Alcohol in pregnancy

XKatX

Reaction score
I wish they'd make their flipping minds up!!!
I've just seen a news report saying that new research has shown a couple of units of alocohol a week is good for you and doesn't harm the baby.
So - when I first fell pregnant, they decided that not a drop should pass your lips at all - and now I'm about to have this baby any day, they've changed it to a couple of units per week (potentially!!!).
WTF :hissy: Is this just a wind up for me personally do you think??!!!

Edited to add - Although this is new research - it is not a new official government guideline - just an article I saw on the morning news.

TypicaL! Well this could benefit me though If i could convince ooh thats its ok - he wont even let me cook risotto (stir until 150ml of wine has dissolved and evapourated into the rice) come ON!!!

With both my pregnancies I had a glass of wine maybe 2 or 3 times and no larger than a shot glass sip. Both my girls were born happy and healthy and still are to this day. Oddly enough it tasted horrible to me then.

My midwife sent me some junk through post and that said it was safe upto 4 units a wk

I would still not touch it to be on the safe side its the easiest way. i am really looking forward to a big glass of wine at the end of this though !

Its a minefield ... there are just too many mixed messages i wish they would make their mind up!!

I don't understand why it's so hard to avoid alcohol whilst being pregnant. It's 40 weeks out of an entire lifetime - surely it's not THAT hard to do.

glad you wrote this post as i nearly did.
they saying equiv 1 glass a week could prevent behaviour probs. what a cop out of stupid research results.
if i was going to excuse myself and have the odd drink out of guilt 'i'd probably say too "oh yes my childs perfectly behaved" if i were to tell the truth when i don't drink a drop in pregnancy i'd say "well she's pretty normal the odd tantrum here and there, she/he is not perfect" because no child is perfect.
now if i were a raging drinker pregnancy or not you'd be that invovled in the drink you childs gonna be an attention seeking brat.
just my thoughts on it.
i'm going to have a glass of rose with my crimbo dinner, and a baileys new year eve.
i dont miss alcohol at all.
if girls want to drink thats fine its their baby,
i personally don't drink much anyway unless its a occasion and i aint preggers, cos i don't know my limits lol and drink too much too soon in the nite, and i'm always the first one wrecked and ill the next day lol

I don't understand why it's so hard to avoid alcohol whilst being pregnant. It's 40 weeks out of an entire lifetime - surely it's not THAT hard to do.

i totally agree! 40 weeks is so easy to be 100 percent selfless

I told my other half I will be having a small glass on xmas day and a small glass on new years eve & he went so moody with me, thought I was going to harm the baby!! No matter what I tried to tell him, so protective haha

We don't drink really, but this will be my first xmas/new year without my annual glass of Baileys, but I can't say I'll miss it as I don't drink normally anyway.

I just wouldn't risk it. 9 months without alcohol and smoking isn't much to ask for IMO.

I saw this news article this morning and thought "What a pile of pants" If you have a glass or two your child is something like 40% less likely to have behavior problems" ... wth why because we gave him alcohol to chill him out so he is now less stressed. *shakes head* where do they find these scientists.

I'd rather stick to how its always been and not have any. Better to be safe than sorry in my eyes.

I saw this news article this morning and thought "What a pile of pants" If you have a glass or two your child is something like 40% less likely to have behavior problems" ... wth why because we gave him alcohol to chill him out so he is now less stressed. *shakes head* where do they find these scientists.

I'd rather stick to how its always been and not have any. Better to be safe than sorry in my eyes.

That's what I thought! I guess a drunk baby would be less stressed than a sober one...

I haven't drunk for 7 and a half years...not even a sip as most of the time I have been either pregnant or breastfeeding....or looking after the kids obviously:dohh:

I reckon I may well turn to alcohol once I have 4 kids to look after:rofl:

I totally agree i used to be partial to a few jack and cokes at the weeked but haven't had a drop while pregnant and to be honest haven't missed it OH has joined in too i reckon i won't bother once baby is here either as i will be breastfeeding (hopefully).

I saw a similar article this morning where it said that not only was having one or two units a week ok, it might actually help prevent future behavioural and emotional problems in your baby! DEFINITELY never heard that one before! I've been having a glass of wine on a special occasion but that's about it.

i think if you didnt drink in the first place much its easy 2 say 40 weeks isnt long. i find 40 weeks a hell of a long time 2 go without a good drink. ive given up smoking, drinking and rare steak for 9 months and this is my 3rd time. ive decided not 2 take up smoking again as i found it so easy 2 give up each time i cant see the point of starting again.

but as for alcohol the times i miss it will be xmas and my birthday i can take it or leave it other times but i like 2 get thouroughly sloshed at those times....but my gorgeous kids are all more than worth it :)

I had a few glasses throughout my pregnancy and would again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->