ahhhhh painful ductal thrush....

pcsoph2890

Reaction score
Phew what a horrible niggly pain in the boob it is.....

About 3 weeks ago at my breast feeding support group I mentioned the burning pain I had in my boobs after feeding and thought it was a bit late for let down.... was told by the support workers that it wasn't let down and get to the drs as it sounded like ductal thrush.

So off I went to the drs on Wednesday last week. Ah a youngish woman dr I thought, she'll be all up to date with things and might be a bit more sympathetic towards my bf issues. Explained the symptoms I had:-
1) burning deep pain in both breasts after feeding (more pain if you go out in the cold) which shoots to the nipple
2) nipples so sensitive that wearing loose clothing over them was excruciating.

I didn' t have any visible signs of thrush nor did my daughter.

The drs reply "oh never heard of that".....Then I explained that I at first thought it was let down, but told it Isn't.
The drs reply "oh what's let down?"
So my confidence that she had no idea what she was talking about (clearly) so that was the end of the appt.....

On to last Thursday night, was in such pain with it was crying, it hurt that much I physically could not latch her onto either breast.
Now I was having issues with latching anyway but this was more than that pain.
I couldn't express either without being in pain.... So then started the water works. Called the drs at 8am for an emergency appt. Got told a nurse could see me at 3pm.

Got there to be told no the nurse could not do anything. The water gates just opened I was bawling in the room with th nurse, so much I couldn't talk. The nurse didn't know what to do so she got the male Dr in to see me.
He told.me that the support worker was wrong when I explained that both myself and my daughter needed to be treated together or we'd just reinfect each other. He examined me and told me I didn't have mastitis - which I replied I knew I hadn't I wasn't saying I had that. He told.me I had no signs nor did my daughter, which again I said sometimes it was visibly symptomless.
I was telling them this pain was not normal and I knew something was wrong.

In essence he told.me to stop the pain then bind my boobs up and stop bf, the nurse suggested putting canesten cream on my nipples to help and a cabbage leaf.

Again in absolute floods of tears. I have found bf so hard already and really struggled with it all, so to be told I had to stop to stop the pain was totally demoralizing and I felt awful.
Tears on th way home. Tears when at home, felt like a total failure, I couldn't feed my daughter.

Amazingly my bf support worker then popped round on her afternoon off to drop off the nhs policy on ductal thrush and how it should be treated, told.me to get to the walk in centre now and show them the document and demand they treat me.
So off I trotted, eyes red, bloodshot, and hurting. Got seen within an hr by a nurse who immediately read the document and prescribed me what I needed.

I am still feeling the burning pain after feeding after 4 days.... So waiting for it to subside, but only just restarted bf yesterday, so had been expressing before then.

So this is just an entry to all women, if you know something is not right (not necessarily to do with bf) and you get fobbed off by the drs, go and get second and third opinions if need be....

The thing that worries me is the state I was in I could of have been suffering pnd and I was just dismissed, not listened to then allowed to leave in a totally distressed state who knows what I could've done to myself or my daughter if I had pnd.. I could've been crying out for help and am really angry about that....
So please ladies just don't accept what the drs say, take info In with you to show them and stick to your guns if you are not being listened to!!!

Right off to try to feed my daughter, and take some paracetamol to ease the burning pain!!!

're the male dr he told me to stop the pain then I should stop bf my daughter, bind my boobs to stop the engorement and it'll go away. (Bloody tablet changes everything I write!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->