Alcohol and first weeks of pregnancy

greenpear

Mama to my girl + boy <3
Reaction score
I"m quite worried and will bring it up with GP when I see him Jan 2 but I really need some thoughts, opinions. Last AF was Oct 31. Next one didn't come on time but I wasn't worried as I've known to wait up to 60 days for AF to come. Dec 5th was a day before our vacation, so I tested with a cheap store test (in the evening with diluted urine) and it was negative. I figured if I was pregnant it would show up at any time so with that in mind we went off on our vacation not worrying. I drank for the first 4 days there. Just casual drinking and only one night in the very beginning hubby and I got drunk. Then I started to feel sick on the trip so after 1 day of dismissing it as bad food the next day I decided to test. This was about 2 weeks of missed period. I got a very strong BFP on Frer taken in middle of the day with diluted urine. BFP came up before control line. Starting from that day I didn't take a drop of alcohol and will not, not even on New Year's eve. But I'm worried. My dating scan is Dec 31 so I'll know if I'm as far along as I think or less but I'm just so worried! Did I hurt my baby?

Please honest opinions.

Thanks ~ :flower:

No you didn't hurt your baby. My sister in law didn't know she was pregnant until she was 9 weeks along and her OBGYN told her that it was ok. Don't worry too much just enjoy your bfp! Congrats!

Thank you :) I really really hope so. I feel stupid I didn't test with Frer too before leaving but I honestly didn't feel pregnant or even PMS that time so I thought I was just late as usual :(

I know so many people who drink until 6ish weeks when they find out they're pregnant and their babies Are fine. I am sure yours will be the same! We are just one day apart from each other. :)

My OH and I have this joke that EVERY time I drink, we find out within a few days that I'm pregnant, and this has rung true with all 3 of my pregnancies!! With my second, I drank half a bottle of tequila! It didn't affect anything. He's now a wonderful 6 month old, and my other two are healthy, too. My doctor said that alcohol won't usually have any effect in the early weeks, and especially if you haven't had any bleeding, the chance of alcohol having caused a problem is extremely rare. That's my doctor's opinion, anyway, but she's been doing this for a long time, and she has 3 children of her own, so I trust that she knows what she's talking about based on her experiences/patients... Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I have a friend with long cycles too, and she went on a liquor binge not realizing she was pregnant! (her baby was a complete shock)

She too was very worried but her son is completely normal in every way. She doesn't drink anymore though.

Don't stress, I'm sure all is well. :)

You'll be ok just make sure you start taking folate or folic acid right away!

I drank quite heavily (multiple Christmas parties and nights out clubbing) with my first not knowing I was pregnant. In the new year I went on a diet cos my clothes were getting tight- thought id over done it! And when I first tested I was 17+1! So I'd been drinking ALOT! I had a perfectly healthy 10lb 1.5oz baby girl and she's been fit as a fiddle ever since! Rarely even gets colds! Your LO will be fine :)
I've obviously known from the earliest possible moment this time around and haven't touched a drop nor will I. If you don't know it's not like you've made a bad choice. As soon as you found out you stopped. Try not to worry :) hope the 31st comes round quick for you!

Thank you all so much for responses. This makes me feel a bit better. I guess now only time will tell and I'll be praying that my baby will also be good and healthy like yours was :)

I agree with all the other ladies Hun, I know plenty of people who haven't known and been drinking, including myself this time as I had no clue we'd managed to dtd during my fertile time!! And yesterday I saw a healthy little baby at my scan. Don't worry Hun, I'm sure it won't have caused any problems. Congratulations!!

You'll be fine :)

Last time I got hammered at about 4 weeks pregnant as I didn't know I was! This time I went to Alton Towers when 4 weeks pregnant as again didn't know I was!!

I wouldn't think a few drinks in the super early implanting stage makes much difference. Fetal alcohol syndrome tends to occur when alcohol is regularly drunk to excess in the first tri x

Before I found out I was pregnant with my first I got very drunk on several occasions. Felt awful, but I had a healthy pregnancy and he's perfect.

Found out I was expecting my 1st the day I got home from a Mexico vacation... Needless to say there was a lot of drinking that week before! I was a tad nervous too, but my LO is perfectly healthy. Hope these experiences give you some peace of mind :)

I didn't find out I was pregnant til I was 23 weeks and had several heavy nights out. My LO is absolutely perfect in every way

A few days before I got my BFP I was out the Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights and got absolutely off my face ( hahaha) due to 2 friends seperate birthdays & a bank holiday! I found out the Thursday after when I was around 4+3. (Though our scan put us back 5 days so I would've been 3+5) we've measured the latter ever since but anyway, my 3 nights of carnage did no harm so I wouldn't worry as my little boy is perfect :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->