Alcohol in pregnancy

i think this just proves that they still dont actually know for sure what effects alcohol does or doesnt have!!! You will find the same thing about peanuts, some say if babies are weened to them in pregnancy they are less likely to have allergies!

The placenta blocks most infections during pregnancy so surely it blocks alcohol?! your blood never mixes so who knows!

I havent had anything and i LOOOOOVE my wine, but i dont think it would harm the baby if i did have it, i will probably have a mouthful to toast with at christmas but that will be it!! the french must drink wine all the time!!

we all turned out fine and our parents never had these guidelines!!

defo a choice thing, neither drinking or not drinking is wrong or right!!

I have never been much of a drinker but I've had the odd glass so far during my pregnancy, like one glass over maybe 4 or 5 separate occasions over the past 20 odd weeks. I really don't believe that will have caused any harm and I wouldn't hesitate to have one glass with my Christmas dinner if I feel like it. I think some the 'rules' these days are way too OTT. For example caffeine is also bad for you but I bet there are loads of people that probably haven't cut down on that during pregnancy as it's not frowned upon in the same way that alcohol is.

I always feel you really need to read the proper detailed report on things like this. I read the kids tested were 3? I mean how do we know the fact the better behaved kids of the mothers who consumed alcohol whilst preg in small amounts is correct. I would imagine if someone has the odd drink whilst preg they probably do the same whilst bf and in an evening when kids are in bed. Perhaps they are better behaved because the parents are more chilled and its down to the way they nurture the kids rather than the fact they drank whilst pregnant!

I wonder if a study into the way parents who drink/don't drink deal with their 3 yrs olds would compare.

And who decides what is good/bad behaviour?

My OH convinced me to have a half pint of lager on Saturday after reading that research. I always enjoyed a drink pre-pregnancy but haven't touched a drop since I found out I was pregnant.
I'm not touching any more for the rest of the pregnancy! It tasted horrible (I didn't even manage half a pint), gave me a nasty headache, made me really tired and I felt sick all night.
I believe in listening to my body and surely that kind of reaction tells me that it's really not a good idea!

Ah the old alcohol thing, the problem is no wonder Mum's to be are confused when even the experts agree. If you look at the food standards agency, the NICE guidelines etc etc they all state different things, how can you know when they dont?

The problem with this research is that it was done looking back. What I mean it wasnt woman asked to keep a diary of what they drunk whilst they were pregnant and then nine months after baby was born they met the children to see how they behaved, but rather they asked the women to think back about how much they drunk during pregnancy, so whilst you will know if you drunk none, of just one/twice etc, if you drunk regularly it would be just an estimate of I drunk..... every week IMO this is unreliable cos invariably it is gonna change week to week.

The other thing people struggle with is how much a unit is, my idea of a small glass of wine might be different to yours, or the people who decide how much a unit is.

It's tough for me to avoid being newly 19 (I turned 19 Friday, it's the legal age for drinking in Canada) and all of my friends party A LOT, drinking is really all they do when they get together. BUT I have not had one drink since finding out I was pregnant and even before I knew for sure I couldn't drink, it didn't taste right and I couldn't enjoy it. My body knew before my mind did I suppose!

Anyways.. my boyfriend's step cousin was drinking wine at Thanksgiving dinner and I read in a magazine that while you're in labour drinking a glass of wine can relax you? I've also seen the reports that one or two drinks is alright per week.. but until there is some universally accepted standard.. making my boyfriend have a beer then give me a smooch is good enough for me <3

I wish they'd make their flipping minds up!!!
I've just seen a news report saying that new research has shown a couple of units of alocohol a week is good for you and doesn't harm the baby.
So - when I first fell pregnant, they decided that not a drop should pass your lips at all - and now I'm about to have this baby any day, they've changed it to a couple of units per week (potentially!!!).
WTF :hissy: Is this just a wind up for me personally do you think??!!!

Edited to add - Although this is new research - it is not a new official government guideline - just an article I saw on the morning news.

All this research.. I read about a study that found that if you use gas during labour, your baby is more likely to become addicted to drugs during their teenage years!!! :rofl:

I stick with what my doctor says If you CRAVE IT do it, when you crave something your body is telling you its missing something.

With that said I craved wine when preggers with carlee, One sip had me puking 2 mins later. Got rid of that craving

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->