Allergy to a BRAND of formula??

babyplease01

Reaction score
Okay, here's the story:
On July 4th, I decided that my DD wasn't satisfied on just my breast milk and I switched to formula. I started with enfamil newborn, just because it was one of the samples I had. On July 5, we left for the beach. While we were gone, I bought more of the enfamil newborn because that was what I had brought with me. She started breaking out in a rash and I thought it was the sunscreen causing it. It wasn't bad at first. Just like little pimples. Well when I got home and used up the enfamil newborn I had, I used my enfamil gentle sample. The rash got a little worse, but still not really bad and I thought maybe it was baby acne or a heat rash from sleeping skin to skin. So I started taking care of it and it started to clear up. But I was also using my similac and Gerber good start samples at the same time. Yesterday I ran out of formula and I bought enfamil gentle just because while she was on that before I decided to use my samples, I bought their reusable tub. And her belly has been OK on all the formulas. But today, te rash is back and worse than it ever was. Even her poor bottom is broken out in it.
So can she be allergic to enfamil?? I don't think it's milk sensitivity because her rash cleared up on other brands of milk based formula. Anyone else seen something like this??? I do have one sample of similac infant left that I didn't use because I wanted to keep her on a gentle formula, but I'm using t now because it's all I have. Thanks ladies.

What does the rash look like? Dd had a rash on her chest and back for about a month that looked like little red dots everywhere, like little pimples, that ended up being heat rash. I started applying baby powder after baths and it went away in a few days

What does the rash look like? Dd had a rash on her chest and back for about a month that looked like little red dots everywhere, like little pimples, that ended up being heat rash. I started applying baby powder after baths and it went away in a few days

It looks like a heat rash!! I was treating it like a heat rash and it cleared up, but yesterday after I started that formula again it broke back out BAD. And it was all over her face, in her scalp, her neck/chest/back....and then her diaper area. It looked like a heat rash but that just isn't the pattern I would expect from a heat rash. And the timing matches when I was feeding her that formula, so I really think that's what it is. I just can't understand why a brand of formula would break her out, I thought it was pretty much different combinations of the same stuff across the board. I've never heard of a formula brand allergy before. And a skin rash from it??? She was digesting fine. Just breaking out.

As much as it seems that you are on the right track...it just doesn't make sense. Formulas are really all the same so it's strange that lo would react to one and not others. I have a lo that has a reaction on one brand of powder but not liquid of the same brand....you just never know with these kids.

I would take a look at the ingredients in each one to see if there is something that you can possibly find. I agree with you that it doesn't seem like a milk allergy. But honestly worst case, I would say just avoid using the Enfamil. Also, just be careful when introducing solids in case there is a sensitivity to something.

As much as it seems that you are on the right track...it just doesn't make sense. Formulas are really all the same so it's strange that lo would react to one and not others. I have a lo that has a reaction on one brand of powder but not liquid of the same brand....you just never know with these kids.

I would take a look at the ingredients in each one to see if there is something that you can possibly find. I agree with you that it doesn't seem like a milk allergy. But honestly worst case, I would say just avoid using the Enfamil. Also, just be careful when introducing solids in case there is a sensitivity to something.

Really??? That's crazy!!! What reaction does your LO have??
She's been on similac for about 24h now and the rash looks like it's coming back, but definitely not as bad as it was on the enfamil yesterday. Also it's been pretty warm today and heat has always aggravated the rash so it may just be that. I'm torn between watching her close to make sure it's spreading and running to the store now to get some soy formula. I just don't want to make a drastic diet change again if I don't have to and I think if it was a sensitivity to milk she would react the same to all brands of milk based formula and not just one. So I kinda want to give it time to go away and her to get used to the formula and maybe we can establish something structured in her diet. What do you think?? For now I think I'm just gonna cool her down and see what that rash looks like.

She's been on similac for about 24h now and the rash looks like it's coming back, but definitely not as bad as it was on the enfamil yesterday. Also it's been pretty warm today and heat has always aggravated the rash so it may just be that. I'm torn between watching her close to make sure it's spreading and running to the store now to get some soy formula. I just don't want to make a drastic diet change again if I don't have to and I think if it was a sensitivity to milk she would react the same to all brands of milk based formula and not just one. So I kinda want to give it time to go away and her to get used to the formula and maybe we can establish something structured in her diet. What do you think?? For now I think I'm just gonna cool her down and see what that rash looks like.

An update on this, it seems to have been the heat aggravating the rash, not a new rash starting. I put her in a cooler room and the redness cleared right up!!

If you genuinely think it's an allergic reaction and it persists, I would see your doctor and get it checked and not try to diagnose it on your own. If you find just using a different brand clears it up, I'd do that. Usually though a food allergy would cause some digestive discomfort too, so it could be its totally coincidental. My daughter had a bad reaction to a particular brand, but it causes reflux, not an allergic reaction. Basically, she'd scream in pain with each feed and then projectile vomit everywhere after. This only happened when we changed brands and after a week, it occurred to me that they seemed to be linked. We switched back right away and it stopped and never happened again. If it continues to occur periodically whatever brand you use, definitely see your doctor though. I wouldn't switch to soy without medical advice (soy carries its own risks and also many babies who have a dairy allergy are also allergic to soy). Hopefully it continues to clear up for you.

An update on this, it seems to have been the heat aggravating the rash, not a new rash starting. I put her in a cooler room and the redness cleared right up!!

Glad you figured it out!

I would check with her Dr but babies seem to get all sorts of rashes and most of it is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->