Am I as crazy as the doctor seems to think

Firef1y72

Reaction score
Hi

A bit of background info to start off with, this will be my 6 th baby with the previous 5 all having been born in hospital with normal vaginal deliveries and no complications with the exception that one is a preemie (no 3). I've not had any excessive bleeding after any of my births or any other problems.

This will be my last baby and as soon as I got two lines I knew I wanted a home birth but thought that it would be laughed away as not only is this my 6 th but I am also 41 and had a starting bmi of 37 meaning I'm considered high risk. While my pregnancy hasn't exactly been a walk in the park with hyperemesis and spd I've had no complications that would cause problems in labour, my blood pressure is perfect and I've jumped through hoops to complete tests that have not been recommendedin any other of my pregnancies where I was about the same weight but obviously younger. I passed the gtt with flying colours and had a growth scan today which showed baby is a little larger than average but not enormous he's also head down and cephalic meaning he's in an almost perfect position for labour.

After reading on here I had decided that a home birth was still for me and had persuaded the midwife that I was making an informed decision and knew the risks and so have a home visit booked for next week but she did say I needed to inform the consultant of my decision and that he would most likely be unhappy from with my choices. To say he was unhappy is a real understatement. Firstly it was a registrar I saw instead of a consultant, then he spent a good 10 minutes trying to scare me and telling me that he felt both a home birth and physiological 3rd stage were unsafe and that I should be in hospital with a cannula in place to give birth and have a managed 3rd stage. When that didn't work he spent some time looking for someone else to come in and scare me and when he couldn't find anyone he decided I needed to go back to talk to the consultant. Bearing in mind that I live in a rural location and it takes 2 agonisng bus journeys for me to get to the hospital and another 2 to get back my partner lost it a bit at that point as I was already in agony from the spd and it'll be even worse in a couple of weeks time. So we ended up with the senior midwife being brought into the room to try a calm things. She seemed a little more understanding and persuaded the registrar that I really didn't need to come back as I had the head my local midwife team visiting me next week to go over the risks and benefits with me.

So am I really so crazy to want to have this baby at home with a minimum of intervention

(Oh and an example of this doctor's attitude is that I was prescribed codiene for the spd pain about 4 months ago being told I could take up to 8 a day but I only take 1 of an evening on a normal day or 2 if it's really bad so as to reduce the risks to baby (I'm still using the months supply I was given 4-5 months ago) and he tried to persuade me to was fine to take the 8 daily)

I think that doctors and OBs are always going to advise against home births as they're taught in med school that child birth is a medical procedure that needs to happen at a hospital. Obviously you know that in reality it's a perfectly natural and normal process and in the rare occasion that something goes wrong with delivery at home, the midwives are trained to recognize it early and arrange hospital transfer straight away. I think you're making the right decision for you and your baby! I'd definitely be having a home birth if I could, but they're not 'legal' where I live so I'm going through a MLU which is the next best thing! :) good luck! x

I don't think you are crazy. You seem completely rational and sane to me. Why would you not birth at home since you seem to have no issues birthing and it's what you want. Hopefully your local midwife team will be more reasonable and supportive. Good luck.

Hi sorry but I do agree with the doctors,, having that many of babies come with a high risk of bleeding out after delivery,
I don't mind to scare you but if anything like that happens you do need to be in. Hospital and if you do live that far away from the hospital and something bad happened it would proberly be too late....

Just because you have had 5 births with no problems doesn't mean much if this one there is a problem...

Please think about things carefully ....

Just to add I have also got 6 children and I was very lucky to have no problems during delivery s ...

Good luck with whatever you decide...how old are your other children?
mine are 16, 12, 10,8,5,and 2
Anyway better go now big pile of ironing needs doing...

your no crazier than me whos on my 4th baby and 42 wks today by their books and refusing induction because there is no medical grounds and personally i think my dates are more like 41+1 anyway, they are all up in arms because ds2 was big at 10lb 12oz but he wasnt a barrel chested child he was slim and slender just really really long lol, they worry because i needed a transfusion after having him because of my iron levels which are actually fine this time around and Im being a good girl and taking my supplements as Im told to keep them happy. 3 sweeps 1 ctg , 1 scan and no baby yet and im happy to wait baby out but the staff at the hospital and everyone is looking at me like i have 5 heads

Well I met with the head midwife today and everything is set for me to have my homebirth as long as I don't go into labour in the next 15 days.

Midwife was actually lovely and the complete opposite of the registrar. She said that I was obviously well informed about any risks and is even happy for my to have a physiological 3rd stage.

I'm so excited now and am seriously looking forward to this labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->