Already having anxiety over labor! Need some reassuring words right now!

LoveMy2Boys2

Reaction score
This is my 3rd.....never had a worry before.....so why am I terrified now?! I so badly want to try natural labor with no drugs, the side effects from my last Epi lingered for years! But the thought of the pain of natural freaks me out too, especially because I had horrid back labor with my others..... I need pros and cons of an epidural and natural..... Anyone have any stories or thoughts to share? I have 7 more months to let my decision sink in.... Figure I'll start working on it now! Lol

I don't know where you are however I know that there are many hospitals that will give you "laughing gas" rather than epi. They say that you kinda feel the pain but you don't care about it. I think I would like to try that one.

Haha that definitely lightened up my thoughts !! I guess there's always the semi drug option!! I also have tachycardia (rapid heart rate) I didn't have this with my other pregnancies..... Wondering which would be worse , side effects from drugs or the intensity of pain and anxiety! Ahhhh

I had a natural birth with my son. I was definitely scared but when the moments came I relaxed and let nature take its course. The more relaxed you are the better. I labored for 56 hours total and 25 of those hours were also horrid back labor. You can totally do it! I plan on another natural birth this time. I recovered so quickly and the natural high after the birth feels so amazing!

Hoping everything works out for me to have another med free birth!

I had 2 natural births. 1st I used gas and air and had a pethadine injection. Second I had nothing at all.

They are hard fricking work. Labour is tough and damn painful.

I always liked the idea of an epidural but if anything jappened because of it I don't think I could ever forgive myself.

I was pretty traumatised after my first labour and spent my whole second pregnancy terrified. I knew my problem was coping with the pain. My first labour i didn't cope at all and was hysterical for hours. So for my second pregnancy I researched a lot of hypnobirthing techniques. I found hypnobirthing itself total horseshit all that "there's no pain if you go in not expecting pain" and the books are so vastly negative in terms of hospital deliveries. Making it seem that a hospitals only desire is to cut women open and traumatise them. However the coping techniques are really good. I practiced and used them throught my whole second labour. I tried so hard not to give into the pain so once I did i knew it would be all over. I finally cracked at 2:35am and got upset that I couldn't last only to squeeze him out at 2:45am. I spent my whole labour convincing myself that the pain wasn't bad enough to warrant telling a midwife. Looking back the pain was just as bad and just as strong as my first. Worst in fact because I had horrific back pain. But my mental exercises and. Refusal to crack got mw through to the end

Someone else mentioned relaxing! That's a big one. It's hard to get overwhelmed and upset when you're relaxed. A midwife who checked on me turned out t9 ne a hypnobirthing instructor. She gave me a tip that with every contraction when you feel pain you clench your muscles without realising. She said you have to pay attention to this because everytime you do it you're working agaonst5 the contractions. So when yoyou do it you have to say RELAX and really drop your shoulders and let go of whatever part of your body your tensing

Wow, thanks so much ladies!!! I really appreciate your input and tips!! It's something I really truly want to do, I am just so terrified!!! Maybe I should take a class this time? I never took classes before ..... Has anyone taken them? Do they help? I'll def be reading up!! I tried to hold off on an Epi with my last but the back labor was so bad and I have in :/ I didn't have coping skills either.... Wasn't prepared the way I want to try this time..... I ended up with a tingly numb back off and in through the day for 3 years!!! It's finally almost gone and my baby is now 4!! I also had a horribly weak bladder from it also..... Was supposed to have a surgery but knee I wanted another baby do I resorted to lots of physical therapy to get perlvic floor muscles working stronger ..... All from the epidural!! Noooo thanks !!!

Definitely take a class! You will feel so much more confident once armed with information and coping techniques.

I sure wish we had more hospitals that offered nitrous. There are only a few in the US. I'd much prefer that to epi or narcotics...

I had natural labor with my first 3, all induced. With my 4th, I was also induced, but was not progressing, probably because of his size. He was 2 lbs bigger than my other 3. Anyway, I opted for the epidural because we were headed toward c-section if I didn't dilate . Fortunately, it worked. I fully intend to go natural again. I had problems for a long time after that birth, still dealing with some. I believe the epidural caused most of them. GL! I would love also NOT to be induced. Idk, but in my head natural labor isn't as bad as induced labor, lol. I have no evidence to back that up though, just wishful thinking!! I will say, I ALWAYS make them wait until I'm like 7 before breaking my water. Makes a HUGE difference in pain level. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. For me, it doesn't really start to hurt until they break my water.

I had a natural labour with minimal pain relief but in the UK entonox (a mix of nitrous oxide and oxygen) is offered as the first pain relief option and I did find focussing on breathing that helped a lot. I actually stopped using it when I was pushing and didn't have anything else. I went in pretty calm though which I do think helps. The more frightened you are the more you tense up and the harder the labour can be. Maybe look into hypnobirthing techniques, they help you focus. It will be painful but you can find techniques to manage the pain without drugs.

If you do decide to go and take some classes I do strongly recommend having an instructor with an open mind. My instructor was extremely pro natural birth and pro breast feeding and used scare tactics about birth interventions. After the first class I left crying because I was soo scared. She also made fun of me for getting emotional during the birth video... I was crying happy tears and she made a point to laugh at me openly in front of the whole class... I will personally never do the classes again but there are actual instructors who do know how to be professional and offer great advice. I was just unfortunate...

If possible, hire a doula! Beat decision I ever made!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->