Alexander James Broadhurst Born 29th Jan

LuluBee

Mummy to Alex
Reaction score
Well after a rather complex pregnancy I was hoping my labour would be nice and straight forward - that wasn't quite the case, here is my birth story.

On Tuesday 27th Jan I went for my 40 week appointment with the midwife and was told to pop into hospital to get checked over because my blood pressure was really high - they had been querying pre-eclampsia for a couple of weeks. We went in and got checked over and they decided that it would be best to keep me in over night and beings as it was my due date the next day anyway they were going to induce me.

I spent all night lying awake trying to get some sleep but couldn't rest, thinkijng about having my baby the next day. As it turned out they were too busy with emergency cases to induce me, but they did a sweep and we waited to see if anything happened. Over night I started to get regular contrractions, but they died away by morning.

At 11 o'clock on the 29th they decided to get things started, they broke my waters, as I was already 4cm dilated, and told me to go for a walkand grab some lunch. By 1 o'clock we were back on Delivery Suite and the contractions had kicked in, still they deiced to hook me up to the hormone drip anyway to make things move a bit faster. It was horrible, because I was effectively stuck on the bed being monitored as they cranked up the intensity of my contractions every hour. I felt like I was being tortured and the epidural I was asking for didn't look like it would materialise as there were so many emergency c-sections going on. Thankfully the anaesthetist eventually turned up and put my epidural in, I was 8cm dilated and only just coping with the pain. The first dose of epidural didn't really seem to work properly, I could still feel the contractions and was getting more and more uncomfortable,I started being sick all over the bed and really felt like I needed a poo. When they checked me again an hour later I was fully dilated and ready to push. They topped up the epidural (which completely blocked the pain) and got me ready to push. After a few goes though they called for the consultant, the baby's heart rate was dipping with each contraction and I wasn't pushing very well because of hte epidural. The consultant decided to take me to theatre and try a ventouse delivery but said that I was very small down below and she wasn't sure the baby would be able to get out anyway.

They tried the ventouse and it didn't work so they prepped me for the c-section. I think the fact that I'd been in that theatre to have my cervical stitch put in really helped me to stay calm and amazingly Matt (who normally can't watch me have an injection) stayed for the whole thing - and even watched it! The c-section got quite hairy, the ventouse had pulled the baby's head downb into the birth canal and he was stuck. They were pulling his body out from my stomach and someone had their hands up my bits trying to push his head back, they seemed to be at it for ages and were calling for extra consultants and resus kits and I was sure he was going to die - it was absolutely terrifying. Anyway, they eventually got him out and he didn't cry right at first but they cleared the mucus from his mouth and nose and then he let everyone know he was alright. I can't remember being so thankful of anything in my life. Thry wrapped him up and put him on my chest and he was so perfect - and looked just like me when I was baby - which was really strange. Then Matt went away with him to do skin to skin and the shock of what had just happened hit me, I spent the next couple of hours just shaking violently, I didn't want to even think about hte c-section for a few days.

But Alex is so perfect and beautiful and the most gorgeous little angel in the world and we are so in love with him. I miss him so much when he's not in the same room as me. I can't believe how wonderful this feels and that I have such an amazinglittle son. He had to have lots of blood tests and was on a drip of antibiotics because he was really jaundiced and he didn't even cry with any of the needles, he is so brave and beautiful I am so proud of him :cloud9:

aww hunny u had a hard time but u have a gorgeous little boy out of it! x well done hope to join you soon in baby club!

X congratulations x

Oh honey, i'm so pleased for you!

It's weird - you just never know how these things will go. But sounds like you had to labour for ages with no pain relief, which is very brave. Was it the epidural that made you sick or just the pain? I hate being sick!!

Well, look at it this way - during this pregnancy you have now experienced almost EVERY different experience and aspect of pregnancy and birth. It's been so tough and such a long, complicated journey. But i bet you've come through it stronger, and you have the best prize - that lovely little boy who you nearly thought you wouldn't ever get to see. What an amazing achievement!!

Well done you - now enjoy being a brilliant mum xxx

Congratulations! You sure went through a lot, but isn't it all just so worth it!

Congratulations hun
Hope you are both well xx

awww congratulations.

its not nice when things dont go to plan, i was all set for birth pool and whale music and next minute i'm having a c section.
but he's here all safe and sound and you really deserve it too
massive massive well done to you. pregnancy and labour is all done with now and you have a gorgeous little boy to keep forever

Well Done
xxxxxxxxx

Congratulations and hope you have had plenty of rest :hugs:

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:I'm glad he arrived safe and well after all that.

Hope you are ok and not in too much pain babe:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->