Almost 5 yr old still can't pedal

kitabird

Mammy to 2 boys
Reaction score
Anyone else? A lot of kids in his class can ride bikes without stabilisers, but Xander still doesn't get how pedaling works. He's had a bike (with stabilisers) for over a year and we've gotten nowhere! I've tried pushing him on a trike with his feet on the pedals so he can feel how they go round, but that hasn't helped. He just can't grasp the idea :shrug:

Yep my lo is the same. It will happen for them it just takes longer.

Yep Megan cant either, she does a kind of half pedal and just cant make it go all the way round!! One of her good friends has been riding a bike for two years!

my daughter can pedal but she still has stablisers she used to push the pedals so far and then wind them back again until I taught her she just had to push reeeeeeaaaaallly hard then she realised they went all the way around she thought they only went so far :haha:

my son was 5 in december and he has only just this past weekend managed to do a full peddle on a small bike. Still wont do it on his proper bike.

my daughter can pedal but she still has stablisers she used to push the pedals so far and then wind them back again until I taught her she just had to push reeeeeeaaaaallly hard then she realised they went all the way around she thought they only went so far :haha:

Yep, that's what he does - he pushes forwards with one foot then backwards with the other. I don't know how many hundred times I've told him/showed him not to go backwards, drives me insane!

Yep, that's what he does - he pushes forwards with one foot then backwards with the other. I don't know how many hundred times I've told him/showed him not to go backwards, drives me insane!

I wouldn't worry, DS used to do the same, then he learned how to pedal properly few months back. riding a bike is not his thing, he still uses it with stabilizers also he had a balance bike when he was younger and he was good with it. he prefers his scooter over the bike

Mine is 5 and still won't actually try to learn to peddle. He loves his scooter and is really fast on it so I can't get him to see the point of learning to ride a bike or try peddling.

Joshua was 6 in December. He has no interest in learning to ride a bike. We have made it our mission to get him riding a bike by the end of the Summer this year.

He's perfectly happy with his Scooter which has contributed to his lack of interest but he wasn't that interested in before he got the Scooter.

He's definitely more interested in his scooter and finally got the hang of that a few weeks ago. I'm hoping that will help with his coordination. Don't want him to end up being 10 and get made fun of for not being able to ride a bike :wacko:

I would say that is normal :)

Mine was 5.5 when he learned it. My cousin was almost 7!:winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"