Air Travel and IVF

40yearoldmum

Reaction score
Hi Just spoken to my friend who is 8 weeks pregnant from 1st cycle of IVF here in the UK.
Anyway, my hubby and I have been trying to concieve number 2 for 11 months now and after tests 2 miscarriages etc etc I reckon Its my old eggs!!! So a long story short we are planning to try IVF out in Budapest in January. Why abroad...cheaper!!!
Anyway she said she was advised not to travel by air during IVF...
Obviously I'll have to fly and I presume the return after transfer is most critical.
I spoke to my GP and she said although no evidence she assumes that the pressurised climate will reduce oxygen circulating in the body hence hindering implantation. Arghhhhh
Anyone have any real facts on this. Obviously people do get BFP from overseas and travel by air to get there and return so Im looking for odds of it not catching really.
Just something else to worry about LOL!!!

pressurised climate will reduce oxygen circulating in the body hence hindering implantation.
Don't have the facts, but a lot of cabin attendants do get pg:thumbup:
Budapest is only about 3hrs isn't it? It's not bad.

I on the other hand have 3 long haul flights on my 2ww:haha:
One 7hr flight and two 11hr flights...:blush:

Not doing IVF though. Just Clomid & expensive Puregon(Follistim) injections...

I was advised by my acupuncturist not to travel too far by plane during my TWW. Her reasons were that the blood vessels can narrow due to cabin pressure thus having a potentially reducing effect on blood flow to the uterus. I think for me it was because I was wanting to do a 9 hour flight to Florida, during my fourth TWW that she said no.

Go with whatever feels right for you. If you're the sort of person that blames yourself for failures then don't do it. If you're quite chilled out, take most things in your stride, and won't find fault in every little thing you did or didn't do during the TWW, then go for it. The vast majority of women going through IVF should be fine on a flight. If you have any blood clotting issues, then you should definitely look into it more beforehand.

Hope that makes sense, and helps a bit.

good luck

x

blood vessels can narrow due to cabin pressure thus having a potentially reducing effect on blood flow to the uterus.
Makes sense. 40YOM, I suppose you can't take the train back?

Just looked it up, it's 24hr train journey:shock:
I don't know which is worse, a short hop on the plane or 24hr train journey.

Anyway, here's what I found:https://www.seat61.com/Hungary.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->