Agonising after pains

Beee

Reaction score
Posted this elsewhere but have had no response. Can anyone help?

I am at my wits end today and hope someone can offer some advice.*
I am 6 days post partum and am experiencing horrendous cramping, particularly on the left side. It radiates into my thigh and hip area. I have been sitting shaking because of the intensity. This tends to happen twice a day and lasts around half an hour. In between I am absolutely fine.
Has anyone else experienced pain this severe? I'm due a post natal check with my gp on Tuesday but not sure if I should be contacting anyone before then.
Thanks
Xx

Hi there, I had HORRIFIC after pains, I would describe them as one thousand times worse than anything I experienced in labour, I did labour pain relief free but with after pains I was on all 4s literally screaming in pain, however it was breastfeeding that initiated it, the only thing that worked was liquid Ibuprofen and a TENS machine when BF, they subsided after a couple of days and started almost immediately after labour. Is there any pattern to your pain? Does it go quickly? How is your bleeding? If you get a temperature I would be tempted to call 111, I'm not a dr but my concern at bad pain that fair along after birth would be any retained product?

Just seen this is your second, after pains gets worse with each child also.

Mine were definitely worse with my second baby. Might be worthmmentioning it to your midwife or doctor though just to rule out infection x

I had horrendous after pains the third time I would wake up screaming and my whole body was shaking. I took paracetamol and codeine that you can get over the counter which helped but I don't think you can have it of bf although stupidly I did because I totally forgot that you shouldn't .

Thanks so much for the responses.

.... Is there any pattern to your pain? Does it go quickly? How is your bleeding? If you get a temperature I would be tempted to call 111, I'm not a dr but my concern at bad pain that fair along after birth would be any retained product?

It tends to last around 30 minutes and then fades. During this time I literally can't move, but once its stopped there is not even the slightest discomfort in between. Its not happening whilst bf'ing though. Tends to happen once in the morning and then again around 4pm. I don't have a fever, bleeding is still what I would describe as 'medium flow' lol. Its red in colour, not dark and no clots.
Day 7 now and had them again today. Just horrendous xx

Ugh after pains, the thought of them makes me scared to have another LO- not labour, I can handle that, but last time the after pains had me shaking and sweating with the pain. It is normal for them to be severe, but I would definitely still mention it to your MW and ask her to check your uterus is contracting back as normal, in case you have an infection. Hope they stop soon! :hugs:

If it's lasting that long at a time, you need to call someone and get checked. I also has horrific after pains, but I cannot imagine them lasting 30 min. It's a uterine contraction. What you're describing sounds more like a retained placenta or an infection. Did you receive any pp pitocin/syntocin/oxytocin?

No, I had a physiological 3rd stage. I might give the hospital a call tomorrow to see what they advise.
Thank you xx

Just to update, saw my gp today who did a thorough examination and said my uterus is contracted right back now. She took a swab just in case of infection but wasn't concerned. The pains are getting less frequent now thankfully, but my bleeding remains the same.
Xx

The swabs showed I do have an infection so am now on antibiotics. Glad I got things checked xx

I'm glad you went back hun, hope you feel better soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->