Aggressive Autistim

JaniceT

Mum to a gorgeous boy.
Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone could advice. My niece has recently started getting aggressive when she wants something, is bored, etc etc. She can rip a room apart from top to bottom. Throwing things a lot.

In the family, there is a newborn less than 2 months old. Also my baby about 6 months. My niece has thrown things at the shih tzu and also at my baby (bad aim, missed by a few inches several times). Also has slapped my baby on his chest. He doesn't cry, quite a tough boy. We of course love her tremendously and accept her as she is, with aggression and all. However, what should we do to avoid any untoward incidents with the babies?

I am sorry but I really would not blame nor fear the child. The adult who is looking after the child at the time HAS to take full responsibility for the child and prevent any accidents that may be about to occur. Why is the baby not being kept away if people fear she may hurt the baby? x Sorry but I just think more needs to be done, this can not be blamed on autism, the aggression is mearly a way of her expressing another need.

Midnight, my niece can be perfectly fine one moment, then throw things the next. The younger baby is now kept at a distance from her after what the mother experienced with her dog being thrown toys at. The babies both are always being carried by an adult when my niece is around.

Is it advisable to keep the babies separated from my niece? Such as different rooms? I know my niece takes offense when we move the baby away from her. Fired her aggression further.

My niece can move like lightning. She is fast! At a blink of an eye, she can move and grab on something and throw it.

She has spent years on behavior therapy, speech therapy, all types of therapy. Still, Autism throws new curve balls at everyone.

Also, the mum and doctor already suspect her aggression is from being bitten badly at school. Also suspect she throws things for attention, and also because she is angry her brothers go to school while she is at home. Trying very hard to get her playmates. Yet she loves to see the reaction of people when she throws things.

I guess my son could be described as agressive too, He has autism, he is going through a biting phase at the moment and wrecks rooms as you have described, we have had to bolt his wardrobe to the wall and his chest of drawers. We have had to seal his window shut, remove the door as he would bang it constantly and have an extra high dog gate on the door instead. He will literally wreck everything in his path if we did not make things safe for him. As for the babies with him, we do not leave our younger two unattended with our son at any time at all. It is extremely difficult but usually these behaviours are 'phases'. xx

Thank you, Mumof5. My niece hasn't gotten violent with the babies such as biting them that's why I still do let her near my son. I want her to feel that she is loved and a part of our family as much as all the other children are. By removing my baby, she will sense it and feel isolated :-( I guess I just don't know where to draw the line, as in whether I should keep baby away or to play by ear. Hence I seek advice from all who have experienced this.

Babies are being supervised. Yet the toys and heavy books can fly a few meters. Our reflexes aren't as fast as hers, to be honest. This is exactly why I am posting this question in the first place. As the babies are already supervised, where do we decide to or not to let babies near our niece? Do we keep baby in a separate area away from my niece? Is that even a good idea to do that? Where do we draw the line of the babies safety and niece's needs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->