All-Star Cheerleading

SLCMommy

Reaction score
Does anyone else here have a daughter who does All-Star Cheerleading? My daughter just started this season. She goes to Mac's Cheer Gym and is in Level 1. <3 . She is 8 years old.

No- but I was a cheerleader for the 4yrs I was in High School- and did summer cheer camps and competitions and daily practices etc...

Hope she enjoys it! It was honestly a great time in my young adult life (it's what brought me out of my shell at 14-- as I was ubber shy before that). I will say though, it's also been the cause of many injuries and ailments I'm still dealing with as an adult (knee, wrist and shoulder issues). It's hard on our bodies physcially for sure- obviously not as much at your daughters age ;) High School certainly was though! Not to deteer you at all- just something to keep in mind as she get's older. I know I could have taken better care when I was younger... Hope she has a blast!

The difference between High School & All-Stars, besides All-Stars legally being able to do harder stunts, is they have spring floors which I think catches a lot of impact from the jumps and tumbling. Safety is the key with stunting, as in many sports - it can be dangerous and cause broken bones and sprained ankles. Flyers must know how to fall correctly and bases must know they are to always catch the flyer. I think all sports.... higher level high school cheerleading, all-star cheerleading, football, gymnastics, hockey, etc carry risks of injuries but I think the ones listed above are probably in the more top for serious injuries if not trained properly. I was a high school varsity cheerleader myself. I agree with you - one time I fell on my ankle and it hurt for months after.

High School cheer has such variations, as some schools are your more true sideline cheerleaders and others are higher skill...I feel like still though that cheerleading is somewhat still lumped together. Even those who have watched it on ESPN. People don't truly realize how athletic cheerleading can be!

Oh for sure, a big difference in the flooring- which is why it's easier on smaller kids when they practice at a gymnastics center (like I did for tumbling as a kid)- in high school, we only had mates, that didn't do much to help when we were tumbling or throwing girls high in the air- and for sure any sport could cause injury- as they are physical. Personally, I was a base. I never went up in the air! But, we were a higher skilled group- we had a very intense coach and very strict rules. But loads of competitions and such. Which is why I had to come out of my shy shell as a Freshman ;)

We might be moving to Oregon in two years. If so, i'll be looking for the best All-Star gym LOL. Not sure if we'd moved to Salem or Portland just yet.

Well I'd highly recommend Portland (or one of the surrounding area's). We live in east Gresham- so a bit farther out from Portland, but good school and lots close by. Still not too far from city center in Portland- 30mins ;) Which I like. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->