Allergy? Help!

bumphope

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm hoping some one may have some experience here and can help me figure out what's going on..... This is only an issue at breakfast:

She has eaten a huge (and I mean huge) bowl of porridge for breakfast for weeks now. We use readybrek (changed from Ella's kitchen about 3 weeks ago) mixed with cows milk (changed from formula about 2 weeks ago) and a teaspoon of ground seeds.

the last few days, she eats a few spoons, then starts wriggling round in her highchair and grumbling. She settles, then we carry on with no problem.

This morning, the grumbling developed into crying and tears and generally being distressed- calmed her down and we tried fruit and yoghurt which was fine, then a bowl of readybrek with formula milk...... Then went back to the original porridge, another two mouthfuls and more tears.

I'm confused! It has been absolutely fine, so why would there be an issue all of a sudden?

Could the ground seeds be hurting her gums or something?

Could it be a milk allergy?

Every time she is 100% back to herself really quickly afterwards - I'd have thought an allergy would cause pain for longer?

The only other thing we've had is red skin round her mouth when we've given her eggs, reducing how often she has them has fixed the problem.

Sorry this is really long, I hope someone can help us!

X

I don't think that sounds anything like an allergy (if it was an allergy, she'd probably develop a rash or hives, possibly along with projectile vomiting and trouble breathing). Breakfast can be a bit of a tough meal. Sometimes they are too hungry from not eating much during the night. Do you offer milk before breakfast? That might help. Or it could be she just isn't that hungry and she might just want a little bit and be done. Any chance she's teething? That will cause problems with eating and they often refuse their food (sometimes it can come with a rash around the mouth like you described, caused by the extra dribble irritating the skin on the face). Also, you might consider trying finger foods. Does she want to feed herself? Babies who are getting frustrated with being spoonfed often behave a lot like what you described. But I think you can feel pretty comfortable it's not allergies in the absence of other symptoms. Also, sometimes they just get grumbly and upset at meals for no reason.

Thanks.... Yes, we offer her milk when she wakes then breakfast about an hour and a half after. We wondered if it might have been wind, so reduced her milk this morning, and still the same.

She did start refusing to be spoon fed a while ago but has always been happy with breakfast, so maybe that's it. I'll try her with a slice of toast or something tomorrow morning and see.

She's definitely got a bit of dribble rash, but the red comes up while she's eating eggs. I don't think that's an allergy either, rather she's had too many eggs! An omelette is my default choice if she refuses to eat what I've served up!

Could well be teething as nothing since her first two about three months ago, but seems funny if it only affects her at breakfast.

Will try letting her feed herself tomorrow morning and see what happens.....

Thank you.

X

Just wanted to report back and say that we are currently eating our usual porridge, thicker and cut into fingers (looks disgusting, I'm sure it would bounce if I dropped it on the floor) and no problem...... So it's the self feeding thing again! Thanks for that, I'd never have thought of it!

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->