AIOs vs Pockets & what's "normal"...

amanthony

Z's Mama
Reaction score
How often is "normal" for changing a cloth diaper? I have a heavy wetter so I know that it will be often, but I'm still just curious. It seems like I've got to change him about once/hour to avoid soaking through our AIOs (not pocketed, with microfiber soaker and suedecloth inner & liner, snap closures).

We have some bamboo fleece & peached suedecloth liners, and they don't seem to make a huge difference. A friend suggested a pocketed AIO with a bamboo insert, but wouldn't that be about the same as the liner?

I'm a first-time mommy and CDer who's only tried one type of diaper, so I don't know what "normal" is. From what I've read, the soaking through could just be the nature of CDing. But I also have a friend with a heavy wetter about the same age as my DS, and she said her son can go 2 hours without a soaking through--and that's without a liner!

I love the WAHM who I bought these diapers from, but I don't know if I should be trying others before I order the next size up. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

i would definately try a few others hun..every hour seems a little extreme...my little one isnt really a heavy wetter but i only change her 4-5 times a day (excluding night time nappy) and they are never soaked through....TBH i could leave her in them for longer but i like to change her regularly to stop her getting a sore bottom.

If your Little one is a super heavy wetter i would definately recommend trying a Pop In or a Bum Genius AIO.

i would also say to remember that the more you wash the nappies the more absorbent they become......some fabics take up to 10 washes to reach full absorbency :hugs:

I have a heavy wetter and we use Bumgenius organic all in ones, pop ins and organic flips (have others besides) but these hold a hugh amount of liquid (you can feel the weight of the nappy when you take it off) we only used 6-7 nappies a day at the very most, typically 5.

You said you brought off a WAHM, it may well be worth you trying others either WAHM's or manufactured ones to see the difference before investing again.

Just curious but what material are they made of?

Agree with the others, I have a heavy wetter and we use BG AIOs, Pop Ins and Flips mostly, I change every 2/3 hours but could go longer sometimes. :)

I have a heavy wetter, we change maybe 4-5hours, unless he's pooed. He goes through about 3-4 nappys in the day and one at night.

every 1 hour seems extreme!

we change 3hrly, but they'd last 4-5 easily if necessary, I use mainly blueberry sidesnaps with combo insert and an additional hemp insert, weenotions sidesnaps with petit dessous bamboo inserts and a easy peasy hemp insert, and an assortment of WAHM and mummymade fitteds, dunk n fluff, fluff n stuff, weenotions northern lights, muttaqins, flutterby fluff, hollow oak, jimmy riddles, and sweetiebums, with wool longies or skirties

Just curious but what material are they made of?

I have 2 kinds, actually...most are AIOs with a flannel outer, microfiber soaker and suedecloth inner & liner.

I also have a few AI2s, which have the pul outer and a really thick terry tri-fold, which does work a lot better.

I haven't charted the time these stay dry but I did chart the AIOs yesterday...even with a bamboo liner, the diapers are soaked through in an hour. At an hour and 15 minutes he'll even soak through the PUL cover and into his clothes. I thought this was just what I had to deal with for choosing to CD...I am going crazy thinking of how much frustration (not to mention $) has gone into this process if it could be as easy as you all are saying!!! :dohh:

Attachments

• zebra_butt.jpg
    zebra_butt.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 4
i would also say to remember that the more you wash the nappies the more absorbent they become......some fabics take up to 10 washes to reach full absorbency :hugs:

I washed 8 washes before using them even the first time, and they've had LOTS of washes since (going through 1/hour will do that!) I tried stripping them with Dawn, which seemed to help with the little rash he was getting but didn't affect absorbancy...

I do a rinse cycle with 1/4 cup baking soda, hot wash with 1/4 c baking soda and about 1/2 laundry soap you'd normally use for a load of that size (All Free & Clear, which is supposed to be okay)...sometimes I use white vinegar in the rinse cycle for the smell, but nothing else. Is it something I'm doing wrong?

Thank you all SO MUCH for the help! :hugs:

Have you tried using only a 1/4 detergent?

I actually use very very little detergent. A couple of teaspoons for 10 dipes on a full water cycle.

I used to measure it at 1/4 or 1/2, now I just eyeball it. Maybe I should be more precise. Thanks TL!

Molly is a very heavy wetter, esp during a growth spurt and I only need to change her every 4-5 hours in itti SIOs. First time I used them I hadn't washed them enough and she leaked after 2 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->