Am I being irrational?

HopefulCookie

Reaction score
Some background as to why I'm ranting: I've told everyone I know I want to be team yellow but couldn't help myself and found out and wanted to keep it my own little secret and make it a surprise for the family since its the first gandchild in my own family.

Who I shared my so called secret with:
A close friend of mine who is pregnant along with me and we're sharing our experiences. She knows no one in my circle so I don't have to worry about her spreading my so called secret.

My parents - My mother desperately wanted to know so she constantly pestered me to tell her once I found out. Honestly I didn't want to tell my mother, she keeps wanting me to have sons While I want/prefer daughters. I threatened her that if she spilled the beans that I'd become a big pain in the tush for her. I wasn't keen on telling my dad since he tends to spill it but surprisingly he's kept mum about it. Also he was suffering from oral cancer (never smoked a day in his life) and I feared I'd regret not telling him. Thankfully he's being treated and is doing much better.

Who I didn't want to tell:
My mother in law - she tends to spill the beans and she did. She told her kids what we're having. I didn't want to tell her but DH made me tell her, because my parents knew so then his mother HAD to know. She also kept pestering us to tell her.

My siblings and their wives - My brothers who are older than me told not to have kids until I was settled and had a career. Neither brother has a kid of their own for their own reasons and I never tell them why they don't have kids or why they want them if and when they do. Its their business not mine.

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law. BIL told my husband the same reason not to start a family as my brothers. SIL told me the same thing that I should be my husband's support and work to support him even though she herself had kids right away after marriage and while her DH was unemployed and she was 19. Also both BIL and SIL did not go around announcing what they were having or even if they were even having a kid at all. They were hush hush about their stuff.

These guys all made sure to tell me not to have kids yet and somehow now they deserve to know everything about this child and have a say how this child is raised.

Now the part that hurts me most. My husband didn't want to know since he can't keep things to himself, then when he found I knew. He pestered me to tell him, so I did and asked him to keep it to himself since I wanted it to be a surprise. Today he blurts what we're having in front of my brother and his wife and then tried covering up but was unsuccessful. YET when his brother was going to have a kid, HE knew, HE also knew that it was going to be a boy and not once did he tell me this because he was told by his brother not to pass this info on. His brother lives in another country soooo no way was I going to find out unless my DH told me which he did not. I found out about the news when baby was born. How nice. DH makes me tell his mother who then tells the rest of the inlaws and then tells me its not a big deal because their family and says I should just go ahead and tell my siblings because now his siblings know. WTF? If I had wanted to tell them I would have done so myself and would have done that long ago but I didnt want to hence making him swear he'd keep his mouth shut. I feel I can't trust him with something so basic. I feel hurt. Am I being irrational? This was supposed to be something for us to surprise them with.

Gosh can't anything be a surprise/special/secret/our own to keep? Both DH and I are the youngest in our families and always told what to do and how to do it. Its unfair we have to tell them everything and follow what they think is right.

I guess it's difficult to keep a surprise when you tell someone :shrug: if you had found but kept it to yourself no one else would be none the wiser. But people shouldn't be pressuring you to tell them it's up to you when you tell.

That's why we didn't find out because we knew its too much of a big secret to keep quiet.

Hope you feel better about it all soon :hugs:xx

Personally if I wanted to surprise people with it then I wouldn't have told anyone, not even my parents.

I was team yellow with my first and people didnt believe me so I was constanstly pestered.

With this one we found out and I wanted to keep it a secret but I knew that once it got out to family there was no stopping it

I would be upset if I were in your shoes. I don't think it's right for others to tell and spill your news. Unfortunately, that's the nature of people, ESP when it comes to baby news.

We are team yellow. I kinda wanted to know this time, but my husband didn't want to find out again, so I didn't either. I knew that there was no way that this kind of thing could stay " secret"

Sorry people are pissing you off about this whole thing, I would be annoyed too. But maybe next baby you guys can truly stay team yellow!

Unfortunately the best kept secret is the secret kept to yourself. =( Sorry they are all buttheads. :hugs:

Thanks you ladies for replying. I completely agree with you once one family member knows, the news isn't going to stay safe. I've told my husband right off, next baby we're not finding out. IF by some tragedy I find out I am NOT telling him because he can't keep it to himself. I also told my mom the same because her constant guilt trips made me feel awful ending up making me tell her and since I told her I had to tell my MIL. So next time if she doesn't know neither will my MIL, who is like a mega phone.

We had specifically told my MIL not to pass it on and then she does and says oh I didn't know you wanted to keep it a secret. BUT when her eldest son's wife was expecting not once did she pass on they were expecting or that it was going to be a boy. Baby was born in August and both MIL and my DH knew since January/February. That same BIL got super upset with my DH for not telling him about ours the moment we found out and that he had to "learn" about it from his mother/my MIL.

Family is terrible, they make me all emotional. I feel sometimes I can't even trust my own DH no matter how much I want to. To him I'm over reacting but if it wasn't a big deal then why did he keep his brother's baby a secret from me?

Well as far as secrets go, we still havent found out what your having so your not doing that bad!! LOL

This kinda happened to me but with the name we picked out. I wanted to keep it a surprise from everyone and just have me and DH know. I should have told people that we still didn't have a name picked out because once everyone knew we picked a name out, we got pestered to tell them (ever notice just how good mothers are at laying on thick guilt trips?)

Long story short, everyone on both sides of our families know the name now. Next time, I'm lying to their faces! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->