Agonizing period pain-any suggestions?

jillypoop

Mummy of one
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have always suffered from really bad period pains but this month (I came on this morning) its worse than normal.

My muscles are aching all over, strangely enough, mainly my thighs and arms. I haven't been over-exercising or anything like that but its really achey and can't sit still long but can't walk much either. I'm anaemic so not sure if its anything to do with that but the tablets I have taken haven't really helped (only have paracetamol in the house and don't feel up to going out for more).

I've got a hot water bottle which is helping but thought I would see if there was anyone on here that could help? Has anyone tried this thing called an Mn8? Apparently you put it in your pants and makes the pain almost disappear but its £20 so can't afford to get it if it doesn't work.

please help guys, am by myself and in agony and feeling very sorry for myself :(

xxx

Well I know exactly how you feel, this past period of mine was horrible, I was bed ridden for a day and the bleeding was so heavy I thought I was going to die. Needless to say I was out of prescription painkillers I normally take (they are called Naproxen) and they work so well...they literally take away most pain. But I guess if you don't have them, hot baths and not moving to much is all that works for me, I wish I could be more helpful, I know exactly your pain though and it sucks!

girl, trust me, I understand. Heating pads are great, so is lots and lots of Tylenol and hot showers or baths. Believe it or not, if you can stand it, take a walk, it works some of the clots and pain out of your uterus (I know, way tmi). The longer you lay in one position, the more it will hurt. I hope it passes soon.

I used to have the worst period pain...well still do! But I would personally go to your doctor and tell them your in lots of pain! I went to mine as when i got my period I could hardly walk because of the back pain and my left side of my abdoman would hurt like hell..so she gave me tylenol 3 and Naproxen...it works wonders! Id also use a heating pad and hot bathes! Best of luck...I hope u feel better soon,girl! :)

hi guys :)

Feeling a bit better today but my back is still really bad. I come on, I get a sore tummy then my back starts and the tablets get rid of the tummy pain and my back hurts for 2 or 3 days. It's right at the bottom of my back and feels like I've been bending over for a few hours then stood up straight!

Going in to town soon so hoping that the walk will make me feel a bit better.

I need to go back to the doctors but he gave me iron tablets and I haven't been taking them as much as I should because of the side-effects so I'm a bit embarassed to go. I was going to start taking them again today but OH has packed them away somewhere for moving at the weekend.

The feminax ultra tablets have naproxen in don't they? Are they good?

Thanks guys :hugs:
xxx

Naproxen is about as good as you can get for period pains. The nature of the pain means that certain painkillers won't work, which is why paracetamol (Tylenol in the US) isn't always brilliant. In the UK, you need to ask your doctor to prescribe naproxen. To get the full benefit of the drug, you need to start taking it a day or so before your period is due.

I used to take more than the prescription recommended. However, I have a pharmaceuticals background so I know what I am doing, and I suggest very much that you do NOT do this unless you also know what you're doing, because overdose of any drug is not good.

I used to take naproxen. I have stopped now because I am TTC, and there is a small chance that the drug can cause temporary infertility. (This is only temporary, so don't all panic and throw your drugs away!)

Other things that help me:

Use the essential oil clary sage mixed in a carrier oil such as almond oil and massage into your abdomen and back. You need to make sure the oil is pure (Neal's Yard Remedies is a good place to buy pure organic essential oils - clary sage will be less than a tenner and will last you for years).

Buy a wheat-bag that you heat in the microwave and then place on your back and abdomen.

Finally, a really weird one - lie in a bath full of cold water. Not for everyone, I know, but it did used to help me sometimes.

I hope you feel better really soon, because menstrual pain is simply one of the most horrible pains in the world.

Am going to go to doctors about them. He prescribed me mefanemic acid (sp?) but they didn't work at all and made me feel a bit sick.
I'm not brave enough to try the bath full of cold water!! Maybe if it gets really hot in the summer and I have period pains.
Also, this month, sorry if TMI but I have been much heavier than normal, so much so that I don't feel comfortable going out very far. Need to go out for "feminine supplies" in the morning though! I have never been comfortable with parents/OH, or anyone apart from my sis to buy them so even though OH is down near tescos, he's not allowed to get me them.

not feeling too bad today, took some tablets after breakfast but none since then.

thanks everyone

xxx

Mine are the same, feminax ultra are good but make me super sleepy! Heat pads are meant to be good as well although i've not tried them xx

ive always been given mefenamic acid for my bad periods, and was advised to start taking them a couple of days running upto my period when they were heavy and at the most painfull. But eat with them-they will make you feel sick if taken on an empty stomach!! theyve been a gods send for me, even on the pill and implant ive got the worst period pains even though the gp says i shouldnt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->