 in March. I'm hopeful that he'll be ready this Fall.

We have a 2 yr 9 mo gap and it has been great. Like Keely said above, when your oldest can understand more of what is going on, it helps make everything a bit easier. I will say that my pregnancy the second time was really hard. So chasing a 2 year old around was challenging. If we go for another, I think we will put an extra year gap. I think that a 4/5 year old gap would work great! Your DD will love to help with baby and would be old enough to go to school, leaving you time to bond with the new baby as well. Best of luck!

We have 3 years and a few weeks between our two, and I'm very happy with that age gap. DD is old enough to be more self-sufficient, and loves to help out with her little brother. She also started school at 3, so that gave me some one on one time with DS. If we have a third I'd want at least 3 years between them and DS just to make it easier.

My sister and I have a 4 year gap, and I think that's a great gap as well! It also helped my parents, because I finished high school/college before she started so they didn't have two kids doing it at the same time. :)

As hard as it can be with two, I'm glad we didn't stop at one. Watching the two of them play and bond has been the most wonderful thing, and I'm glad they'll have each other growing up. <3

I have between my first 2, 21 months. Our 3rd baby was a major surprise and unplanned so when he arrived, the 2 older ones were 7 and coming up 8. Surprisingly, it works. They are both so much more hands on than DS1 was able to be when DS2 arrived.

I've only got one for now, but my best friend had her 2nd when her daughter was 6. Last weekend I was driving her girl to a party and she said to me "Aunty, I was lonely. Before B was born, it was just me alone. I told mommy I wanted a sibling, and I guess I wanted a sister, but I'm really happy I have a brother. It's never lonely now, even when he's annoying".

She just told me this out of the blue, for no apparently reason <3

They're 7 and a year and a half, and adore each other. She's the perfect big sister, always watching out for him, and they're constantly wrestling and dancing and having a blast. For me, it solidified that the gap doesn't matter; they figure it out.

I have a 6 year age gap between my two and it's awesome. My big kid is such a help with his sister and has been since she arrived. Now at 8 and 2 they're inseparable. A big gap doesn't mean they won't be close!!

Thank you so much ladies really appreciate all your stories. I feel the pressure is off a little to have another so soon x

Bumblebee omg I remember you from ttc just over 5 years ago !!! My dd will be 5 in April and we have only just decided to try for number 2, I came of cerezette a week ago and I’ve been looking back at all our previous posts from 2012

I've only got one for now, but my best friend had her 2nd when her daughter was 6. Last weekend I was driving her girl to a party and she said to me "Aunty, I was lonely. Before B was born, it was just me alone. I told mommy I wanted a sibling, and I guess I wanted a sister, but I'm really happy I have a brother. It's never lonely now, even when he's annoying".

She just told me this out of the blue, for no apparently reason <3

They're 7 and a year and a half, and adore each other. She's the perfect big sister, always watching out for him, and they're constantly wrestling and dancing and having a blast. For me, it solidified that the gap doesn't matter; they figure it out.

Ahhh that’s so cute !

I have 2 years 10 months between my girls. They adore each other.

I would sit down with your DH and have a good chat about and see how you both feel. Different she gals suit different family’s . There’s no right or wrong age gap .

Bumblebee omg I remember you from ttc just over 5 years ago !!! My dd will be 5 in April and we have only just decided to try for number 2, I came of cerezette a week ago and I&#8217;ve been looking back at all our previous posts from 2012

OMG no way wow :flower: I defo remember you cant belive it was just over 5 years ago flippin eck. I remeber our chats well, so much support in our little group when we orginal all started ttc. I really wish you the very best of luck hun Xx

@Babybump87 your absolutely right x

Bumblebee omg I remember you from ttc just over 5 years ago !!! My dd will be 5 in April and we have only just decided to try for number 2, I came of cerezette a week ago and I’ve been looking back at all our previous posts from 2012

OMG no way wow :flower: I defo remember you cant belive it was just over 5 years ago flippin eck. I remeber our chats well, so much support in our little group when we orginal all started ttc. I really wish you the very best of luck hun Xx

@Babybump87 your absolutely right x

I know I can’t believe it’s been 5 years it’s flown !
We only decided around Xmas time to try for another. We plan to try in March if af’s go ok.
What about you ? X

My age gaps are: 22mths between 1 and

then 7yrs between

and 4 yrs between

The middle 2 argue constantly despite big age gap. The 4 yr age gap has been the best by far.

@MME really not sure. We're going to Dominican Republic end of March for my birthday so defo not before then. Also as Dom rep is still on amber alert/level 2 for Zika virus. I've been reading that they recommend 6 months for men before ttc & 2 months for women. As my hubby is coming too :winkwink: looks like we might have to wait atleast 6 months upon our return before ttc. Might have to talk to medical experts for further info though, it's not really reported on here any more is it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->